I'd love to get that polished look like the Duchess of Cambridge, Kim Sears et al

(104 Posts)
CambridgeBlue Wed 24-Jul-13 14:23:23

I hate the fake nails/hair/tan look that a lot of celebs go for but I'd love to pull off the sleek swishy look that these ladies do so well. I know they have the best hairdressers and make-up artists at their disposal plus generous budgets, and clearly that's not an option for most of us, but there must be other things I could do to make myself look a bit more polished and classy.

I don't suit dresses and heels (nor does my lifestyle) but I don't live in jeans either. I buy quite nice stuff but seem to either look too 'done' and a bit frumpy or casual and slightly scruffy. When I was reading up on colour and style analysis I worked out that I might be a 'natural' type - could that be why I am destined to look like a student or my mother-in-law instead of a classy bird? smile

merrymouse Wed 24-Jul-13 17:32:03

I think Kim sears should have had a little prize for her hair at the final - in that heat too! (or is there aircon on centre court?). It was so swishy.

noddyholder Wed 24-Jul-13 17:55:22

I think hair like that is something you are born with I have it and am a lazy moo Sadly the rest of me has gone to pot

MrsPercyPig Wed 24-Jul-13 17:56:40

I think it's to do with the LK Bennett wedges and similar style shoes and a pretty (just above knee) dress.

I think she looks great too.

hermioneweasley Wed 24-Jul-13 17:57:21

A friend of mine goes to same salon as KM. <cough....extensions...cough>

Iatemyskinnyperson Wed 24-Jul-13 17:57:53

You've got to give KM prizes for being photogenic though. I've never seen a bad pic of her. I quite like her style. Especially her maternity wear- she was really elegant & not at all tent-like.

How to achieve her look? Be blessed with good genes, good taste and lots of money I'd say...

noddyholder Wed 24-Jul-13 17:59:19

They both look older than they are That is not something to aspire to. You can see that polished look any day of the week in Chelsea but with a cool edge which is more youthful The dresses are hideous!

merrymouse Wed 24-Jul-13 18:06:04

You have to pay for a good hair colourist as well to get those flattering 'In my spare time I'm a beach lifeguard' highlights.

squoosh Wed 24-Jul-13 18:06:07

I KNEW she had extensions.

Gossip is proof in my book wink

bookishandblondish Wed 24-Jul-13 18:15:06

The other thing about the clothes is they will fit properly - I used to know two very well groomed women and both got up two hours earlier to do their hair. But also, both admitted to buying clothes too big and getting them taken in by dressmakers so top shop wasn't only a top shop dress.

MrsPercyPig Wed 24-Jul-13 18:15:13

Do people really think KM looks older than 30?

I don't know, I think she looks very appropriate for her age and position.

What does 30 look like anyway?!

bigkidsdidit Wed 24-Jul-13 18:16:21

I'd love this look but I have very curly hair and will never look sleek.

You need good legs for this look too

valiumredhead Wed 24-Jul-13 18:19:37

Yeah,I think she looks a very polished 33. Her make up is really ageing.

merrymouse Wed 24-Jul-13 18:21:08

She is older than 30

MrsPercyPig Wed 24-Jul-13 18:22:42

So only a few years then? I thought you were going to say 40 odd!

valiumredhead Wed 24-Jul-13 18:25:38

How old is she?

MrsPercyPig Wed 24-Jul-13 18:26:32

valiumredhead Wed 24-Jul-13 18:28:32

I thought she was only about 26 but looked 33. Just googled she's 31.

She looks just right then imogrin

cocolepew Wed 24-Jul-13 18:34:34

I knew she had extensions! Her hair looks like Cheryl Coles.
Gossip is proof for me too.

valiumredhead Wed 24-Jul-13 18:41:18

My friend has extensions-they cost a bomb and are EXACTLY the same colour as her hair, put them underneath and you really can't tell.

Gossip is proofgrin

auldspinster Wed 24-Jul-13 18:49:58

I've got fine hair but masses of it, my hair looks like that when it's blow dried, not convinced she has extensions.

PaulSmenis Wed 24-Jul-13 18:56:23

Looking good is expensive unless you're young. I try to look polished but fail miserably. After getting my hair cut and roots touched every 8 weeks and getting my legs and my nether regions done every 8 weeks, I'm basically skint.

I try to buy classic clothes but always end up with something that catches my eye and is a bit vintage. Need more self restraint and grownupness!

Layl77 Wed 24-Jul-13 18:57:26

She has a lot of fake tan on for someone who had just given birth. Looks fab but she's very brown! Chocolate brown blow dried hair and lots of eyeliner.
Conservative, well fitting clothes too. She didn't look big pregnant as she wore skimming clothes rather than baggy or tight.

ivykaty44 Wed 24-Jul-13 19:01:50

I sat about 6 months before the olympics and watched kerry-An Payne giving a swim demo - she was amazingly stunning in a swim suit without make-up on - it is the radiance of being slim, well cared for hair and good food along with the best way to treat your body is to regular exercise.

ivykaty44 Wed 24-Jul-13 19:03:23
CambridgeBlue Wed 24-Jul-13 19:27:34

So why is it that someone like Cheryl Cole doesn't look as - using this word again - polished? Or Luisa from The Apprentice? Or Amy Childs? Both have good figures, both wear the slim fitting dress and heels with big hair look and yet neither of them have that classy edge - that's what I want!

(But I haven't got big hair or good legs and I'm short with an hourglass figure so I think it's likely to be impossible!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now