Yet another bra thread.......

(102 Posts)

So I went to the dreaded M & S a couple of months ago and they fitted me in a 34dd.

I have the back fastened on the tightest hook and I can pull it really far away and my straps are done up as tight as possible. I also have awful shoulder and neck pain.

So what do I need to do? I don't have a Freya or Bravissimo locally and I'm not sure that I trust the high streets stores anymore.

LousThighBurn Sun 04-Aug-13 14:18:06

Thank you Sorrel, I thought the sizes may have been around there. Just wearing a tighter band size has made an improvement, I was scooping as much as I could and the cup still looked sorry for itself! I purchased from the Debenhams gorgeous range but they were a full cup style rather than half or balconette, I shall have a really good look tomorrow for the others as my chest is an area I dislike but hopefully once they are supported I may be happier. Thank you for your suggestions too Fairy I had been looking at the Panache bras as I was fitted a few years ago with one and it was lovely. They had a small selection of Freya in Debenhams so I shall see if they have the Deco range. I think my problem is fullness rather than having shallow breasts, I found a link in one of the other bra threads and it seems to be the fullness from breast feeding DS, I imagine once we stop BFing they will look completely different!

chartreuse Sun 04-Aug-13 14:18:58

Statistically, I am currently wearing a 32dd Lejaby which is the most comfortable bra I've had for a while, but I still have issues with falling down straps. My measurements are 30 and 39. What would you recommend I try?

Silverfoxballs Sun 04-Aug-13 14:25:21

Can someone bra brainy do me

30 under bust and 38 bent over on the actual boob.

Falling down straps is a sign the band is too big. Your measurements suggest you need around a 30G Chartreuse

Silverfoxballs 30FF

Fairylea Sun 04-Aug-13 15:41:05

I wouldn't go for a new look bra, sorry. I think if you are anything more than a true c cup then they just aren't going to support you, they don't have the structure or support of a bravissimo bra for example.

Dirtydiana Sun 04-Aug-13 16:05:11

Hi, been reading these threads with interest! Always worn 34a or 32b (M&S!). Just measured myself and got 28.5 under and 35.5. What sizes should I try please?

start with 28F and 28FF

Dirtydiana Sun 04-Aug-13 16:17:51

Thank you!

babyicebean Sun 04-Aug-13 16:25:45

Following the Bra Gurus fitting guide I measure in at 38 underneath and 48 over the top -any ideas?

Thnk you

babyicebean Sun 04-Aug-13 16:28:24

Am in a 38G from BHS but the wiring in th middle has enough space to get three fingers in between it and the bony bit. I tried a 38H and it was massive in the cups so have no idea anymore

chartreuse Sun 04-Aug-13 17:09:46

Will give that a try. Thanks very much smile

baby - the measurements suggest a 38GG, but you will also need to try a variety of shapes and styles

CelticPromise Sun 04-Aug-13 18:12:48

dirtyshirt on the numbers you come up as 34F/FF but if the band's too big then either I reckon your bra has stretched over time and you need new 34s, or perhaps you've not measured really tight and need a 32? Couldn't hurt to try anyway.

I'm another size 16 in a 30 back.

GirlWithTheDirtyShirt Sun 04-Aug-13 21:56:08

Thanks Celtic. I popped into town today and ended up with 34G. They were the best fit with scooping.

I got them from Boux Avenue - they had a great range of larger cup sizes in loads of styles. I was v impressed.

Thanks Statistically for all your help and thanks Fairy for your comment about New Look.

I am going to spend a few hours next Saturday trying on various bras. grin

SorrelForbes Sun 04-Aug-13 22:02:58

I har read that Boux Ave bras come up a bit small in the band and cup.

GirlWithTheDirtyShirt Sun 04-Aug-13 22:08:05

That would explain it then Sorrel

Very impressed with the range though - many more than Bravissimo has had to offer in the past, and some really nice ones too.

I have bridal underwear to buy soon so if anyone has any tips for that it would be appreciated. I imagine its going to be a challenge!

CelticPromise Sun 04-Aug-13 22:49:15

I tried Rigby & Peller for bridal underwear and failed, could not get anything like the lift I needed for my strapless dress. In the end I got a proper old fashioned corset made with steel bones. It was bloody amazing. I love it but have sadly not had many later opportunities to wear it!

Clockers Mon 05-Aug-13 16:02:57

I have been reading these bra threads for ages and have decided to bite the bullet and join in and treat myself to news bras for the first time in years .

So, my underbust is 32 and over bust is 39. Does this make me a 32f ?? I have been in a 36c for years but my bras drive me mad - they always ride up my back and the shoulders fall off!!
Thank you in advance!

CelticPromise Mon 05-Aug-13 16:13:48

Yes start with a 32F. When I first saw the light I went from a 36DD/E to a 32G- what a difference! Happy shopping :-)

Clockers Mon 05-Aug-13 16:36:42

Thanks Celtic - amazing !

SandraBollocks Tue 06-Aug-13 10:49:30

Please could I ask for help too?
I've been reading these threads and cannot believe how wrong I've had it for so many years (hides her M&S 36A t-shirt bras blush)! I measure 29 under boob and 35 over...should I try 30DD? I'm also looking for nice and cheapish padded nursing bras, something I could confidently wear out of the house / when I'm with people...I've tried Emma Janes but they were too big (they want to put me in 34 - ummm, no hmm), although maybe I should go for the smallest one (32)? Are there any other alternatives I should try?

Thank you!

Sandra try 28f 28e 30e and 30dd. bravissimo have nursing bras in those sizes. its also ok to wear wires as long as they fit properly which you might want to do for nights out etc

farrowandbawl Tue 06-Aug-13 19:54:43

I can not thank you ladies enough.

I followed the measurements thread and went from M&S's 32D to my measurements of a 30FF. I had to wait a few weeks until I could afford a bra set and ordered it.

It came today and it only bloody fits like a glove. No spillage, no lumps and bumps, I have 2 boobs instead of 4, they've kept in place ALL DAY without having to be rearranged and I've had to keep looking down my top to make sure. My posture looks better, my clothes hang better, my neck and back doesn't hurt as much - it's like a little miracle.

The only downside is that I'm going to have to buy a whole new range of bras - which is expensive and not easy in my new proper size. Bravissimo are good so far though. Might have to get 1 set a month - provided no massive bills are due out.

Thank you all again.

CelticPromise Tue 06-Aug-13 20:18:24

Yay farrow! You don't always have to pay Bravissimo prices, try brastop.com, mycurvesandme, Figleaves and Leia outlet sections, Amazon (yes really!) and look in-store at Debenhams sale (but be aware their Gorgeous brand comes up small).

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now