How much on average do you spend on your everyday handbags?

(303 Posts)
Bumblequeen Sat 03-Aug-13 13:03:59

I tend to buy non leather handbags for £30-£40. Now in my late 30's I would rather invest in leather bags that look better and last longer.

I have a friend who only wears designer bags and they always look so classy. She has at least 15 though.

SundaySimmons Sat 03-Aug-13 17:13:43

I look out for bargains. I've just bought two Modalu Pippa bags, both for under £100 each. A small toffee one and a larger blue one. Both new from Bargaincrazy. Sold out now though.

Belindaearl2 Sat 03-Aug-13 17:35:35

I have an Osprey Berlin for work/everyday £145, bday present +2yrs ago. For weekend/going out I've 3leather bags (M&S even older).
Same as you I'd spend more rather than 'buy cheaply-buy twice'.
My MIL buys a bag with every outfit envy

Elsiequadrille Sat 03-Aug-13 17:51:28

I was going to buy another Mulberry, a small bayswater (with the across the body strap) but three people I see regularly have one and it's put me off somehow.

Silverfoxballs Sat 03-Aug-13 17:53:34

Tk maxx website is your friend.

40 leather bag for 15 and 65 leather purse for 11 quid

CointreauVersial Sat 03-Aug-13 17:59:57

I would say £40-£70. I have four or five leather bags that I swap around regularly, depending on the season, or what I'm wearing.

I'm shocked by all the comments about poor quality Mulberry. At least if my £40 handbag starts to look a little rough around the edges after a couple of years it's no huge loss. And I don't understand why, in this country, anyone would have a handbag that is ruined by a bit of rain!

Mumsnut Sat 03-Aug-13 18:16:46

For everyday, I tend to use something from Boden (v good quality leather imo). This is because I still have small children, and tote crayons, juices, sweets, snacks, wipes, all sorts of LEAKY things about with me.

When I go out sans dc, i use a Mulberry or Chloe, but i take everything out, wrap them in their covers, and put them away as soon as i get home.

enderwoman Sat 03-Aug-13 18:36:26

Mines an Italian leather bag from a brand I've never heard of. It cost about£100 but looks new 5 years later. Got it in a department store so I assume its a decent brand

I switch between a few mulberries, an Alexander Wang and a Michael Kors for day to day (lugging my laptop to work etc). On days with the kids I tend to carry smaller bags. I have only one low cost bag - a Zatchel saddle bag that was £30. The most I've spent was £750, but I'm currently saving for a four figure number.

I don't own a handbag currently. Only a baby changing bag.
I wouldn't spend more than 12 pounds though.

CeeceeBloomingdale Sat 03-Aug-13 19:09:34

Between £10 and £50. Always leather, always new and normally in a very good sale.

Corygal Sat 03-Aug-13 19:31:32

After years of cheapos, I've gone Mulberry, Miu Miu, Jaeger, Coach and Alison van der Velde.

I knock hell out of my bags and quality is the only way I don't look like a homeless.

But I've got them all in the sales, and I got the Mulberry for a fiver in a chazza.

Missbopeep Sat 03-Aug-13 19:50:47

Out of interest, if anyone pays around £1K for a bag, what does that mean to you? Is it the label, the status, the design, or what?
If you have to save for it, rather than it being small change, would you not rather have something else more meaningful- eg an 'experience', a holiday?
Just asking.

justasecond Sat 03-Aug-13 19:55:39

I have stuck to the £100-200 mark so far. I have a few Coccinelle and Francesco Biasia which have lasted for years and are very durable and well made with good quality leather. I also have a couple from Via Repubblica (sold in Russell and Bromley) that I have had for years and look new. If I really wanted to I could get a designer bag (I would choose a chloe paraty!) but I just don't have the sort of life where I could use it without feeling conspicuous or showy.

Missbopeep - I wonder that too. It seems such a lot of money.

mystaplerisevil Sat 03-Aug-13 20:00:15

for work zara bags (big enough for lunch etc) that cost about £20 but for general handbag i usually spend about £50 and buy them from TK Maxx, my latest one is a really nice black leather gery weber bag that retailed for £99!

Missbopeep Sat 03-Aug-13 20:14:54

It IS a lot of money considering what else you could buy- like 'starter' cars for the DCs which we've done!

Don't get me wrong- I'm not badly off and could go out tomorrow and buy rather a lot of very expensive bags- but I won't because to me it seems a rip off and you're paying for the name once you exclude the cost of the leather and making a quality product.
I don't have any issue with people who do, but I just wonder what the attraction is.

treaclesoda Sat 03-Aug-13 20:18:19

I only have one good quality leather handbag. Cost £2 or thereabouts from a charity shop. Was like new and I hope to get many years wear from it.

If I were buying a leather bag I'd hope to pay less than £80, probably in TK Maxx. £800 handbags do look very beautiful but they will never be a reality for me - even if I had that sort of money to spend on myself, I couldn't bear to spend it on a handbag.

Elsiequadrille Sat 03-Aug-13 20:18:27

I've only ever paid a few hundred (lower end Mulberry) but it's for the quality, combined with simplicity of style. I haven't found anything cheaper of the same, or even close, quality.

santamarianovella Sat 03-Aug-13 20:18:27

missbopep,my bags are very meaningful to megrini have a chloe and a celine,and they cost over 1k each,i spend within my means,im attracted to the design of the bag,not the status,

sparkle12mar08 Sat 03-Aug-13 20:25:06

My current 'handbag' is an over the body canvas one from the local market, about £15. I'm never going to fit in here, am I?!

It's a blue base with flowers on, pretty and I like it.

Vibbe Sat 03-Aug-13 20:52:04

Missbopeep, I like the design of the bags I buy. The quality (despite being disappointed in Mulberry, which I am no longer buying due to this) and longevity are also important.

I have a friend who used to buy a new cheap bag every month or so. I bought one bag and used it for years. The price per time used was lower for me than for her (and I ended up spending less on my one bag than she did on her many bags) - and I had something I really loved, while she had something she was happy to replace often.

For me, it's all about priorities and interests - you might prefer a holiday, I don't. I don't like having to justify that, as it's a personal preference.

I get that people don't understand why I'd spend a smaller fortune on a bag, but at the same time, I don't understand why people ask. I don't go around asking people why they've spent that amount money on that holiday they've booked or why they didn't buy a cheaper car, or instead get a bus pass and spend the rest on something meaningful grin

Missbopeep Sat 03-Aug-13 21:00:21

It was the OP who asked how much people spent on a bag.

No one asked you to justify your spending- you've done it voluntarily.

TBH I don't think the 'buy expensive lasts longer' is true. To a certain extent perhaps, at the extreme end of cheapness. eg a bag for £20.

I buy a new bag usually when the ones I'm using wear out. They all last for at least 2 years before looking remotely shabby. I've never actually found any link between reasonable quality for under £100 and longevity, and 10x that and longevity- seeing friends' bags costing that.

I think what I am trying to get at is not people justifying their spending, but why bags cost £1K. compared to a 2nd hand car, a washing machine or a sofa, it's not the workmanship or materials that are costing that- it is the name.

santamarianovella Sat 03-Aug-13 21:08:13

vibbe i agree,as for experiences,going to the boutique trying on different bags and buying the bag is the most amazing experience imo grin.

Missbopeep Sat 03-Aug-13 21:15:26

Oh FFS- it's a bloody bag ! grin

choccyp1g Portugal Sat 03-Aug-13 21:18:10

My last bag lasted about 8 years and cost £6 from Matalan. Well, actually it didn't cost anything because I bought a pile of stuff and they accidentally didn't charge me for it. To be fair it needed replacing for about a year before I found a replacement.

My current bag is from a charity shop (brand new, fake leather, rucksack style) cost me £10. I've had it over a year, use it every day and it is showing no signs of wear at all.

I think the whole "designer" handbag thing is a con-trick played on us by the fashion industry. FGS all bags are designed, they don't just spring fully formed out of the earth.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now