Is it just me?

(32 Posts)
loopyloou Thu 01-Aug-13 16:32:37

... Or does everyone else also wear just black skirts/trousers for work?

There must be some lovely skirts suitable for work, so why do I only have black ones in my wardrobe?

I know I'm not very adventurous, but I honestly never see smart skirts in other colours that I deem suitable for work. Apart from a link to a nice rust one here on S&B.

I have not worn black for 3 years. smile

loopyloou Fri 02-Aug-13 20:11:10
loopyloou Fri 02-Aug-13 15:22:49

Thanks Remus, I love the red one!

Just seen this on the Zara site. Looks lovely.

loopyloou Fri 02-Aug-13 08:08:48

Thanks Amber, that's very interesting.

I struggle to find dresses that look smart enough that I like and can afford tbh. My budget won't stretch to £80 a dress when I need a couple at least. I might take a look at ASOS though.

Loopy if you suffer from psoriasis, you may be interested in the lovely Helen's blog here - she gives great advice on dressing with the condition.

I agree about the black trousers/skirt thing. It is rife in my work place. I try very hard to have a colourful work wardrobe, and I have quite a lot of printed/patterned pencil skirts. I do find dresses a little easier than separates though - no need to coordinate!

loopyloou Fri 02-Aug-13 00:30:50

Thanks Remus, found you smile

Well, I think I've just lost the little bit of life I had left, as I've spent all evening on Pinterest!

Gah

Here's ]]http://pinterest.com/wildeisonmine/boards/ mine]] if you want it. I look much nicer in my planning /on Pinterest than I do irl though.

loopyloou Thu 01-Aug-13 23:07:06

Thanks MoreThanWords, I'll take a look.

MoreThanWords Thu 01-Aug-13 20:37:55

Loopylou I'm 46, and coming to find my style fairly late in the day! On Pinterest, look under the Fashion category, pin a few things you like, and it builds from there. Just pin what you like the look of/colour combinations etc, and apply that when you go shopping. Maybe google a capsule wardrobe, and start from there?

Oh, and keep looking on here! My clothes shopping experiences have changed drastically since I started reading the posts on this forum. I'm feeling more confident about what I wear, about trying new things, and finally starting to buy more quality items (in the sale!) which in turn make you feel better!

I'm 'Bea Taylor' on Pinterest, if you want to peruse my Clothes board, and there are loads more MNers on there - follow Mignonette from her link above, Remus is on there too - can't just think who else ...

loopyloou Thu 01-Aug-13 20:13:33

Mignonette I'm very late 40s wink. Just find it difficult to find what suits me. Pinterest is so huge, I don't know where to start and what to search for.

BikeRunSki Thu 01-Aug-13 19:47:56
mignonette Thu 01-Aug-13 19:37:38

Loopy I am quite old (Mid Forties) and no spring chicken and fashion is for all- even more necessary to 'network' I think. Have a look at Pinterest too for ideas.

loopyloou Thu 01-Aug-13 19:35:40

I love item number 151084918032 on eBay (sorry cant post links on iPad), but not in pink, I look better in warmer colours.

loopyloou Thu 01-Aug-13 19:16:09

Will have a look, sounds great. Don't know Ness.

BikeRunSki Thu 01-Aug-13 18:19:50

I have a couple of bright tweedy skirts from Ness which are my winter work staples, with a white l/ s top and cardy.

loopyloou Thu 01-Aug-13 18:13:17

Lol Remus grin

Leopard print is a neutral now, you know. smile

loopyloou Thu 01-Aug-13 18:08:05

My workplace is quite traditional, so don't think I could get away with leopard skin.

I struggle to find tops I like. I prefer v or scoop or drape neck, short sleeves in light colours, pref warm colours. Can't wear dark solid tops due to scalp psoriasis meaning some flakes on shoulders hmmhmm

I'm a 12 and an E cup and quite often wear a printed or coloured pencil skirt (leopard /floral / striped) with a plain top and plain (open) jacket.

loopyloou Thu 01-Aug-13 17:46:28

Tvstand I'm the same, am size 12/14 but FF chest, I never tuck tops in, but wear them over, but usually quite tight.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I've never looked at the Vogue thread, too intimidating for someone like me who is too old and doesn't have a clue! blush but I'll take a look.

mignonette Thu 01-Aug-13 17:34:49

Love that tile print skirt Liberty

mignonette Thu 01-Aug-13 17:31:42

Tv- Layering is your friend as long as you have an 'open' layer on top such as a long lean Blazer with a fitted sweater/Blouse or T shirt underneath. The Blazer will draw attention down the body and elongate whilst the fitted top under it will give you shape and the right kind of definition. Scarves and jewellery can be piled on top to draw the eye again.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now