I'd love to get that polished look like the Duchess of Cambridge, Kim Sears et al

(104 Posts)
CambridgeBlue Wed 24-Jul-13 14:23:23

I hate the fake nails/hair/tan look that a lot of celebs go for but I'd love to pull off the sleek swishy look that these ladies do so well. I know they have the best hairdressers and make-up artists at their disposal plus generous budgets, and clearly that's not an option for most of us, but there must be other things I could do to make myself look a bit more polished and classy.

I don't suit dresses and heels (nor does my lifestyle) but I don't live in jeans either. I buy quite nice stuff but seem to either look too 'done' and a bit frumpy or casual and slightly scruffy. When I was reading up on colour and style analysis I worked out that I might be a 'natural' type - could that be why I am destined to look like a student or my mother-in-law instead of a classy bird? smile

Paintyourbox Fri 26-Jul-13 10:48:03

There's defo something about good brows. The few days before I get mine threaded I always look crap, regardless of how polished the rest of me is. Since threading them people have started to say how well shaped they are instead of the dodgy plucked look

Off to get my nails done today too- nothing flash, just a shape and tidy up but every little bit helps right?!

Just don't mention ditching the fried chicken

PlatinumStart Fri 26-Jul-13 08:57:03

Definitely agree re brows - after years of having them "averagely" threaded I have started seeing a "brow stylist" and the change is phenomenal. I thought they were good before but not I actually get complimented specifically on my brows, I've been told I look years younger and friends are always asking what it is I've had "done"

TSSDNCOP Fri 26-Jul-13 08:24:33

It's all about eyebrows to start with. google any "before" shots of Jen Anniston, Kate Wales et al and they change radically once their brows are defined. Threading is the way to go, Asian women have brows down pat.

Then it's hair that's manageable be it short or long, and again it's all in the cut. Buy the best you can afford, have it done every 6 weeks. Ditto colour. Certain things just do not look as good if done yourself: pay peanuts, get monkies

Water and fruit for clear skin. Excercise is why Cameron Diaz always looks so bloody good.

Bobbi cosmetics, lightly done.

Heed your mums advice: legs or boobs, eyes or lips but never both at the same time. Buy fewer, better quality clothes.

Smile. Nothing says try to hard like a rictus face like really, really good looking people

Matsikula Thu 25-Jul-13 21:14:42

I actually don't like her hair. It is the hair of someone with too much time on their hands, and makes her look like princess barbie. Groomed is one thing, but her 'do' is often pretty much identical to Cheryl Cole's.

I agree about the power of blusher. On me I think it even makes more difference than mascara, and the bobbie brown counters are good at matching you with the right colour.

I liked her post-birth outfit. It was nice that she wasn't too trussed up, and it's really refreshing to see someone high profile with a post-natal bump.

mummiebummie Thu 25-Jul-13 20:15:02

Extensions, yes. It would almost be more of a surprise if KM didn't have them, imo.
I agree that she is nice looking rather than beautiful, but definitely has the polished look. A combination of her style personality (which her mum seems to share) and a mega budget.
Being extremely thin also helps but there are lots of skinny girls who don't look polished too so it really does depend.

ZolaBuddleia Thu 25-Jul-13 10:26:10

I wear Bobbi Brown Slopes blusher.

<waits for you all to curtsey>

CambridgeBlue Thu 25-Jul-13 09:18:44

I think that is a lot of my problem Bumblequeen - I am slimmish but with a curvy hourglass figure - in the sort of dresses the D of C wears I either look frumpy or like Barbara Windsor!

Thanks for all the replies, this is really interesting reading. I think PlatinumStart's list is about right but not sure I've got the time, budget or inclination for that lot! Definitely picked up a few tips for ditching my inner student though smile

Bumblequeen Thu 25-Jul-13 08:38:33

I do not think KM is beautiful. Pretty, yes. She has striking eyes but her lips are almost non existent when she smiles.

She has an athletic shape and wears classic clothes. Some ageing, others not. Her maternity wardrobe was nice. I would not have said no to any of those outfits!

I agree with the poster who stated that slim women wear day dresses effortlessly while the more curvier look like they are trying too hard.

Daily, I admire slim women, 10 and under who wear day dresses to work. I am a 12 and could not pull it off so easily.

missbopeep Thu 25-Jul-13 08:34:27

Not sure about her tan- according to Jan Moir D Mail, she was wearing tights outside the hospital. Her arms aren't that tanned. She also has a very lined forehead in the close up pics, as does Pippa, and she appears to have some holes in her forehead from previous spots. Having said that she is very pretty, I'm just disputing that she's had loads of treatments because she'd have this stuff fixed if she had!

Housewife2010 Thu 25-Jul-13 08:10:14

I reckon she has a natural tan at the moment. She's a known sun worshipper & has probably been enjoying the recent heatwave in the gardens of Middleton Manor & KP.

Kate Wales wears a bit too much make up to look fresh faced, but her hair, legs and generally very slim, toned figure give her a very groomed look, IMO.

Jemster Thu 25-Jul-13 07:52:29

What tan do you reckon KM uses to get that colour? I've been searching for years to find one to give that effect and still haven't! In particular her face, looks so healthy due to the tan. I spent a fortune on a clarins face tan but it's barely noticeable!

PlatinumStart Thu 25-Jul-13 07:18:43

She's the ultimate package girl.

Without intervention she'd be just another reasonable looking woman with good genes however she clearly works hard at the look.

As a minimum she will:

Permenantly diet
Work out
Professional blow dries
Fake tan
Waxed/threaded
Manicure/pedicure
Brows lashes tinted
Stylist
Excellent dental care

Additionally she quite possibly has:
Regular facials
Subtle lash extensions
Hair extensions
Botox
Other "beauty" treatments

All this on a pretty much unlimited budget.

I'm not adverse to any of these things, in fact I quite like to indulge but her look is hard work,mime consuming and expensive.

Scarletohello Wed 24-Jul-13 23:03:30

Er, marry a prince...? smile

valiumredhead Wed 24-Jul-13 22:28:09

Arf @jamas and chickengrin

WholeLottaRosie Wed 24-Jul-13 22:02:28

They aren't necessarily having a blow dry every day though are they? Just the days they know they'll be seen in public.
I bet if Kate is staying in for the next few weeks it'll be hair in a pony tail and no make-up. Can't quite see her in jogging pants and a stained t-shirt though, wonder what her chill-out clothes are like?

CambridgeBlue Wed 24-Jul-13 21:58:27

I definitely see that about her Faddy, she's actually got quite a cheeky face!

I'm off to buy a new blusher and get hair extensions and a boob reduction.

missbopeep Wed 24-Jul-13 21:04:52

Evidently the blusher is Bobbi Brown- my money is on 'Slopes'.

I think she has a very line to tread with her formal clothes- she looks great in jeans and a jumper but her 'outfits' have to show Britain in a certain light- it's almost a costume she wears for her role. When you look back at- dare I say it- Diana- her outfits at times were ghastly and very ageing. I think it must be very hard for someone like the Duchess to choose outfits that are youthful yet respectful to the monarchy because she is part of the 'Firm'. Off duty she looks much younger.

Paintyourbox Wed 24-Jul-13 20:52:19

Reading with interest, I would love to have that naturally polished look.

However I don't hold out much hope as I am sitting in my PJs eating fried chicken blush

oohdaddypig Wed 24-Jul-13 20:47:30

I really think its down to being willing to brow dry your [long and thick] hair every day. Who can be arsed with that?

I do think Kate and Kim look gorgeous. They are naturally pretty and make the best of themselves but not in a tarty or frumpy way. Which to me means well fitting but not clinging.

I would love to look like Jen A though - she looks casual yet stunning AND her hair isn't always down...

ivykaty44 Wed 24-Jul-13 20:46:12

Cheryl and Luisa's fake tan

cheerfulweather Wed 24-Jul-13 20:34:35

I too think she looks overdone and frumpy, and years older than her actual age.

merrymouse Wed 24-Jul-13 20:32:33

I think Cheryl cole's looks suits what she does - something would be wrong if she dressed like Kate.

However, apprentice finalists looked a bit odd because they did heels AND boobs AND legs AND tan AND hair etc etc.

You can't flaunt everything and look polished.

bamboostalks Wed 24-Jul-13 20:21:11

Kate looks amazing, am full of admiration. Hope William knows how lucky he is.

FaddyPeony Wed 24-Jul-13 20:17:19

I think that Kate does really have good genes. Not sure if there's much in comparing her to her former pre-polished self - people's faces change a lot between teenagerhood and womanhood - mine certainly did; it's become much less round and babyish, although my weight has been more or less the same for years.

The question about C.Cole et al not looking as glowingly polished is interesting. I have been thinking about this and here's what I've come up with: Kate wears blusher really well. It's the right shade of baby pink -- it makes her look cute and healthy and attractive. It makes her eyes and teeth glow. It enhances her natural air of supressed merriment (does anyone else notice that or is it just me?!). Whereas other more made-up women often choose a more contoured look to make them look glam, Kate's blusher makes her look healthy and pretty. (BTW I really do NOT agree that she looks older than 31 - at all!)

I've a friend who looks effortlessly healthy and polished in this way. Lots of it is down to genes, being slim, and looking great with a (real?) tan. But my friend also spends up to an hour blowdrying her hair every day. I am not kidding. It's insanely beautiful hair - we are talking a long thick gleaming sheet of loveliness - but OMG.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now