How much on average do you spend on your everyday handbags?

(303 Posts)
Bumblequeen Sat 03-Aug-13 13:03:59

I tend to buy non leather handbags for £30-£40. Now in my late 30's I would rather invest in leather bags that look better and last longer.

I have a friend who only wears designer bags and they always look so classy. She has at least 15 though.

For me it's the design, the quality and a little bit the status. Money talks in my DH's and my industry - status bags are indicative of your success which inspires confidence in clients.

As for the money, well, we have plenty of holidays, own our home, car etc, our toddler children have healthy savings accounts etc so we're at a point where I can spend whatever on bags and DH on bespoke suits (and he definitely spends more) and hell, we work hard for it, so why not?

Conversely, I spent next to nothing on my wedding day and my dress was off the peg from Coast, because I cannot get excited about anything that will be useful for just one day. We all have different priorities, and I don't judge anyone for theirs (unless it's crack, in which case I do judge).

Xmasbaby11 Sat 03-Aug-13 21:23:10

I spend between £50-100 for a reasonable quality handbag.

choccyp1g Portugal Sat 03-Aug-13 21:23:29

If someone were to offer me a spare of the exact same bag I have at the moment, I'd happily pay £50 for it, and keep it in the cupboard until this one falls apart.

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 03-Aug-13 21:33:54

I couldn't justify £1000 on a bag. I just couldn't bring myself to spend that much. I have a Coach bag from the outlet shop, which cost around £150 and a Delvaux bag, which was a present and cost considerably more (it cost me £200 to have the thing "renovated"). I have a huge and fabulous turquoise leather one which I bought in NY about 8 years ago for $60 and it just keeps going.

GreenShadow England Sat 03-Aug-13 21:51:08

Now I just couldn't spend a lot (ie over £50) on a bag, because until you've used it, you never know if it's right. I don't judge on looks but on how practical it is.
Also, I quite like being able to buy a new bag every couple of years, which I couldn't if I'd spent a lot of money on one.

Missbopeep Sat 03-Aug-13 21:53:41

For me it's the design, the quality and a little bit the status. Money talks in my DH's and my industry - status bags are indicative of your success which inspires confidence in clients.

Thank god my 'industry' is not so shallow as that and the clients aren't so gullible.

Really.

MrsSchadenfreude Sat 03-Aug-13 21:55:55

I agree Missbopeep. I'm in Paris, and no-one here would know what a Mulberry bag is. If you felt the need to keep up with the Duponts, it would have to be Hermes, Chanel or Louis Vuitton.

Not entirely sure of the need for inverted commas, industry is a perfectly appropriate term.

And sneer as you will, it keeps us in a very nice lifestyle and continues to remain a growth 'industry' in spite of the current climate.

I really don't understand why things need to get so snipey and personal on here sometimes, it's immensely tedious.

Elsiequadrille Sat 03-Aug-13 22:10:29

I'd like one of those Hermes Kelly bags for everyday, but they're a little out of my comfort zone as regards price (which I think is in the thousands).

Amber - I always find it a bit strange to reconcile my own very Northern idea of what is, 'appropriate' to spend on something, with people on here who I know to be extremely sensible and clever and likeable and so on, but who have an absolute polar opposite opinion to me on such things.

I KNOW that you are not shallow, or silly, or any of the things I'd generally equate to my idea of people who'd spend massive sums on something I deem to be so unimportant - so it always throws me a bit to see you talking about such spending as if it's normal (which, of course, it is to you).

I'm meandering - what I'm trying to say is that I'm not wanting to be snipey or personal at all, because I 'know' you're not that person my upbringing/nature tells me that people who buy expensive handbags are - but that it confuses me!

That probably didn't make any sense at all.

BellaVita Sat 03-Aug-13 22:17:06

TK Maxx every time here for bags.

Last year I bought a lovely Osprey one for £55 which should have been £150 and a Paul Costello one for £60 which should have been £195 - this one was current season and was being sold in John Lewis.

chattychattyboomba Sat 03-Aug-13 22:32:13

I have to say, I have a few bags and they have all lasted me a very long time. My Bally suede black leather bag I have had for 8 years, I have a Burberry beige leather for 5, my cream Prada leather tote I have had for over 2 years (bought as a nice alternative to nappy bag- how naive was I?!) lol
They are all in pretty good condition and I enjoy carrying them around because they go with everything although after 8 years (and a drunken wine spillage incident) the suede is looking a little worse for wear so I have my eye on the navy mulberry Alexa bag ... Mmm bags and shoes... My weakness.

Missbopeep Sat 03-Aug-13 22:37:37

Amber- the inverted commas referred to my 'industry' if you read carefully- not yours.

It's not a personal snipe at you- it's aimed at the whole 'labels impress' culture as a sign of wealth and status. I've nothing against capitalism or your success- far from it.

The point was that women ( and men) are constantly ripped off by the fashion industry who think that by putting a crazy price tag on something it makes it worth aspiring to own - gives the owner 'status' and a sign of success. It really is bollocks. It's exactly the same idea that kids have to have designer trainers to be accepted by their peers, except this time we are talking women and bags ( or shoes, or whatever.)

noviceoftheday Sat 03-Aug-13 22:45:28

I don't have an average. i have bought 3 this year. A Chloe Marcie which was (I think) £1,200, a balenciaga giant city which was the same price and a Rag & Bone small pilot which was a bargain, £197 from £600. I have also been given two bags as gifts, a Karen Millen and a Christian Louboutin.

I like bags. Earn my money legally, don't owe anyone a dime and don't rob old ladies or my kids bank accounts to pay for the bags. I give to charity and don't feel the need to buy a park bench. Equally, they are not my be all and end all. As someone else said they are just bags FFSgrin

Earthymama Sat 03-Aug-13 23:01:21

I was like the poster upthread's MIL in the past. I had to have a bag and matching shoes. I was brought up as an Anglican and there would have been blush faces in church if I hadn't done so. It's taken millennia for me to think you don't wear gloves to a wedding.

I am not so ancient honestly!!

Nowadays I don't really follow fashion so much, though as I can't sew or make bags I have to buy what's available. I love Scaramanga satchels; I have one and DP has two. I found it a little heavy in the summer without jumpers and coats as I have really sensitive skin.
So today I bought a Cath Kidston rucksack as it has birds on it and I am very fond of birds. It made me smile and I will use it on holiday later in the year.

I could not pay 100s or 1000s for a bag; it is just not my way of living my life.

I think this is one of the things that we discuss on MN where people find it very difficult to truly understand the other point of view.

santamarianovella Sat 03-Aug-13 23:39:10

but why do people think that spending over a thousand pounds on a handbag or shoes or clothes as being silly or vain?, i spend a lot of money on those things, we can afford it,and like amber my job required me to look immaculate,i was meeting important clients on a daily basis,and wearing high quality clothes gives a good reflection of how the firm is.
the op asked a simple question,and people have answered back,so there is no need for this negative attitude .

InMyShreddies Sat 03-Aug-13 23:42:50

I bought my first designer bag to celebrate getting my dream job. I thought that would be the only expensive bag I ever bought at around £500 grin oops

I've since spent £450 on another day bag, £100-200 on 3 evening / impractical bags, and £160 on a small crossbody which I wear day to day. And most recently a Mulberry Mitzy from an outlet for I think £350 or so, in perfect condition, just a discontinued bag. I've always lusted after, and it seems excellent quality, even compared with the quality of my other 'designer' bags. Can't speak for the newer designs, but the Mitzy is tough as old nails. It's big, cross body and fits a small change bag and an iPad as well as all my usual crap so has replaced my changing bag.

I sold a couple of older bags and a load of clothes on Ebay to fund the Mitzy though - I'm a part-time SAHM so can't justify much atm but it does 'lift' my wardrobe I think if I'm carrying a stunning bag - I was wearing an outfit wholly from Primark the other day but with a designer bag felt great.

InMyShreddies Sat 03-Aug-13 23:44:43

I'd buy a Balenciaga if I had the ££ novice envy

Bumblequeen Sat 03-Aug-13 23:52:29

I too like Hermes bags. They are well structured.

I always notice a nice bag.

Twirlyhot Sun 04-Aug-13 00:06:26

There are bags that cost ££££ and are a bit crap/fashion victim/label over substance. There are bags that cost £££ and are truly beautiful. Pick the bag not the label/price tag.

noviceoftheday Sun 04-Aug-13 07:02:36

Shreddies, I have the Mitzy Hobo too. I agree it's a great bag as it seems like a bottomless bag. I only have the medium size one as well! I think it's one if the best bags that Mulberry did, they don't actually make it anymore. The Balenciaga was one I stalked for about 3 years but I only wanted in a royal blue as i had seen it in Paris. I finally found it in Browns. It's a great bag.

I notice bags too, whatever the cost as I love a beautiful bag. I work in the City too (i think from memory as do Amber and her dh) and image is very important. I don't think you need to necessarily buy expensive but it means if you buy cheaper and it doesn't last as well, you would certainly need to replace more often so it looks good. It's interesting that I regularly complimented by men on my bags. People do notice.

MarshaBrady Sun 04-Aug-13 08:32:52

I haven't spent that much, but half. I bought it because of the design, if I work it's from home. I thought finally a small bag I can use everyday with dc that is lovely and not twee.

sphynx Sun 04-Aug-13 09:36:13

Everybody has their thing and for me it is handbags. I have saved up for my bags and now have some classic Mulberry, Balenciaga and Louis Vuitton. I use them all and rotate them. Using them makes me very happy each day so I don't feel guilty buying them. As I said bags are my 'thing' so I notice other people's bags and will drool over them. Those of you not into bags will not understand & I don't expect you to. My family and friends are not all into using designer bags and many can not tell how much mine cost. I do not discuss my bags with them for this reason. My sil bought a fake mulberry Ledbury on holiday and she is very happy with her purchase. I have the genuine Ledbury and I am very happy with mine, each to our own. I don't judge other's. you can spend your money on clothes, holidays, going out, etc. I wasted alot of money on £100 bags and then went off them very quick. The bags I have now I will never sell they will last many years & will always have a good resale value if I did want to sell them.

sphynx Sun 04-Aug-13 09:36:55

sphynx Sun 04-Aug-13 09:37:42

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now