It can't go on. How do I become a stylish mother?

(21 Posts)
Tilpil Sun 04-Aug-13 09:52:12

Equesterian clearance is the cheapest for riding boots still the major brands but with things like the packaging ripped or a slight scuff so they are discounted don't pay the full amount I talk from experience I have yet to find a pair of boots to hold upto to everything I do but I do have horses so if not they probably will hole up better they are so comfy and I live I them easy clean to. Depending on where you are there will be tack shops etc to pop into to try boots on and buy there

ProjectGainsborough Sat 03-Aug-13 19:09:29

Loads of good ideas on here, thank you.

Now I think of it, lots of my country friends seem to sport dubarry type boots, they had just gone under my radar. I like the toggi quebecs.

Yes, lightbulb moment Amber I need a different shape of tee! Maybe I can embrace the boatneck/non frumpy Breton. Always felt that shape suited my shape, but have been plugging away at the rock-groupie look, which is no longer lifestyle appropriate...

Have been stalking toasted teacakes' blog - lots of Breton inspiration there.

Agree Virtuals are the cats pjs, I have 3 pairs, but for a cheaper, longer alternative I recommend Topshop Jamies. I've also heard Diesel skinzees are a good contender.

Personally I prefer a crew neck, slightly more fitted tee.

Chocolateteabag Sat 03-Aug-13 12:13:44

Nice boots Project

I was thinking more along the lines of a Country Boot like these LINK but don't buy online before trying them on somewhere as getting the right boot length/width can be tricky.
They are clearly for Autumn/winter/spring country stuff where mud is involved but always feel much smarter than Wellies as well as warmer.
As to where to look, try nearest trading estates and anywhere which stocks Dublin, Dubarry, Sherwood, Toggi etc as they all sell them at varying prices

Oly4 Fri 02-Aug-13 19:25:56

Lucky Brand jeans are amazing... Stretchy and flattering. As comfy as leggings but look amazing! In my opinion the most obvious way to look mummy is some A line tunic with a rubbish pattern on.
Go for stylish separates that scream 'classic'. Wool and cashmere knitwear to keep you cosy, skinny jeans, warm wool coats, a good bag, knee high boots, the odd stretch shirt or fitted long sleeves top.
Just my ideas

ProjectGainsborough Fri 02-Aug-13 17:02:21

Wow, golden THAT is an interesting concept. Just on the website now. I have been flirting with getting rid of the crap for a while, but I can see that only having ten items would really stop me from buying stuff that just 'does'.

MyGoldenNotebook Fri 02-Aug-13 14:32:06

This is my two pennies worth. Some things I have bought that work and ideas I try to follow. I'm often told I look pulled together.

I second (or third?) the Levis. I love mine and will be buying in different colours. No chance of showing knickers and feel high quality.

Jeans, blazer and blouse / quality top / thin jumper always look good.

A good not too casual coat is essential.

A good quality scarf perhaps with a nod to current fashiob (e.g. I had a bird print last winter - wearing silk butterfly print one now)

Ankle boots and knee highs for Autumn to wear with jersey dresses.

I follow thedailyconnoiseur and I like the ideas in her book too - in particular all her advice about having fewer higher quality clothes that all work together. I have to look very smart for work though and prefer to be more casual at home though so a ten item wardrobe is too limited for me as I essentially have two wardrobes. I have a 20 item wardrobe instead.

Follow a simple skin care routine. I don't use very expensive products but I do cleanse, tone and moisturise every day,

I just keep my nails short and clean with clear varnish.

libertychick Fri 02-Aug-13 14:11:43

I like those boots Project - good buy!

libertychick Fri 02-Aug-13 14:10:47

Project they are 98% cotton, 2% elastane. They are thick and hold shape very well - I get about 5/6 wears before the knees start to bag.

ProjectGainsborough Fri 02-Aug-13 13:43:05

Just got these pistol knockoffs. Not quite dubarry but more practical than leaky ballet pumps.

I like the Levi's. is the denim thick? Can't abide über stretchy denim. Or at least my thighs can't.

libertychick Fri 02-Aug-13 12:21:18

These Levi jeans are great. Full price £80 in John Lewis but I got them in TKMaxx for £30. As others have said it is just a case of trying on lots of different styles.

I've just bought my first pair of 'expensive' jeans - Current Elliott high waisted skinnies. They were massively reduced in the sale, which is why I bought them. But, to be quite honest, they are really, really not that much different to the ones I have from Topshop, Oasis and even the M&S jeggings. The only real difference is that they are tighter on the leg and that the seams are a bit smoother. So, what I'm saying is that you don't need to feel that you have to pay a fortune - you just need to prepared to invest time in trying a whole load on.

Flat ankle boots will be your friend too - there should be loads coming into the shops in the next few weeks.

Fairylea Fri 02-Aug-13 09:54:01

Next high waisted skinny jeans are brilliant. Different leg lengths and so on too. So good! And not too expensive.

If you are willing to spend ££ more on Jeans, try J brand Maria's or 620's. they have magical hold-you-in-hide-your-bum-crack properties.

ProjectGainsborough Fri 02-Aug-13 09:22:16

Ooh ooh, I have just bought the tesco mac chocolate! Ok, maybe getting better at this then. Any suggestions on horse warehouse places? I was thinking maybe Aigle type boots. Or will people laugh?

foxy love those jeans, but do they come in a longer length? My proportions are all wrong for cropped jeans sadly...

foxysocks Fri 02-Aug-13 09:13:24

that is EXACTLY my thoughts on jeans too. i wear them at least 5/7 days, they are so worth the investment.

I tried them on in donna ida westfield - think there are a few boutiques across london if you can get there for a day of 'research'? - then i ordered them cheaper online. i got a pair from shopbop for £130 and some from the outnet for £90.

amber put me onto them - she will probably know other stockists.

AscendoTuum Fri 02-Aug-13 08:30:14

Foxy, can you buy those jeans in the UK in any of the shops? I just googled them online. I don't really like Internet shopping and prefer to try stuff on. I was having a discussion with DH about jeans last night and it dawned on me that I should be making jeans fit and style a priority and drop a bit of money on them as I basically live in jeans.

SavoyCabbage Fri 02-Aug-13 08:22:06

You need a child free three to four hours to buy jeans in my opinion. You have to try them all on one after the other. For ages.

foxysocks Fri 02-Aug-13 07:56:59

Are you willing to spend a bit more on jeans? Goldsign high virtuals are amazing. Hold you in and NO chance of exposing anything when you bend down. They also keep their shape, no saggy knees or bottoms.

I have in indigo and grey and lived in them last winter and spring. I kind of miss them in this scorching weather!

Chocolateteabag Fri 02-Aug-13 07:40:15

Get a decent coat to start with
There are threads and threads on the elusive nirvana coat (Merrell Ellenwood I think? But there are others) however I have just got a fab dark red waxed one from Tesco online for £35

You can still do skinny jeans, but have to start looking for higher waist to avoid crack display. The a proper pair of outdoor boots - try looking in horse supply type warehouse places which will stock alongside riding boots various cheaper Dubarry alternatives. They are pretty practical but slightly better than Wellies for anything outside the house.

ProjectGainsborough Fri 02-Aug-13 07:30:56

Just realised how relieved I was to get back into my work clothes, where everything makes sense to me.

I find my pre-child clothes are no longer practical. Skinny jeans show crack and slouchy tees gape at the boob. Pre children, I lived in a city, now I'm in the country and always (freak weather excepting) freezing or wet. Recently suffered much mortification when my flimsy ballet pumps dyed the church hall carpet black after a rainstorm.

I don't want to be a townie wanker anymore. Neither do I want to be frumpy and sensible.

I spend 70% of my time with the kids. I need to be better at this. Help!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now