So, I'm tweeting about bras with M&S. Who wants to tell me which stores have given incorrect measurements?

(434 Posts)
WeAreSix Thu 18-Jul-13 14:31:32

They have asked which store fitted incorrectly. Apparently they've invested a lot into their Bra fitting and would like to know which stores have incorrectly measured / fitted.

Shall we give them a list?!

sleepywombat Sat 27-Jul-13 07:02:50

Its not just M&S though is it? - It is almost every department (& most lingerie) store all over the world.

Have lived in France and now in Aus, been measured 34 A (& once 36AA) or equivalent everywhere. According to the site linked on here, I should be in a 30 D. Cannot find any bras in that size in any shops here.

Perhaps some sort of international bra measuring movement needs to be established?!

I think a 30D is an 8D in Australian sizes.

And yes, it is almost every store - although some are getting it. In general John Lewis seem to do it right (not to Bravissimo standards but much closer!), Debenhams is variable but seems to have retrained at least some of their staff. Same for House of Fraser. Of course the problem is, if you don't know what you are looking for then you don't know if you have a new or old style fitter. I think someone said that Selfridges are doing it correctly too although I couldn't swear to it.

mirai Sat 27-Jul-13 20:20:22

Seriously MN needs to start a campaign about this.

I did wonder whether someone with the enthusiasm and forthright approach of Gok Wan would champion somehing like this.

I could just imagine him running round M&S with SorrelForbes staging interventions at the doors of the fitting rooms.

First of all they would of course have to demonstrate live on TV by measuring her bangers leaning over!

<then I saw that the bras which carry his name use the old +4 measuring guide...>

We did try GokWan...no joy...probably because of the aforementioned +4 nonsense

JacqueslePeacock Sat 27-Jul-13 20:51:51

Didn't M&S have a campaign on badly fitted bras a couple of years ago though? (The irony!) I seem to remember some posters with statistics about how many women are wearing the wrong size bra ( probably because they'd been fitted at M&S).

Melty Sat 27-Jul-13 20:53:09

Trinny and Susannah?
They were quite big about getting women into decent bras...

WeAreSix Sat 27-Jul-13 21:16:08

Still no twitter reply. I'll try again Monday...

Sounds like you've joined me and Sorrel on their "crazy bra ladies" list

SorrelForbes Sat 27-Jul-13 22:20:55

Is it wrong that I'm a little bit proud that M&S now ignore me grin

sleepywombat Sun 28-Jul-13 05:28:51

Yes, can only find 10Ds in Australia & even that pretty rare (very few styles), will be doing online shopping!

Incidentally, GokWan is fronting the new Target (our M&S equivalent) campaign & is on ads at the mo saying 'fitter in every store', 'you have no excuse not to get the right bra size'. Bras in Target start at size 10 (32).

Sophiathesnowfairy Sun 28-Jul-13 06:57:51

Just to add my two pen etch, I couldn't resist as I have whined about this for years. marks and Spencer in Solihull would have me in a 36B I am a 34 D. I couldn't believe the diff when I discovered it!

FoxPass Sun 28-Jul-13 21:57:39

yy to a mumsnet campaign!

I am wearing a 30dd after years of badly fitting 34b (thanks M&S!) I cannot believe the difference a properly fitting bra has made to my boobs. they look lovely and I feel so comfortable!

so thank you ladies thanks now I just need to get my mum away from M&S and her supposed 36 back size!

VillaVillekulla Mon 29-Jul-13 10:37:24

Sleepywombat Elle Macpherson does some styles in 8D. You could also try 10C as I think some Aussie brands (like Elle MacPherson) come up smaller in the back than UK brands. Have you looked at Zodee - It's an Australian size and starts at size 6 (28") back.

sleepywombat Tue 30-Jul-13 01:13:17

Great, thanks VillaVillekulla, will check them out!

My Panache bra has an Australian size label in it (8E / 30E).

justabigdisco Mon 05-Aug-13 07:57:53

Just to rejuvenate this thread - another thing that really gets me about M&S bra fitting. You can't get any 'advice' without a sodding pre-booked appointment! Any request for a quick check of fit is met with a snotty 'sorry we're too busy, you should have made an appointment'. This happens every time, not just a one off. I can't always plan when I need a bra checking when I'm shopping with my 1yo!
Anyway since I realised they don't even stock the 30F that I actually am (measured at JL, bravissimo and HoF), I'm quite happy to say I'll never shop for a bra at M&S again.

Fairylea Mon 05-Aug-13 08:06:23

Norwich and croydon. Both fitted me as a 34D.

I'm a 30g.

Not me but a friend got measured in m and s Bristol. I don't know sizing but to make the bra 'fit' they told her to pull it right down so the cup was smooth on her boobs but the underwire was then about an inch below her boobs on her rib cage. Apparently this was ok as the cup 'fitted' but I can't see how it was supporting her boobs at all if it wasn't even touching them!

WeAreSix Mon 05-Aug-13 20:43:25

I'm going to share the link on twitter for M&S. Again.

littlecrick Mon 05-Aug-13 21:43:08

I have lived all over the UK and have never received a decent fitting in a Marks & Spencers shop. I've been measured as everything from a 34D to a 38C and my weight has remained the same for years.

Hopasholic Mon 05-Aug-13 23:24:19

I had a fitting recently, 36D at M&S. Not one of the 15 bras produced fitted. The assistant wouldn't budge on the measurement even though it was clear tht they just didn't fit.

I did it as a bit of an experiment as Sorrel had me down as a 30E

Went to John Lewis who confirmed 30E and I purchased 3 beautiful bras.

M&S are shite!

LynetteScavo Mon 05-Aug-13 23:31:32

Well, I bought 2 fantastic bras from M&S...and thought I'd buy a third, so ordered another bra in the same size, and merrily wore it for the day...only to discover it was nowhere as big, even though the label said it was the same size. confused

Tubemole1 Tue 06-Aug-13 00:19:49

London Marble Arch.
Said I was a 32B. I have a v wide back so knew it couldn't be true. I'm a size 20 ffs.
Anyhoo, popped down the road to Debenhams Oxford Street, met a lovely bra fitter there, she made me relax and said I was a 38 D. Then she went around the store picking up about 10 different styles in the correct size and advised me on the best ones for me. I will go back.

celticclan Tue 06-Aug-13 09:40:08

M&S had me measuring at 36C when I should have been about a 30e. I haven't shopped at M&S for years but I remember back in the 90s they rarely stocked bras smaller than a 34 and the 32s only went up to a C cup. M&S are only to measure you at 30F if they don't stock that size.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now