DvF silk jersey wrap dress

(23 Posts)
Mumsnut Wed 31-Jul-13 11:23:01

Yippee! I've just fetched mine back from the cleaner's, but once I've worn it again, into the tub with it!"

Thanks MOTW.

madmomma Wed 31-Jul-13 10:55:36

Ooh if you can safely handwash them I might buy one.

mummyonthewedge Tue 30-Jul-13 21:50:39

The dress is almost dry - it seems to have retained its shape well and will just need a light steam. I am not sure if it has slightly shrunk? But it seems pretty good, so I have actually just hand washed a second DVF print dress, after doing a patch test to see if the colour would run, and again the pattern hasn't run at all. I am going to wait until these two dry before I handwash the next one as it is a tight fit, but Mumsnut I think you can go for it.

mrsshackleton Tue 30-Jul-13 11:06:20

I have often on 30 degrees

No problem.

You have my blessing

Foxred10 Tue 30-Jul-13 10:07:51

I had one of these dresses get wet in a suit carrier on the way to my honeymoon (thanks BA!) and all the colours ran together and it was totally ruined shock

Mumsnut Tue 30-Jul-13 10:04:58

Ooh I say! I'll be back on the Outnet if this works. I bloody love those dresses, but I hate dry cleaners.

shaggyrogers Tue 30-Jul-13 07:55:17

madmomma - I think you only need to dry things like jumpers flat because they can be stretched out of shape when they are drying due to the weight of the wet wool.

madmomma Tue 30-Jul-13 07:28:23

shouldn't you be drying it flat? <anxious>

mummyonthewedge Mon 29-Jul-13 22:28:59

Just finished hand washing one - cold water, Ecover delicates liquid - and the colour didn't run, which was the main thing I was worried about. It's now hanging on a wide hanger to dry. I'll update when it dries about shrinkage/fit.
Just realised I am live streaming doing the laundry. Shoot me now.

skaen Mon 29-Jul-13 20:03:26

I have a black and cream one which washed nicely on a 30 degree silk wash. Didn't tumble though.

JennySense Mon 29-Jul-13 19:57:35

I've hand washed silk as I reckon it's a natural fibre and should be ok. Over on the Purse Forum they have a thread about washing Hermes scarves which is worth a look.

Mumsnut Mon 29-Jul-13 18:58:48

That's noble of you, MOTW <<salutes>>. I shall be watching with bated breath.

mirpuppet Mon 29-Jul-13 18:48:43

i have hand washed in the machine (several times). I use woolite. No tumble drying.

mummyonthewedge Mon 29-Jul-13 18:47:58

Sorry if that wasn't clear - I have put them in the tumble drier when they are dry on 'low' for 15 minutes with the Lakeland sheets just to freshen them up.

Prompted by this thread, I just had a chat about this to my (trusted) dry cleaner. She said that she thought that I should hand wash with very gentle soap (she said like baby shampoo), leave to dry on a soft hanger to maintain shape. Then bring the dress in if needed for a steam press. I have decided to do a 'patch test' on my least favourite DVF - just see what happens to the colour, and then all going well, proceed as she suggested. I'll let you know how I get on.

Mumsnut Mon 29-Jul-13 17:35:09

H'mmm ...

I have machine washed one on 30 silk wash. Absolutely fine.

motherinferior Mon 29-Jul-13 17:08:54

I have a silk jersey Coast wrap. I machine wash it.

MrsCampbellBlack Mon 29-Jul-13 17:07:36

I am pretty gung ho re. handwashing dry clean only stuff but wouldn't risk a patterned DVF to be honest.

Parmarella Mon 29-Jul-13 17:05:25

Nooooooo tumble dryer!!!!

Parmarella Mon 29-Jul-13 17:04:54

I have washed other silk jersey dresses by hand.

The alternative for me would be never wearing them so I risked it.

Always wash silk with cold water, and non- bio washing stuff or special silk wash ( I use fairy non- bio)

Rinse well and squeeze out excess water, dry flat or on big coat hanger ( not a wire one!)

It should really be fine

Mumsnut Mon 29-Jul-13 15:20:30

Tumble dry!! What heat? My big worry was shrinkage, but if you've freshened them up in the dryer clearly not ...

mummyonthewedge Mon 29-Jul-13 15:00:21

I know what you mean!!
I have googled this and the results are not very promising. People say that the colours in the silk will run, so I am just not game to do it. They are so expensive it just isn't worth it.
I have however given them a tumble dry with the 'dry clean' sheets that you can buy from Lakeland, and that does freshen them up though, if that helps.
If you decide to handwash I would love to know the results though.I have been so close myself...

Mumsnut Mon 29-Jul-13 14:14:04

Has anyone handwashed one of these??

I am torn ....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now