First bra for 12 yo DD

(12 Posts)

I bought a couple of Primark bras (to save ££) but the straps were so thin and dug in so actually money wasted.

Sainsburys or M&S

Got my DD (11yo) in M&S when she decided to move from crop-tops to bras.

trinity0097 Thu 25-Jul-13 20:50:45

Whilst you have the tape out why not measure yourself and see if you are in the right size bra?

They are one of the few places who do 28A-C and their bras seem to be OK for smaller sizes (I don't think they scale very well so they are rubbish for bigger/heavier norks IYSWIM)

But run away from their tapes measures - under their measuring system they would have her as about a 32 negative B smile

Ihatemytoes Thu 25-Jul-13 20:35:31

Thanks. We'll try Marks. Can't believe she's a B cup! They look tiny!

Bunbaker Thu 25-Jul-13 20:02:59

M and S are crap at measuring, but I like their bras very much. I am small of nork and find that they have a huge selection for me to choose from. I measured DD myself and bought her first bras from there as well.

Unfortunately M&S being good happens rarely. Essentially their training method is wrong (see the mega "i'm tweeting M&S" thread on S&B) so you only get a properly fitting bra in there if you have a rogue fitter who has been trained elsewhere.

I hate to say it but there is actually a very strong chance she isn't in the right size. I'm afraid the same applies for joliejolie - if you can buy your DD's bras at Primark or New Look then that suggests they probably fitted her in a bigger band than she needs as those stores don't normally do small band sizes and most teens need them in reality

Merrylegs Thu 25-Jul-13 15:27:21

I will go against the grain and say m&s were v good at measuring dd for her first bra, although I know they get bad reviews on here.

She chose a couple from their 'Angel' range and says they're v comfy and pretty too.

Plus she got a well fitted sports bra from there which has made her a lot more comfortable and confident about playing sport at school.

HazleNutt Thu 25-Jul-13 15:23:54

True, the 26s would have to be custom made. But you can get a Rixie clip, if the 28s are too big in the back.

noooooo not marks and Spencer measuring. .....angry

as 26s don't exist I would try a 28b and c

HazleNutt Thu 25-Jul-13 14:23:44

nooo don't let Marks measure her, they are hopeless and will put her in way too big back size.

She would need about 26-28, C or D cups. Very hard to find unfortunately, online is your best bet, figleaves should have something.

joliejolie Thu 25-Jul-13 14:02:59

I bought my dd's first bra at Marks. They will measure her as well and they are usually very helpful about it all.
Now that we have her size, I have been buying bras at Primark and New Look because they have cuter styles.

Ihatemytoes Thu 25-Jul-13 13:55:08

She's in crop tops at the mo, but I think she needs a proper bra now. I've measured her as 27 inches under her bust and 30 inches across. does that make her a 28A? Also can anyone recommend a good shop for first bras? Thanks.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now