First bra for 12 yo DD

(12 Posts)
Ihatemytoes Thu 25-Jul-13 13:55:08

She's in crop tops at the mo, but I think she needs a proper bra now. I've measured her as 27 inches under her bust and 30 inches across. does that make her a 28A? Also can anyone recommend a good shop for first bras? Thanks.

joliejolie Thu 25-Jul-13 14:02:59

I bought my dd's first bra at Marks. They will measure her as well and they are usually very helpful about it all.
Now that we have her size, I have been buying bras at Primark and New Look because they have cuter styles.

HazleNutt Thu 25-Jul-13 14:23:44

nooo don't let Marks measure her, they are hopeless and will put her in way too big back size.

She would need about 26-28, C or D cups. Very hard to find unfortunately, online is your best bet, figleaves should have something.

noooooo not marks and Spencer measuring. .....angry

as 26s don't exist I would try a 28b and c

HazleNutt Thu 25-Jul-13 15:23:54

True, the 26s would have to be custom made. But you can get a Rixie clip, if the 28s are too big in the back.

Merrylegs Thu 25-Jul-13 15:27:21

I will go against the grain and say m&s were v good at measuring dd for her first bra, although I know they get bad reviews on here.

She chose a couple from their 'Angel' range and says they're v comfy and pretty too.

Plus she got a well fitted sports bra from there which has made her a lot more comfortable and confident about playing sport at school.

Unfortunately M&S being good happens rarely. Essentially their training method is wrong (see the mega "i'm tweeting M&S" thread on S&B) so you only get a properly fitting bra in there if you have a rogue fitter who has been trained elsewhere.

I hate to say it but there is actually a very strong chance she isn't in the right size. I'm afraid the same applies for joliejolie - if you can buy your DD's bras at Primark or New Look then that suggests they probably fitted her in a bigger band than she needs as those stores don't normally do small band sizes and most teens need them in reality

Bunbaker Thu 25-Jul-13 20:02:59

M and S are crap at measuring, but I like their bras very much. I am small of nork and find that they have a huge selection for me to choose from. I measured DD myself and bought her first bras from there as well.

Ihatemytoes Thu 25-Jul-13 20:35:31

Thanks. We'll try Marks. Can't believe she's a B cup! They look tiny!

They are one of the few places who do 28A-C and their bras seem to be OK for smaller sizes (I don't think they scale very well so they are rubbish for bigger/heavier norks IYSWIM)

But run away from their tapes measures - under their measuring system they would have her as about a 32 negative B smile

trinity0097 Thu 25-Jul-13 20:50:45

Whilst you have the tape out why not measure yourself and see if you are in the right size bra?

I bought a couple of Primark bras (to save ££) but the straps were so thin and dug in so actually money wasted.

Sainsburys or M&S

Got my DD (11yo) in M&S when she decided to move from crop-tops to bras.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now