How much on average do you spend on your everyday handbags?

(303 Posts)
Bumblequeen Sat 03-Aug-13 13:03:59

I tend to buy non leather handbags for £30-£40. Now in my late 30's I would rather invest in leather bags that look better and last longer.

I have a friend who only wears designer bags and they always look so classy. She has at least 15 though.

mignonette Tue 06-Aug-13 15:08:38

And for all our label conscious people who just have to have the latest thang

here it is.

No longer do you need to use that boring old foil. Use this and channel your inner Anna Wintour as you cook.

Flo56 Tue 06-Aug-13 15:09:50

Bloody hell, this thread has got to me so much I have finally joined Mumsnet!

I love clothes and fashion. I can’t afford designer stuff but I get pleasure from looking. I enjoy Vogue (the magazine and the MN threads) and browsing in high end shops. I’m currently weighing up whether to splurge on the new Me and Em box pleat skirt. So I have to be careful but I’m not skint either.

However there are aspects of the industry that I hate: the way it preys on womens’ body insecurities. And its ethics stink. Mignonette made some good points about high street fashion and tax dodger Philip Green but higher prices don't always = more ethical; from what I can gather some designers have pretty shoddy practices too. It's a mess and we’re all complicit.

There are times when I feel positively queasy about it all. The other week I was eyeing up Victoria Beckham dresses - at £1,300 a pop - and I had to come away. The same thing can happen in TK Maxx when I look at these piles of cheap stuff that nobody really needs.... So no, I don’t give all my spare money to charity and I don’t buy everything from People Tree (cos I don’t like their stuff) but I feel bad about it at times. That may make me hypocritical but I prefer ‘conflicted’!

Anyway, while Higgs may not have expressed herself very endearingly, I think I get some of what she was saying. The way some people piled in on her (and then went onto the Vogue thread to high five each other) made me feel very uncomfortable.

I could also seriously do without people on mahoosive incomes telling me how hard they work thank you very much.

It would be great to have proper discussions about this on Style and Beauty. It’s depressing that threads about the politics of fashion either die off for lack of interest or descend into these bun fights.

mignonette Tue 06-Aug-13 15:21:47

I'm not on a massive income. I am a nurse. Going to tell me I have been lucky?

Yes Flo you make valid points. I try to buy with some discernment and yes I am as vulnerable to the insidious messages that much of fashion and style industry has been accused of promulgating. Not all my purchases would stand up to ethical scrutiny but I try my best and use what litle voice I have within the industry via friends and family employed within to suggest change.

But on our thread we are nothing but welcoming to newbies and validate the choices of everybody. Those that dish out unpleasantness cannot expect anything other than a sharp retort. Shame you found us discussing that so uncomfortable for you. We found it pretty uncomfortable reading what was directed at Amber, a woman who has done nothing but try to make her love of fashion accessible at all price points.

As for Victoria Beckham and the prices. Yes they are high. But her company is an international success story in a growth industry and we cannot expect to be able to afford everything. To be honest if you were to try to justify 90% of what we in Britain and the West buy to the developing world you'd be on a sticky wicket. Our food, the petrol we buy, clothing, leisure (and god only knows how we'd justify alcohol expenditure), our homes and their contents, the toys and babycare crap we buy....It is all excessive when compared to somebody....I give to charity and I work for charity in my spare time (training and education in the health&social care fields for disadvantaged youth) and I try to do the right thing where I can, when I can. But lucky? Well compared to the developing world, yes I am. And so are the poorest in our British society too.

So people on above-average incomes are not allowed to:

- admit that they work hard and were not born into a trust fund
- buy themselves expensive handbags as it is immoral and they ought to be given every last farthing to charity
- object to being called middle class harpies.

Cool, we know where we stand.

I actually feel really disappointed in myself for baring my soul and doubtless giving out more ammunition.

bleedingheart Tue 06-Aug-13 15:43:21

Not everyone has said that Amber.

A handful of posters have posted comments that are questioning, insulting, sneery or judgmental.

Vitriol and judgement has also been thrown back from some other posters.

Most posters just answered the OP/asked about Mulberry's quality these days.

I'm sorry you felt the need to share your back story as I have no doubt you work hard and have every right to spend your income how you see fit, without justifying it here. I hope you're not subject to any attacks because of this.

santamarianovella Tue 06-Aug-13 15:46:46

flo we see give the money to charity remark very often an bag threads,of course we all give to charity,so it was totally uncalled for.

Bumblequeen Tue 06-Aug-13 15:52:06

I cannot believe my thread has turned into this!

I was just interested to know how much we pay for our handbags.

I do not feel it is wrong to spend ££££ or £ on bags.

I am still looking for a bag by the way.

Vibbe Tue 06-Aug-13 16:00:00

For those of you who think it's wrong spending a lot of money on a handbag, do you think it's just as wrong spending a lot of money on a car, instead of getting the cheaper alternative?

Is it just as wrong spending money on an Audi or Mercedes instead of a Skoda or Kia?

dexter73 Tue 06-Aug-13 16:00:50

You have unleashed a beast Bumblequeen! What sort of bag are you looking for and dare you mention your budget?

mignonette Tue 06-Aug-13 16:01:08

Bumble Come over to the MNVogue threead. We never flame anybody posing questions like yours and there is a lot of bag discussion.

I personally won't buy any more Mulberry because the last two bags I have purchased have looked not so good after a while. I have a leopard calf hair Alexa. an Ox leather Roxanne, an Edie in oak. The Alexa looks like it has been mauled by a bloody cheetah TBH although it is some years old now.

I adore Loewe bags and they are absolute masters of leather. Better than Italian leatherworkers (and some will disagree). However Bottega Veneta are great too as are Smythson, Longchamp, Radley (the plainer leather styles) and of course LV. Celine make classic yet directional bags which are much adored by fashion folks. The Americans are making great bags. I have a Proenza Schouler PS1 that I use in the Winter and for bulkier work stuff. here it is. And it comes in less jazzy colours too.

Do you want classic muted style or something quirkier? What about colour? Style? What will you mainly use it for? How large is the biggest item you will need it to carry? Do you want understated or no logo?

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 06-Aug-13 16:02:21

Bumble - bag threads are the ff/bf of S&B, they never end well wink

I bought a hobbs bag last year - its clearly trying to be a Celine but was a lot less. The leather is lovely quality so worth looking in Hobbs for bags. Also they normally do a 20% off code several times a year.

If money was no object, I'd have this or the Tom Ford one which Jennifer Aniston has.

MrsCampbellBlack Tue 06-Aug-13 16:03:48
Flo56 Tue 06-Aug-13 16:16:45

Mig, thank you, I agree that the Vogue threads are friendly and I enjoy Amber's posts - and her blog. If I knew her as well as some of you seem to, I would probably have defended her too. But the poster concerned was merely expressing an opinion about high spending that a lot of people (including some of my friends and family) would probably support! I agree that some of what she said was sneery and provocative but there was also a point where she seemed to apologise (at least that was how I read it) and still people kept on piling in.
I have a lot of time for Victoria Beckham by the way (and the dress was gorgeous!). I'm not saying my queasiness is rational but it's how both the high end and the cheap end of fashion make me feel at times. I love it but I also think it stinks.
Amber, I am sorry that you were attacked, it wasn't right.

mignonette Tue 06-Aug-13 16:21:23

Gorgeous Loewe here and this little beauty here.

Celine here. These will always look modern.

Radley here and this unusual Abbortsford style here.

This Vuitton is big bucks but I adore it here and this Cabas tote here.

mignonette Tue 06-Aug-13 16:24:47

I didn't see an apology but if I missed one then of course it could have been dropped. But I came to this thread late last night and wanted to express both my opinion and support for*Amber*.

Flo56 Tue 06-Aug-13 17:04:49

Santa, yes I agree that the remarks about giving to charity were uncalled for. But I think that some of the other points (the ones that weren't personal) were perfectly valid and could have led to an interesting discussion.
I like clothes as much as anyone on this thread but I am also interested in the politics of fashion and think it's a shame that, whenever it comes up, there is so much judginess on the one side and defensiveness on the other.

MadameOvary Tue 06-Aug-13 17:52:43

Very interesting thread! Bunfight aside of course.
I've had just about every major label you can think of, except Chanel. Mulberry, Vuitton, Gucci, Prada, Miu Miu, Dior. Most were pre-loved because I found that back when I was working and could afford such things, I was far too precious about a brand-new bag and it was better to have one that had been worn-in a little.
Currently most expensive bag is a Balenciaga Classique bought on eBay for just over £100. Amazingly, it's genuine too. The bag I use all the time is a Miu Miu nylon East-West bag with end pockets and leather straps. It's indestructible and water-resistant (essential in Scotland!)

Bumble queen don't know your budget, or what colour/design youre looking for, but I've just bought
this in black for autumn at McArthurglen outlet in York for £209 and £20 off at till, £189. Lovely quality, big, loads of pockets, fabulous leather.....no naff dog.

SuckAtRelationships Wed 07-Aug-13 19:03:02

about £50 for an everyday bag. I second TKMAXX smile

SuckAtRelationships Wed 07-Aug-13 19:08:01

If the thread has gone this way...

I would happily pay £100 for a handbag to use everyday... I do not have lots of money... in fact I would be considered in poverty by government standards of living <rolls eyes>. I am good with my money and budget in some areas to enjoy other areas. I don't use higher purchase or anything like that. Handbags is something I enjoy so I will pay for it. It's got jack all to do with what your job pays, how you've been brought up etc. It's about what you enjoy and where you chose to spend whatever money you have. It's nobody's damn business if I would prefer a nice handbag once in a while than biscuits, fizzy and crisps every week. Why do people get so judgey about such petty things? confused

I have a lovely unknown ..in UK I think ... black and brown suede bag by Loxwood it is nice and smart for everyday and has tasteful silver metal trim. It always gets commented on. I have noticed the outlet shops do fantastic deals at the moment? If you are based near a South West trains network I think they are doing destination deals at present so you could get yourself down to Gunwharf Quays, Fiorelli, Modalu, Osprey, etc all at reasonable prices.

Vonnegut Thu 08-Aug-13 15:15:22

Been sitting on my hands as afraid of being labelled as spelling Nazi, but can now no longer resist... SuckAtRelationships, it's hire purchase, not higher.

#OCDProblems

Twinklestein Thu 08-Aug-13 15:33:23

Not saying how much I spend because it's awful, but wanted to second MadameOvary about picking up bargains on ebay. You can always get BN bags for less.

Just bought a BN Michael Kors there & the saving makes me feel virtuous.

Joey8 Thu 08-Aug-13 17:54:59

Love designer bags but sadly can't afford them! The most I ever spent on a bag was £40 and it was from River Island.

I have a genuine FAKE Chanel bag though haha, would loveee to have the real deal someday...someday far away I expect!

Message deleted by Mumsnet for breaking our Talk Guidelines. Replies may also be deleted.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now