So I just measured by bra size and I'm shocked, is it right?

(776 Posts)
SchrodingersFanny Thu 18-Jul-13 22:55:16

I measured under and I'm 34. Well I'm 33.5. That is taut, completely flat to skin.

When I do the lean over measurement (which made dh smirk) I measured 41inches.

Am I right thinking that makes me 34E?

I have teeny (saggy and deflated) bosoms!

28E as a start point - the next cup up is an F

Birdinho Sat 07-Sep-13 09:21:37

Total revelation! Have been happily scooping away in my 34Ds thinking they were a great comfy fit as they were, but have actually measured now and am 28/34 so actually a 28E or EE, right gurus? shock
Can't wait to try some of those bad boys on!

MadameGazelle Sat 07-Sep-13 08:23:43

Thanks - will report back, can't believe I've been wearing completely the wrong bra size all this time shock

SorrelForbes Sat 07-Sep-13 08:20:31

Straps falling down is a sign if too big a band. Gaping a true top is often caused by wearing moulded bras which don't for your shape properly or having bread which are heavier at the bottom.

I'd try a 34F/FF.

MadameGazelle Sat 07-Sep-13 08:17:23

Hi, I've just measured myself and am 34 and 41.5 does this make me a 34H? Been wearing a 36DD after getting measured which is very loose around the top of the cup and the straps are always falling down. Off on Monday so going to go bra shopping! Would be heaven to find a proper fitting bra!

try 32dd snd e but remember to scoop, that's often the reason for a mismatch

PiggyPlumPie Fri 06-Sep-13 10:05:55

Measured at 32 and 37/8 depending on which breast IYSWIM - tried a 32E and the cup size was obviously way too big!

What other sizes should I try???

Thanks

you try them all to see what fits best. so try 32f and ff and 34 e and f

ArtDecoGirly Fri 06-Sep-13 09:32:55

I used this (new to me) way of measuring myself last night... I've always bought 34B... I measured 33 under bust and 40 leaning forward! Which confused me. Do I round the 33 up to a 34? And do I start counting cups from the 33 I measured or the rounded up 34? Help! confused

36F, 36FF, 34FF, 34G. Sort the band out first by putting it on back to front and then sort the cups out after.

Pudden Thu 05-Sep-13 12:27:15

can someone help with my measurements please?

round chest is 35.5, bending over and round busters is 43

Wearing a 38 c at the moment which is wrong isn't it? grin

Lavenderhoney Wed 04-Sep-13 19:26:39

Thanks, next time I go shopping I will see how I get on.

Yep.

Try it back to front first so that you can check how the band fits. The band should be on the loosest hooks so the 34 is far too big.

Lavenderhoney Tue 03-Sep-13 18:28:22

I am venturing onto this thread as I think my bras are all wrong and stood in front of a mirror, in broad daylight, and was horrified - some were too small, two were too big, and the rest were just sitting there, not doing anything useful like supportingsmile I have had 2 dc and bf so I assume I have changed quite a lot!

Now, as I got rid of all the offending bras, I need to shopsmile I have just measured myself as per the blog spot and I am 30 round the band and 40 inches round my boobs, so that makes me a 30GG? Really? As at my slimmest, about 5 kg less than I am now, I was a 32G or 32 FF.

What have I done wrong? I don't think a 30 will go round me surely? I feel a bit weird taking that to try. I tried on one today at 34 F and that was ok, done up at the tightest hook. What do you bra ladies think?!

SorrelForbes Sat 31-Aug-13 19:31:47

A 38A is the same cup volume as a 30DD so not too much of a change really. You'll find the proportions quite different in a 30 though. Happy shopping.

LegoCaltrops Sat 31-Aug-13 19:02:05

Hi Sorrel thanks for that. Am simultaneously really pleased at possibly being a 30E/F/FF, and PMSL at the thought of my sad little post BF boobs being that big. I used to wear a 34/36/38 A/B until a few months ago including while I was BF DD & several stone heavier. Going shopping on Monday! grin

SorrelForbes Sat 31-Aug-13 18:35:01

LegoCaltrops Try a 30E/F.

A 30E has the same cup volume as a 32DD. If you scoop whilst wearing your 32DD, do you get overspill/quad boob/underarm bulge? If so then you need to try a 30F and maybe a 30FF.

LegoCaltrops Sat 31-Aug-13 18:31:11

Hi can you check I've worked this out right please? Following losing a lot of baby weight I've gone through several different bra sizes this year. I currently measure 30.5 under & 37 across, when leaning forward. Does this make me a 30E? I currently wear a fairly new 32DD, fastened on the tightest hook. TIA.

misspopsicle Sat 31-Aug-13 18:24:25

That's great, I'm very excited about buying some lovely new bras! Thank you!

SorrelForbes Sat 31-Aug-13 17:36:14

Yes, definitely try a 32 then as you should always wear a new bra on the loosest hooks.

Try and avoid the moulded style bras at first as they don't mould to your own shape and therefore tend to gape on a lot of women. I suspect that balconettes in your proper size will be fine grin

misspopsicle Sat 31-Aug-13 17:06:07

Thanks Sorrel! I'm wearing the 34 generally on the tightest fitting so I'll probably try a 32F to start with smile I usually buy moulded/plunge styles, yes. I always like the look of balconette bras but when I try them, I generally have nipples poking out over the top, very attractive haha!

SorrelForbes Sat 31-Aug-13 16:07:23

*misspopsicle Try a 32F/FF and a 34E/F. I would lay bets that the 32 band will be a better fit in most brands (you may need a 34 in the Debenhams Gorgeous range).

The cup volume on a 34D is roughly equal to the volume of a 32DD, The cup volume on a 34DD is roughly equal to the volume of a 32E.

If the 34D is giving you quad boob then you're going to need at least an E/F cup in a 32 band to rectify that issue. What type of bra are you wearing at the moment? If it's a moulded or plunge style, that could cause the gaping in the 34DD.

misspopsicle Sat 31-Aug-13 14:36:12

I've just discovered this thread. I've rarely ever had a bra that fits well and so I've just done the leaning over measure thing and I'm 33/40. Could any of you lovely ladies tell me what that makes me? I'm wearing a 34D at the mo but generally have double boob in it. Tried a 34 DD and it's too big. I suck at this!

lollylaughs Sat 31-Aug-13 13:00:36

Hi stat. It was an a cup at the time but she had smaller cup size then but i see now that an a cup then was already far too small. I haven't ever seen a 26 band either so will try her again with 28d or dd. I am not in uk but will search around and let her try some non wired ones from the bigger department stores. She seems to be on a massive growth spurt so I dare say these sizings will change again in no time.

Lol no offence taken, I find most bras uncomfortable at the best of times and I do find I 'hang low' in some of them so it could well be that the band size was always wrong. Thanks so much, I will report back once we have been shopping.

lolly, what cup size were you trying in those 28s? I suspect the reason that the band felt too tight was that there is insufficient cup space. And (no offence) but if you are wearing a 34 measuring 29.5 then your perception of tight band may be slightly off.

If they existed, she'd be around a 26D/DD. Sadly - they don't. So, what you will probably want to do is try 28s again, probably a C and D cup. You may find that you need to make these smaller in the cup - either using a Rixie Clip (ebay) or by sewing the bands to make them smaller. John Lewis does quite a few in these sizes in non wired teen bras so they may be a good place to start

You should be around a 30D/DD. The 30D actually has the same cup volume as your 34B, just a smaller band and a different shape. In some brands which run loose in the back you may even want a 28DD/E but I suspect you will want to start with 30s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now