Share your best style tips please :-)

(135 Posts)

I have seen some really glamorous, put together mums in the last week, out and about. I can't seem to dress myself for when I am with the dds anymore hmm

If you look amazing at soft play and such like please tell me what you wear and where you shop. Tia

Parmarella Mon 29-Jul-13 20:00:09

Adventurous AND slapdash?

Picturing you like a female version of jack Sparrow now grin

MyChildDoesntNeedSleep Mon 29-Jul-13 20:02:20

I feel like I wasted my twenties. I look back at pictures and I wore no make up and bought my clothes at Asda. I want to go back and slap myself! I know I had two little ones and breastfed for 4 years, but FFS!

BinksToEnlightenment Mon 29-Jul-13 20:35:07

I recommend growing your hair long. It's so much easier than short hair, I've discovered. For example, plait over to one side, couple of big silver clips at the base, wrap a nice scarf round your neck, stick your sunglasses on and boom! You look well French.

Keep them coming grin
Right I'm seeking out the eyebrow thing and making an appointment when I can. I think there's a salon here that does billion dollar brows grin

What kind of scarves?

The abs cost me 600 quid in pt fees. Over about 7 months. It was worth it - I do at least feel confident in some of my clothes grin

Wibblypiglikesbananas Mon 29-Jul-13 20:41:38

Definitely focus on skin and hair. I'm currently PG with DC2 and even if I do say it myself, I am glowing at the moment. My hair is super thick and my skin just gleams, no spots or anything. I got loads of compliments last week and to be fair, I was in maternity gear that's a bit past its best as it's on its second time round and it was super hot to boot.

Pregnancy seems to be the only thing that makes my skin blemish free - looks like it'll be back to the zits once this one is born!

Suzietwo Mon 29-Jul-13 20:41:42

This is a great thread but I don't know where some of you find the effort! I have to get it together a few times a week when I go to London for meetings. The rest of the time I'm in a variation of my pyjamas.

However, my best shit hair cure is the hair band. 60s style

BinksToEnlightenment Mon 29-Jul-13 20:48:17

Oh, I just go to Accessorize and pick one up for fifteen quid. Try holding a couple against your face to see which brings out your eyes or skin colour. You'll know when it's right. Or what matches your usual bag or shoes.

I have a hair app on Wednesday. I'm tempted to have it chopped but I think I will regret it. I've had it highlighted a long time now. Sometimes I look at Lauren Goodgers hair and think maybe I should have that kind of colour - just enhancing what's there instead if dramatic lightening but I feel invisible with dark hair hmm

CoTananat Mon 29-Jul-13 20:57:09

Agree wholeheartedly on the hair skin and nails. Those are my main issues and on good-skin-days a soso outfit can look amazing.

My brows are shit atm because I'm growing them into a different shape; normally they're pretty well groomed and I notice that I do look noticeably more, hm, accidental in myself.

Keep a clothes brush by your front door and make it a habit to brush down your shoulders and trouser cuffs, particularly, as you leave the house. And do your bum! Pet hair and crumb bum is not a together look, take my learnings.

Get a decent bra.

If you've got big boobs and a little waist, get your jackets a size or two up and have them taken in by an alterations lady. It's completely worth it, trust me.

Decent haircut and colour
Hair treatments every week
A decent serum for glossy hair (Elvive Extraordinary oil is ver' good)
Eyebrows need to be tidy (I keep tweezers by a mirror in a well lit area that I pass by so that stray hairs can be removed when I see them)
Natural-ish makeup (good, light foundation)
Natural quality fabrics
More expensive clothes (ebay is great for this) especially basics but I rarely buy anything full price.
Clean ironed clothes
Clothes that fit and aren't too big/small/ have holes in them
Decent expensive looking accessories
Not too much bling

Steamedcabbage Mon 29-Jul-13 21:20:50

That's a good tip about having alterations done Cotananat Come to think of it, they are very keen on that over here (mainland Europe) alterations offered as standard in many shops. Do you think the same thing would work for narrow shoulders/big norks? Can never get anything to fit properly on shoulders so aim to fit in that area first ....but think shoulders are problematic to alter?? Not sure???

LadyBigtoes Mon 29-Jul-13 21:48:27

I don't think I really look "amazing at soft play" (!) but when I think I look OK it's because...

- I try to buy bunches of things that will work together so it's easy to throw on a reasonable outfit - so don't just buy things as a one-off, but as part of your favourite colour groups or styles, so that you can mix and match without stress. Eg in winter I have various tights/dresses or skirts/tops/boots that will all go together whatever order I throw them on in.

- Always add a necklace (or scarf, bracelets, whatever) if time, it makes you look more like you didn't just roll out of bed. In summer, sandals and painted toenails jazzes things up.

- I think feeling confident and being smiley make a huge difference even if you are wearing just jeans and a t-shirt. I once read something that said "pretend you're Madonna when you walk into a room". Well not exactly but you can kind of imagine yourself into having that kind of confidence and self-possession. Don't feel insecure about what you're wearing - if you wanted to look put together, great, if you're having a scruffy day, also great, everyone is allowed to.

LadyBigtoes Mon 29-Jul-13 21:55:53

Also, if something doesn't work on you, just don't bother with it. I'm pear shaped with a long back and jackets make me look weird and lumpy - I just never wear them (long cardigans with a waist tie, or a flare-shaped coat instead is much better). Any kind of collar makes me look like a man - I never wear them. I can't do high heels, I'm very tall and I can't balance on them. Don't sweat over trying to find the right versions of things that women are "supposed" to wear - find what YOU are comfortable in and suits you best.

Really interesting thread. I remember reading about proportions and thinking "absolutely". A lot of people get their proportions wrong i.e. skinny jeans but with too short a top or baggy boyfriend jeans but with baggy t-shirt rather than fitted shirt. I also wear hair up if fussy neckline and down if plain t-shirt.

I always like to have two/three colours max even at school I was known as the girl who always had matching ribbon in hair/ankle socks.

Also I cover up more. I'm 42 and although size 10 have varicose veins and sun damaged décolleté and have ditched some of my more shorter dresses for longer skirts and higher necked t-shirts which still show off my arms but hide my chunky monkey legs. I came to the realisation that after a certain age less is more and that age, for me, is now grin

Also confidence is everything, you feel good you'll look great smile

Clarification: when I was at school as a child, I don't do the school run in matching ponytail ribbon and ankle socks grin

Steamedcabbage Mon 29-Jul-13 22:02:59

Think you have hit the nail on the head there Ladybigtoes
You don't have to follow fashion (you can always nod to it in the shape of a scarf or a colour) wear what suits ...

And that's another great tip about limiting your colour palette - Bluesatinsash- especially if on a tight budget

ShoeWhore Mon 29-Jul-13 22:12:11

grin at palmarella

Nothing so exciting I am afraid.

Not hard to be more adventurous styling wise than my oh-so-very-tasteful neighbour. I think clothes should be fun. Flipside is sometimes I get it wrong and look crap.

And I am slapdash as in don't bother with makeup day to day, have the odd bad hair day, forget to keep my eyebrows tidy etc. So I lack that overall groomed look grin

Liveinthepresent Mon 29-Jul-13 23:21:03

Great thread - am reading avidly - am also BF and feeling a bit lost on style right now - too big for pre pg clothes and my hair is a disaster zone.

Never had groomed eyebrows might try it as a fairly quick idea.

Nothing useful to add though !

WandaDoff Mon 29-Jul-13 23:24:45

Off to bed now, but marking place for tomorrow.

I need to get rid of too big clothes hmm
I also find nursing bras come up higher and show under more clothes. Deliberating buying some different ones but dd2 9 months now not sure it's worth it.

I'm adopting the buy less spend more mantra. No more next for me - I ditched new look and primark back along. Def buying a few pieces from white company and people tree. I will work on accessories too grin
Thanks everyone I resolutely pedicured tonight - starting as I mean to go on gringrin

Kiwiinkits Tue 30-Jul-13 04:36:28

YY to spend more, buy less. Buy quality fabric (wools, silks) and ensure it's well fitted. I've bought quality items that are still going FIFTEEN YEARS later. Still in work ready condition. But those $20 tops get washed once or twice and they're throwaways.

I'm reasonably well put together but have terrible nails and seldom wear jewellery. But I often get comments and compliments about my clothes. My secret is that I am not afraid to spend big bucks on stuff I know will last. A wool coat, linen pants, merino jerseys. And I never, ever buy cheap fabrics. Got anything made from a fabric that's man-made, shiney or see-through? Consider passing it on.

Kiwiinkits Tue 30-Jul-13 04:39:44

Another tip is the 'scrunch test'. If you like something on a hanger, grab a handful in your hand and scrunch it. If it looks wrinkled and withered after that, then that's what it's going to look like on you after you've sat on the tube in the morning.

BFing is really hard for clothes. I just lived in dresses. Had a good wrap-around cardigan. But I was glad to go back to my old clothes when I stopped BFing, I really was.

Kiwiinkits Tue 30-Jul-13 04:43:37
Secretswitch Tue 30-Jul-13 05:18:54

If you are in rush to get out the door and have no time to put your slap on, lip stain and sun glasses are your best friend.

Also OP if you're really lost on your hair (which sounds MUCH nicer than mine, so I wouldn't personally take this advice) you might consider heated rollers. Switch them on, put them in (which after practise takes less than 10 mins), do the breakfast / tooth brushing business while they cool, take them out, brush them through and you're golden. Gives your hair an instantly nice shape with curls or just movement depending on how you do them. If you have a natural wave it should hold beautifully.

Might not be practical for you, or necessary, but my hair is straight, flat and fine and I am now absolutely dependent on mine!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now