Non ironers - how bad do you look in the summer?

(115 Posts)
EliotNess Sat 13-Jul-13 08:05:08

I am a selective ironer - I fold straight out of the dryer etc but if anything is line dryed, unless its spun on 600 in the machine it needs ironing, I am thinkinf kids cotton Polo shirts, my t shirts and tops and cropped cotton trousers

Do you just look like a walking Per Una crinkle skirts?

Parmarella Tue 23-Jul-13 17:39:46

So .... Life is too short to iron,

But long enough to spend time writing about ironing on MN

I see.... [ grin]

DiaryOfAWimpyMum Tue 23-Jul-13 16:56:31

I iron everything except bed covers, I cannot go out crumpled my mother would kill me and has sent DS home due to being creased once

XiCi Tue 23-Jul-13 16:43:41

I don't see the point of spending a lot of money on lovely clothes just to look like a crumpled mess when you go out in them.

It literally takes 2 minutes to iron a dress before you put it on so don't understand all these life is too short comments

Keztrel Tue 23-Jul-13 15:08:17

I agree with that Bella, going by my sample study of two grin I'm creative and can't see the point in ironing, DH is a perfectionist and a pragmatist and is well into ironing.

bellablot Tue 23-Jul-13 15:04:18

Only the perfectionist pragmatist will iron.

The creatives amongst us won't feel the need.

I fit somewhere in the middle. smile

MrsHoarder Tue 23-Jul-13 14:34:37

poshfrock you have too many teatowels. I've never needed more than I can easily fit in a drawer, even after a large lunch with multiple people roped into drying up.

Keztrel Tue 23-Jul-13 14:20:11

I only iron if it's absolutely essential to the garment, so pretty much never. I look very nice, thanks.

DH likes ironing and says once we have a utility room he's going to keep the ironing board up all the time and iron everything!

poshfrock England Tue 23-Jul-13 14:10:53

Pobble you can fit more teatowels in a drawer if they have been ironed.

Oh and I fold all my towels like Anthea Turner.

poshfrock England Tue 23-Jul-13 14:09:33

I love ironing. I find it very satisfying to have lovely piles of neatly folded, creasefree clothes, sheets and TEATOWELS. And it means I get two hours to myself on a Sunday afternoon to watch whatever I like on the telly and everyone knows that I can't be disturbed because I AM IRONING.
I iron everything except DP's work uniform, towels and undies ( although sometimes I do boxers if there's still 10 minutes of film left to watch and I've run out of other stuff to iron).

dexter73 Tue 23-Jul-13 13:49:49

I don't over stuff my washing machine. As you say the creases are not bad but they are still creases and look much better if ironed.

WhiteDogBlackSpots Tue 23-Jul-13 13:39:51

I reckon those of you that say you need to iron, stuff your washing machines over full of stuff, making the creases bad after the spin cycle. If you don't over fill, the creases are not bad and when dry you really don't need to iron.
I do have an 8kg washer though so can afford to not have to lie on my back on the kitchen floor, using foot to close the washer door grin

Pobblewhohasnotoes Thu 18-Jul-13 12:35:22

I iron stuff that absolutely has to be ironed. That's it. I have better things to do than iron, anything. Anything at all.

Iron bed linen? I know someone who irons tea towels. Why?

LimitedEditionLady Thu 18-Jul-13 12:20:57

Whispers....i iron everything....i cant wear unironed clothes.

TeWiSavesTheDay Sun 14-Jul-13 09:20:15

Our tumbler must be crap because anything that goes in there needs ironing. Off the line they aren't so bad.

I am a selective ironer as well though, some things do just always need it.

I iron about 2% of the time but only to justify watching Millionaire Matchmaker

DH irons 98% of the time to justify watching Top Gear

The only things that don't get ironed are underwear, towels and tea towels

SoTiredAgain Sun 14-Jul-13 08:52:56

I don't have a dryer and I don't use fabric conditioner so cotton clothes are a bit stiff and cardboardy so ironing them to make them soft. But I don't iron my DP's clothes and only iron DS's t shirt (he only wears one grin). And I tend to use the iron and go approach rather than having a mountain of ironing to get through.

MrsCampbellBlack Sun 14-Jul-13 07:37:07

I iron - how else can I justfiy watching Real housewives wink blush

But also, I spend quite a bit of £££ on clothes and therefore want them to look nice.

I also iron all of DH's stuff too but then I am a SAHM

maja00 Sun 14-Jul-13 06:53:31

I cannot be bothered to iron.

If you shake things out and hang them properly on the line they dry without creases.

lotsofcheese Sun 14-Jul-13 06:42:32

I iron once in a blue moon. DP does his own work shirts & the rest of us look fine without.

I find the best thing for cotton items is to fold & make a pile straight from line-drying. Then the weight of the piled clothes smooths out wrinkles.

And body heat sorts out wrinkles too when you're wearing the item.

I may add that my house is immaculate & I have a cleaner. So I'm not a domestic slattern by any standards! Just that ironing is as dull as fuck!!!

snoworneahva Sun 14-Jul-13 06:23:14

I admit to not liking the "ironed" look....it always seemed to accompany someone who looks a bit too pristine and over polished - like their mum has dressed them. Otherwise I don't notice the iron/non iron thing. I don't iron my clothes, never have done, I've washed things again rather than iron them.
A bit disturbed though - I have a crinkle skirt from Mint Velvet, I bought it this year and I love it but am I now sliding into per una territory - I don't shop there so have no idea. confused

isitsnowingyet Sun 14-Jul-13 05:57:12

Ironing was useful for Hama beads, vaire true.

No one has mentioned the damage to the planet by using all that extra electricity just so your sheets are smooth!

I'd use one very occasionally for shirts/blouses (if they need it) but certainly don't feel pressured to do a big pile of ironing every week. And I've reached an age where I don't care too!

Hoorah grin

ravenAK Sun 14-Jul-13 05:35:34

I assume that anyone in my family under 8 probably doesn't care whether their clothes are ironed or not, & anyone over 8 is welcome to make use of the iron.

So far, the iron which dh bought for d1's Hama beads has yet to make contact with an item of clothing.

I do sort of get that some clothes look better ironed, so I'm careful not to buy those sort of clothes. As for ironing lovely crumpled billowy bedding & scorching all the fresh air smell out of it - well, each to their own.

Onetwo34 Sun 14-Jul-13 05:03:37

I brush my hair probably once every six months. So ironing is less important to me than brushing my hair, since the last time I did that was possibly for a badge at Brownies.

ShatnersBassoon Sat 13-Jul-13 22:32:27

Ironing is as important as brushing my hair. It's not essential, but I'd feel scruffy and conspicuous if I didn't bother doing either. I like my clothes to look fresh, and being crease-free definitely helps.

PessimisticMissPiggy Sat 13-Jul-13 22:23:24

I iron almost everything. Everything.

I clearly have no life.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now