Shoes/boots for walking the streets on New York. Should I buy them there?

(16 Posts)
Lighthousekeeping Fri 02-Aug-13 17:04:52

I'm going in November and obviously will be doing loads of walking. I have a whopping bunion that can play up. Are Uggs the way to go?

Hulababy Fri 02-Aug-13 17:07:47

What are you normally like with shoes/boots?
There is no way I could buy a pair of shoes and boots and then just wear them for long periods of time straight away - but I know my feet, I can get blisters wearing a pair of slippers!
FWIW I never find NY, or the US in general, that much cheaper for most stuff. A little bit sometimes, but nothing massively.

Don't buy them there. You need something that you know is comfortable. Chelsea boots, maybe?

cocolepew Fri 02-Aug-13 17:11:20

Noooo shock wear something you have already broken in.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 02-Aug-13 17:12:03

Has anyone been in November? I guess I should go to Clarks in September and start looking.

herladyship Fri 02-Aug-13 17:13:22

I bought good quality trainers & wore them in.. even so my feet wanted to divorce me!

I'd say definitely buy & wear in.. and take every opportunity to sit down grin

almapudden Fri 02-Aug-13 17:20:19

Can I recommend these for a spot of street-walking?

Lighthousekeeping Fri 02-Aug-13 17:21:58

Down Canal Street? grin

almapudden Fri 02-Aug-13 17:26:17

Why not! :D

Seriously, though, the suggestion of Chelsea boots upthread isn't bad. I like these ones from Dune.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 02-Aug-13 17:30:49

I can't wear Dune their sizes are odd.

Where can you wear? Did you see what I did then? grin

Suburban Fri 02-Aug-13 19:00:22

I would wait until just before you go and keep an eye on the weather. Have been in NY at Halloween still in bare legs and flip flops. Definitely something comfortable, but Manhatten itself is quite dense, much smaller than London. Have fun!

MarshaBrady Fri 02-Aug-13 19:04:41

Not Uggs, something sturdier. Flat ankle boot.

Lighthousekeeping Fri 02-Aug-13 21:39:39

Yes I will keep an eye on the weather I think I'll just buy a Parker to wear?

primallass Fri 02-Aug-13 22:17:34

We were there for 5 days in November. 3 days of heat wave with no sleeves and sandals then it dropped 20 degrees overnight.

My rec is to take a bag big enough to hold a second pair of shoes during the day. It really helps to be able to change them.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now