So I just measured by bra size and I'm shocked, is it right?

(776 Posts)
SchrodingersFanny Thu 18-Jul-13 22:55:16

I measured under and I'm 34. Well I'm 33.5. That is taut, completely flat to skin.

When I do the lean over measurement (which made dh smirk) I measured 41inches.

Am I right thinking that makes me 34E?

I have teeny (saggy and deflated) bosoms!

Needs, before you found out about the correct way of measuring would you have said a DD is big? How do you feel about that now?

Spindelina Tue 20-Aug-13 15:24:08

Also, Celtic, the band doesn't actually feel tight. Snug, but not tight. It's the shoulder straps that are uncomfortable.

needasilverlining Tue 20-Aug-13 15:29:51

Rubber, I would have said that DD was HUGE and that 30DD were probably the measurements of someone stick thin and surgically enhanced, e.g. Page 3 model [obviously I was very wrong].

It is bizarre. How on earth can the mainstream measurements still be so very very wrong?

CelticPromise Tue 20-Aug-13 17:03:46

Hmmm Spin, I just think they are supposed to be tight enough to not fall down but not digging in. If you take them off entirely in a wired bra you shouldn't see a big change in shape, but I suspect that's different in a soft cup. If you feel that you need to tighten them to the point of backache because otherwise they slip down that can be a sign of band too big. I think you might be right about the cup though. The range of choice in nursing bras is generally rubbish. There are some Hotmilk ones on zulily if you are in the market for more.

It doesn't help when this is reported as a DD cup

Spindelina Tue 20-Aug-13 18:28:06

My broad shoulders mean I've never had problems with them slipping, even in 36 backs. I've got them tight enough to get rid of the horizontal wrinkles in the cup. But they are definitely taking some weight - more so than in the 36Cs which did nothing more than cover my breasts!

I think I need to be in the market for more - this just isn't comfortable (even if my silhouette is improved). Oh well - one for experience.

needasilverlining Tue 20-Aug-13 18:32:46

God, she must be about a ZZ under the new measurements!

BTW what do we think of Gossard as a brand? Found some which would be bargainous IF they were good...

statisticallychallenged bought a balconette style 32c as suggested. My God my boobs look amazing! Fits so nicely. How have I been wearing such big bras until now? blush

It does make a huge difference doesn't it? My own bras aren't quite perfect at the moment (lost a little weight but trying to lose more!) and I can really see the difference

Shame I'm single. I actually have a cleavage now!

needasilverlining Tue 20-Aug-13 21:14:05

I don't know if it's been mentioned elsewhere, but House of Fraser's clearance section has some lovely bras in 'awkward' sizes, much reduced - IF you've got the patience to search as they don't let you do it by size.

StuntNun Wed 21-Aug-13 09:32:54

I'm disappointed with Bravissimo, after hearing so much about them I took advantage of being over in Manchester to go in. I went in measuring a 30GG and they fitted me with a 30HH saying the nursing bras fit a bit on the small side. Sounds reasonable but three days later I have a rash on my back where the damn things have been riding up. A waste of £88 as I've had to go back to my definitely-don't-fit 32GG bras to relieve the discomfort. And I'm heading to Northern Ireland today so I can't even go back to Bravissimo to complain.

SorrelForbes Wed 21-Aug-13 10:47:23

I would ring their customer services who are very helpful and will recommend some solutions for you.

DorisIsWaiting Wed 21-Aug-13 12:01:16

Don't know if anyone interested but M and S are holding a webchat lunchtime today about their lingerie range....

Just saying wink

SorrelForbes Wed 21-Aug-13 12:50:20

Might swing by... wink

SirRaymondClench Wed 21-Aug-13 14:04:32

Ok I am 28 underboobs and 39" over.

SorrelForbes Wed 21-Aug-13 14:07:28

SirRaymondClench Try a 28H. Make sure you follow the guide to ensure you get the bands right first.

28H is what those measurements are saying but try sizes around to be sure.

SorrelForbes Wed 21-Aug-13 14:08:09

Afternoon RB wink

Hey SF.

stacysmom Wed 21-Aug-13 16:42:40

Hey ladies. I have been the subject of an intervention before but I fear a week in France has rather done me in and everything's a bit tight blush. I am now measuring 31" under and 39" over - am I right in thinking I should start with a 32FF?

SorrelForbes Wed 21-Aug-13 16:44:19

I'd try a 30G/FF and a 32FF/F.

I think that a lot of 32 bands will be too loose on you to give the support you need. Make sure you follow the [[ http://thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.co.uk/p/fitting-advice.html guide]]to ensure you get the bands right first.

SorrelForbes Wed 21-Aug-13 16:44:41

Bugger. guide

stacysmom Wed 21-Aug-13 16:50:42

Thanks Sorrel, I am already a follower of the BBC, loving your/their work. I am pretty limited to online shopping so I feel a mammoth order coming on followed by a trip to the post office for returns.

SorrelForbes Wed 21-Aug-13 16:56:16

There's nothing better than getting a huge parcel of bras to try on grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now