colour b gone!

(24 Posts)
holstenlips Fri 02-Aug-13 10:29:11

Having had a spur of the moment home hair dye disaster (too dark) I want to get rid of the colour. Has anyone tried it?
Also under the current v dark purply red I have layers of lighter red..then bleached blonde underneath. How far back will this strip the colour does anyone know? Thanks just enquiring in case I need to then chuck another colour on the top ifyswim.

EverythingHappens4aReason Fri 02-Aug-13 12:55:13

Ive used it and it did work went from a very dark brown back to my dark blonde. It takes a while - about an hour - leave this one on for 15 mins rinse for 10 this one for 5 rinse for 5 etc. But it works but beware.............IT STINKS! Good luck

cocolepew Fri 02-Aug-13 12:58:16

I used it. I've dyed my hair loads and it reduced it back to a bizarre bleached look, think it was because even the dark dyes have ammonia in then and it stripped my hair.

It's a bloody faff, you have to rinse for ages but it did the job.

holstenlips Fri 02-Aug-13 13:09:58

So maybe after ive used it I will need to chuck another colour on? ..thanks for the tips

cocolepew Fri 02-Aug-13 21:32:16

I would definitely have one on stand by. I needed to use one afterwards

holstenlips Sun 04-Aug-13 00:47:00

Anyone else before I take the plunge tomorrow ?

SundaySimmons Sun 04-Aug-13 08:58:11

I used it, it was brilliant. I then started using a mid brown Casting Creme dye and the colour was much more flattering than the black I got rid of.

Then I stupidly bought the wrong shade, a darker one and even more stupidly fell asleep in the bath with the dye on, wrapped in plastic and I am back to darkest brown with a slight auburn tint which is ghastly.

Everyone likes it, which is weird but I hate it.

I am quite dark skinned at the moment so it is ok for my skintone but come the winter when I am paler and I will look like an old witch.

The roots are a pain too.

So I think I will do mine again with colour b gone. It stinks of rotten eggs but was so successful when I used it.

SundaySimmons Sun 04-Aug-13 08:59:34

I had to put another colour on as it lifted the black off but I was left with yellowy brown hair and I put a mid brown over it and it looked much more natural.

holstenlips Sun 04-Aug-13 09:40:10

Thanks , I think I will buy a semi aswell then to chuck over it.
I look like a witch too. Or like im wearing a purple black wig

trice Sun 04-Aug-13 09:48:33

I used it. It stripped my hair back to a bleach yellow from too dark brown. But when I put a light brown over the top it absorbed the colour much more and now I have a weird reverse dip dye effect. I will just have to grow it out.

holstenlips Sun 04-Aug-13 09:56:28

Im quite scared to try it I wish I hadnt used the last colour, prior to that it was fine just needed a bit of shine. Typically this colour, john freida mousse, has taken really strongly and its not fading! !

cocolepew Sun 04-Aug-13 11:15:28

When my hair is too dark I buy a highlighting kit and put it in my hair then colour over it. My hair can take a lot of  abuse though grin. Garnier do a highlights kit (Garnier lights)that does the job if your hair isn't long ( theres not much in it ). They do one for dark hair, kit 3 but it's hard to get hold of, that I would streak through my hair to break the colour up. I used kit 1 last week, it's for blondes but it still lightened my dark hair to caramel streaks.

Glitterkitten24 Sun 04-Aug-13 15:17:45

Inspired by this thread I have just bought some to try tonight- I've been wanting to go a bit lighter for a while.
My hair isn't newly dyed tho, it's actually due to be done again, that shouldn't make any difference, should it?

Excited but scared!

mercury7 Sun 04-Aug-13 16:21:57

I used decolour hair colour remover a couple of days ago
(I'm assuming they are essentially the same thing, just a different brand??)

I have chin length hair which I have dyed black, very dark brown and occasionally dark red for years and years.
I left it on for the max time and have been pleased with the result, it went a golden dark blond colour.
Yesterday I used a permenant medium ash blond and I think it looks a natural blond colour
The very ends are still a bit dark but I'll have it trimmed soon and get rid of most of that.
My natural colour is a light ash brown but I also have quite a bit of grey.

Hope that helps and good luckgrin

holstenlips Sun 04-Aug-13 17:03:58

Ooh thanks! Glitter im scared too!! Bought it today the extra strength for dark colour ...too scared to use it yet. Mercury that sounds like a great result !

mercury7 Sun 04-Aug-13 17:19:09

Holst, I swim alot, my hair is in chlorinated pool water for about 4 hours a week so that may have made the colour lift more easily, then again I always dyed my whole head never just the roots so there was alot of build up on the ends.
it sounds as if you've only the one layer of dark dye so I imagine it'd lift fairly easily

holstenlips Mon 05-Aug-13 13:37:52

Ive done mine. Black purple has gone. I would say im dark coppery red . Im happy.

TheYoniWayisGerard Mon 05-Aug-13 13:42:04

They're crap. I tried doing mine three times. It worked at first, then as soon as I washed it, it went dark again. I ended up bleaching it. Went orangey blonde and I dyed over it the following night. Seems to have worked well and my hair isn't ruined or straw-like.

cocolepew Mon 05-Aug-13 14:39:09

Phew! grin

SundaySimmons Mon 05-Aug-13 17:54:09

Going to do mine now.

I've bought the colour remover and polytint in natural brown to put over the top.

At the moment it's black with a reddish tinge which is way too dark for my age and colouring.

I shall report back with my results!

SundaySimmons Mon 05-Aug-13 20:34:39

Success regarding the removal of the black. Now I am an all over yellowy gingery colour. Not very nice but it is even all over and when I will be dying over it in a natural brown.

I'd forgotten how horrible it smells when you do it, but the smell only lasts until it's washed properly for the first time.

holstenlips Tue 06-Aug-13 10:14:39

Excellent. I have a dark blonde to chuck over mine today.

holstenlips Tue 06-Aug-13 10:15:16

And I agree, I was darkest plummy black and looked ten years older!!

SundaySimmons Tue 06-Aug-13 14:15:47

Very happy with the final result. I am now a dark brown, but it looks natural, not dyed and I have received several compliments. It is very shiny too.

I can faintly smell the edginess but know it will be gone tomorrow when I wash it.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now