need some new make up basics what would you recommend?

(11 Posts)
MadAboutHotChoc Sat 20-Jul-13 18:56:36

Everyone is different but I only use:

Eyeliner
Mascara
Eye shadow (in neutrals)
Face powder
Lipstick

I never wear foundation but use a concealer when I have a spot. Much of my make up is from No 7 (esp eye make up).

LowLevelWhinging Sat 20-Jul-13 18:55:29

I'm a fan of BB/CC cream if you don't need much coverage.

The Garnier BB cream is a great budget buy but I've just bought the Clinique CC cream which is lovely and light and glowy.

I wear it with Laura Mercier tinted mercier for the dewy finish. (although in this weather, Im trying to avoid looking too dewy!)

ComtessedeFrouFrou Sat 20-Jul-13 18:54:35

The Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser is good, I've just started using it.

Bobbi Brown make excellent foundations (although in not that impressed with their longwear one, a bit sticky and thick for me).

For concealer, if its for under eyes I am using the Garnier caffeine roll on with colour and I have been really impressed. I was using a phenomenally expensive Bobbi Brown one and the Garnier one is just as good really.

Have you shaped your eyebrows? I find that makes a huge difference and can lift my whole face.

andadietcoke Sat 20-Jul-13 18:51:11

Teint éclat foundation from YSL
Concealer from Nars
Eyeliner - cake liner from Laura Mercier

I adore the eyeliner and foundation. I don't use concealer often but have heard that the new Nars one is amazing.

EverythingInMjiniature Sat 20-Jul-13 18:46:48

I just got nars sheer glow foundation, and I'm totally in love with it. Had so many compliments on my flawless skin in the week since I bought it! Am v pale too.

My new favourite is REN BB cream with sunscreen

Vibbe Sat 20-Jul-13 18:36:44

Get samples from different brands and decide what you like best.

I use Diorskin Nude foundation. I have Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser (lighter coverage than foundation) and Estee Lauder BB cream (same as tinted moisturiser). I like those products a lot.

Concealer I can't really help with - I use a Vichy dermablend liquid foundation as concealer when I need it.

I hardly ever use eyeliner, so I only have a gel one from Maybelline. Kohls from Guerlain and MAC.

I would recommend getting a blush. I find that foundation will even out the skin, but can make it look a bit lifeless and that blush really helps.

A good mascara is also very nice - IMO more important than eyeliner.

ITCouldBeWorse Sat 20-Jul-13 18:22:29

I'd go for a really good moisturiser from Khiels and a ton of make up from superdrug make up,academy. I've been deleted with loads of their stuff, some on £2-3.

pizzaqueen Sat 20-Jul-13 18:07:01

I would like to treat myself and replace some of my make up. I think I need:
foundation
concealer
eye liner

What brand should I go for? my budget isn't unlimited but happy to spend a little bit more for better quality. I have really pale skin so would like to go to a counter where they can colour match for me.

I'm currently wearing maybeline mousse foundation and 17 concealer stick. It's not great. I spend about 10-15 mins a day putting make up on and don't want to spend much longer than that. Are there any other essential products you'd recommend? What's no7 like?

thanks ladies!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now