How much on average do you spend on your everyday handbags?

(303 Posts)
Bumblequeen Sat 03-Aug-13 13:03:59

I tend to buy non leather handbags for £30-£40. Now in my late 30's I would rather invest in leather bags that look better and last longer.

I have a friend who only wears designer bags and they always look so classy. She has at least 15 though.

I wouldn't spend more than £65. You can get nice leather ones in TK Maxx for less than £50. And the Clarks and Jones sales sometimes have the odd thing too.

Must admit that I am not a bag person though (bag lady, maybe).

Tortoise Sat 03-Aug-13 13:09:19

Nothing, I don't own a handbag!

timidviper Sat 03-Aug-13 13:14:23

I have some designer bags. I tend to have a Mulberry as my everyday bag (Black for winter and a pale neutral for summer) then other bags, either designer or TKMaxx for other occasions, particular outfits, etc.

What you have to remember though is a bag like Mulberry will last for ages longer than a cheaper bag as they are classic and hardwearing. I bought a Fiorelli bag last year, gorgeous bag but unuseable this year as the lining has disintegrated whereas my Mulberry purse is used every day and is still perfect after 10 years

AlwaysSleepingBeauty Sat 03-Aug-13 13:23:01

I spend about £40 on average, but I only really buy vintage bags, usually not designer so they range from about £15-£70.

Scruffey Sat 03-Aug-13 13:25:35

My bag cost £15. I think this is very low and I am not stylish.

I know someone who walks round with a £600 bag most of the time.

Depends how much you like bags and how much money you have!

Bumblequeen Sat 03-Aug-13 14:08:12

I very rarely never have even £100 to spend on a bag which is why I always opted for cheap ones. I suppose I could save up and buy a classic bag- one for winter and one for summer.

I appreciate expensive things far more than when I was in my 20's. Back then I just went for high st fashion.

I just struggle to spend on myself unless I truly need something. Which is just as well as my budget is small.

Bexicles Sat 03-Aug-13 14:27:29

I use a distressed look leather satchel from Scaramanga. It was recommended by a mumsnetter and I love it. I think it was around £60. I have a tan leather bag fron Zara on the go too again around £60.

Missbopeep Sat 03-Aug-13 15:13:46

Maybe price is not the way to look at it though? It's what you like ( and can afford.)

There are plenty of bags around ( leather) in the £35- £80 range (Clarks, Dune, John Lewis own brand) and plenty in the £800+ range too!

I've never spent more than £100 ish ( when I reached my 40s) until recently when I've bought 2 Radleys for £170 each.

I could afford a Mulberry but can't see the point in spending that on a bag as the quality is not that different although I admit to liking their styles.

If I was going to spend nearly £1K on an 'accessory' I'd buy jewellery, so my limit is really £150-£200 and ideally the lower end.

bunnymother Sat 03-Aug-13 15:18:27

I don't tend to spend more than £150, and I only buy leather. I do have young children and my handbags all take quite a beating: dragged around by toddlers, hanging off a pram etc. I have about 15 and actually really like them all. When the children are older and, hopefully, leave my things alone, I'll probably spend a bit more eg Anya Hindmarch Gracie when on sale. I must say that my "affordable" handbags are all (except for the Reiss one) wearing well, so I don't think I will need to spend more just to get a hard wearing hand bag.

singaporeswing Sat 03-Aug-13 15:31:36

$60 (roughly £30) probably.

Could treat myself to a swanky one, but would rather go on holiday grin

gaggiagirl Sat 03-Aug-13 15:40:07

I always buy good quality leather bags as I will wear only one til it starts to look raggedy so I can easily get 5 years from a bag. Tk maxx is great so is Lakeland leather if there is one near you and boundary mills
I'm currently sporting a brown butter soft rowallan satchel that was £75 but I got it for £20 in a factory shop.

Vibbe Sat 03-Aug-13 15:45:14

I have loads of Mulberry bags, and they are terrible quality.
I bought a Mulberry bag about 10 years ago, and that's been okay (was replaced after around a year, then lost screws), but most of the new ones have been absolutely awful.
I had one where the inking got sticky and ruined a couple of tops (tops and bag couldn't be repaired), have several where the metal gets worn and changes colour (and that goes for both the silvery and golden metal bits), leather wears through to the wire underneath within short time and the leather just being so sensitive to staining, marks and scratches.

It's absolute terrible, especially for a brand with such expensive bags. You'd expect that you can actually use the bags more than once before they start looking worn.

I used to buy the Mulberry bags thinking they'd last 10 years or so - but they last a couple of seasons, then look worn and old. I do actually take very good care of my bags, but it seems that that's not good enough for Mulberry bags...

Mulberry simply isn't worth it. They used to be, but not anymore.

I spend what I feel I want to spend - so I'm happy buying a cheaper bag if I like it, and happy to buy an expensive bag if I like it. I'm currently using a Mary Katrantzou for Longchamp nylon bag most of the time.

Elsiequadrille Sat 03-Aug-13 15:45:28

I usually have a Mulberry for everyday (Anthony style). I recently bought a 'cheap' Peony and Moore for approx £100. The quality is just dreadful (glue coming away and so much wear), yet they were compared favourably to Mulberry on MN. Unless mine is a rogue bag.

I'm wondering if it's possible to get good quality, long lasting, bag cheaply? I've only had the Peony for a few months

I have a nice dark turpquoise handbag that I got from TK Maxx for £30 which I love. That is me splashing out!

I took out a "handbag" (more like a square clutch but with a bamboo handle - hard to describe) this morning that I got free in a magazine about 9 years ago.

I'm definitely more high street than high end and it's a good job as I'm skint!

Vibbe Sat 03-Aug-13 15:50:02

I find that Aunts & Uncles are very good for the price.

My Hobbs bag (£60-ish in the sale) is into its third year now and still going strong, having been used almost every day.

JamEyelid Sat 03-Aug-13 16:08:47

£50 - £120 usually. I only usually buy leather bags as non leather ones tend to break/get damaged to quickly.

My bag at the moment is a MBMJ bag that I wanted for 2 years. It was £385. I love it, it's the perfect size and shape for me.

Twirlyhot Sat 03-Aug-13 16:14:10

£100-£200 on decent leather bags, always in the sales so the original price was much higher.

QuiteOldGal Sat 03-Aug-13 16:15:15

Usually £30 to £40 in sales and leather. I've got a couple of Boden satchel style very reduced which I generally use for everyday.

I usually look at about £100 bags which I would hope to get 70% off. I don't think I have ever paid full price for a bag, I would also buy from TK Maxx as they are in my price range.

MarshaBrady Sat 03-Aug-13 16:17:44

My first bag where I spent some money was from Liberty and half price. Felt very lucky that day. Think I paid £200.

And now have one at around £500, don't think it goes on sale. Felt like quite a lot but had been working extra days and thought I'll do this extra work and I can get it.

CerealMom Sat 03-Aug-13 16:58:32

I have some lovely bags from charity shops, TKMaxx, dress agencies and bought new. Everything from baskets/woven bags through to some very expensive Mulberrys/Bottega etc... Some of my favourite favourite ones have been the charity shop 'finds'.

Buy what you love and can afford. Personally, I tend to shy away from Mulberry now. Post Roger Saul it's now all very expensive with metal 'Mulberry' hardware/labelling.

I'm currently using my £4 Oxfam woven basket with bamboo handles. I think it's very summer chic.

Missbopeep Sat 03-Aug-13 17:00:09

I don't have many bags at all. About 5 and one was cheap as chips, to match a dress I don't wear often. I have 4 bags I use fairly often depending on what I'm doing- a Longchamp Pliage, an across the body, a shoulder slouchy type bag and a grab bag.

newestbridearound Sat 03-Aug-13 17:00:55

I love designer handbags, but I'm far too poor to save for one and even if I had the money I'd probably rip it or spill something on it within days of buying! So I just buy cheapy bags, normally no more than £40 but mainly around the £20 mark.

santamarianovella Sat 03-Aug-13 17:12:10

I love handbags,and my current everyday bags cost around £ 1100,I don't own many bags,but I do go for good quality ones as they do last longer .

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now