What is my bra size please?

(39 Posts)
milkglass Mon 22-Jul-13 13:53:06

New to the boards and am confused at bras sizes. I'm looking to buy new bras this evening - what sizes should I try?

I measure 30" under the bust and 38.5" when bra-less leaning forwards.

Please help me look and feel fabulous!

Babylonmoo Wed 24-Jul-13 01:14:18

Thanks so much. V interesting.

Parisisalwaysagoodidea Tue 23-Jul-13 15:34:58

Thanks for your reply Statistically.

I don't think I tried a Freya bra, maybe I should order some online as I've been to House of Fraser as well and they had no 28 backs at all sad

Since my first post I remembered that the lady in Bravissimo told me that the armpit fat is because of the tight band. Should I try a 30 back as well? She did say that the back looked fine in a 28 though. I'm not especially narrow and I wouldn't think I would fit the smallest size

Armpit fat can also be a bra style issue - if your boobs are wide and the cups are narrow, no amount of scooping will make it stay put. Did you try anything by Freya which are generally a wider cup IME.

28 is still not very common - it's the smallest back size there is

Parisisalwaysagoodidea Tue 23-Jul-13 15:20:51

I am getting so confused and would be very grateful if somebody could please help me!

I was given a starting measurement of 30FF yesterday on one of these threads, in Bravissimo They declared me a 28FF.

The band felt fine and stretched an inch or 2 when I put it on backwards. However, even though I scooped and scooped, there was rather a lot of armpit fat despite there being no back fat at all.

I thought that it might be the cups that were too small so I tried on a 28G. Still the same armpit fat problem but gappy cups. Bravissimo lady said that everyone gets this and you can't see it with clothes on but the fat was quite significant!

I tried on mostly balconette styles and a Panache 'Superbra' or something like that. The Panache made me look like I was wearing a bullet bra, which I really didn't like, but fit the best around the armpits.

So what now? Bravissimo admitted that they didn't have a lot of 28's in stock. I thought 28 was a standard size, is it not? Should I try a bigger band? A different style bra? If so, which style?

Bras really are the hardest thing to shop for!

cocolepew United States Tue 23-Jul-13 14:06:51

Thank you!

I'd start with the same size cocolepew and adjust from there. Read the blog info about how to test the fit (I linked up there somewhere!)

Babylonmoo, nobody is entirely sure where or why - it seems like when fabrics improved (lycra/elastane) and bras became stretchier the need to be adding inches went away. Some companies (like Bravissimo) have been fitting in the new way for a long time - they've been around for 18 years and as far as I am aware they have always fitted this way. They don't use a tape measure - they do it by eye/try but if you get fitted there the bra you come out with does not add inches. Rigby and Peller are the same.

Unfortunately much of the high street hasn't caught up. Part of the reason is that they really would need to change the range of sizes they stock - when correctly fitted there are a lot of 28s, and masses of 30s and 32s (all those people that have been fitted in 34-38 in the past) and a need for a much wider range of cup sizes too. They'd also need to retrain their bra fitting staff.

But as someone pointed out on the M&S thread, this just doesn't work. What about women who have less than a 4 or 5" difference between their boobs. Lets take DancingQueen above (sorry dancing!) - she measures 30 and 32. Under the old system M&S would say she was a 34.....erm....negative B? Or someone measuring 29 and 33. That's an odd number so we'd add 5, putting them in a 34 (again). But they still have an overbust that's less than their "band size"...so someone with a 4" difference between under and overbust i.e. noticeable boobs, essentially does not have a bra size. It doesn't make any sense.

cocolepew United States Tue 23-Jul-13 13:54:10

I started a thread this morning to find out my size I was a 36E from measuring 36/42.

If I was 37/42 would the bra size be the same?

OK, that helps. In terms of cup volume, a 34A has the same volume as a 30C. If it's gaping a bit, then that suggests you might need slightly less boob space so I would start with the 30B and work from there.

Babylonmoo Tue 23-Jul-13 13:47:47

Hi, why has the add 5 inches method been around for so long? I am going to try this new method but confess I am a little skeptical.

Dancingqueen17 Tue 23-Jul-13 13:38:34

Not much to scoop!!! 34a cups empty at top
Thanks for your advice

A lot of it is on here thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.co.uk but we need to add more info

LIZS Tue 23-Jul-13 13:29:34

thank you , perhaps we need a definitive MN guide for Bra Fitting !

as a starting point yes - but how are the cups on your 34A? At smaller sizes the cup size per inch is a little less accurate so how the cup fits will give us an idea of whether we need to adjust from there. Remember to scoop before you look at them!

30B sounds right

Dancingqueen17 Tue 23-Jul-13 13:23:44

Ok always worn 34 a measure 30 under and 32 bent forward so should I be 30 b

Ok, several signs your bra is wrong there. The flesh between underarm and cup needs to be in the cup. The wires riding up mean the band is too big. In terms of scooping - scoop everything you can! If it will go forward then forward it goes.

Try it in your current bra - you should find you have substantial quad boob after scooping I would expect

When the bra is on back to front (easiest way to appraise it) you should only be able to stretch the band a couple of inches.

LIZS Tue 23-Jul-13 13:03:42

Can someone explain "scooping" and how much you should be able to stretch the band away from body. I've come out as 36E/38D I think. I am wearing 38B which feels smooth in cup but there is a gap of flesh between edge of cup and underarm and wires don't sit flat against body underneath and ride up.

MrsH i'm in the losing weight boat myself. It kind of depends how you lose weight tbh - mine always goes from my back size first. On that basis if I was between sizes I would go for the smaller band (maybe with an extender) and then tighten through the hooks as I lost weight.

However, thanks to places like brastop you can get good bras at relatively cheap prices and you will generally feel better about yourself if they fit right so it might be worth roughly keeping your size correct but only buying a couple at a time

Sorrel, do you do house calls? grin

I'm currently dieting, I have about 4 stone to lose. So how often should I get new bras? The one I have at the moment is horribly uncomfortable, it feels like it rubs and I can pull the gore (?) about an inch away from my body. But I can't for the life of me do my bras up at the back and if I try a smaller back size and do it up at the front I can't then turn it round confused

Any ideas?

milkglass Tue 23-Jul-13 07:58:49

Sorrel, thank you so much. I honestly couldn't believe I would fit in such a size, but I found a 30f to be great in a t shirt style. The shop assistants were all commenting to each other when I asked for the sizes and were looking at me as if saying 'she's never an f'. I dont think they liked me not asking for their help tbh, but they were doing the adding band inches to the lady in the next cubicle, so no way!

Just waiting in the checkout queue I cant belive how many women were wearing and buying such obviously wrong sized bras. I am a true convert.

Thank you! I cant believe how much my clothes fit better too. DH thought i'd bought a new top saying how nice it looked....I went shopping in it but put my new bra on before I got home!

shopalot Mon 22-Jul-13 20:42:23

Thanks ilovepowerhoop..... I have also had a look at figleaves. Sparkle...will take note of dodgy sizing lol. Thanks.

sparkle12mar08 Mon 22-Jul-13 19:36:11

Be aware that there are a number of reports about M&S sizing being a bit off this season, backs seem to be running quite small, and their construction isn't brilliant anyway tbh.

shopalot Mon 22-Jul-13 18:55:27

Oh dear M&S don't make a 30e....off to google

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now