Non ironers - how bad do you look in the summer?

(115 Posts)
EliotNess Sat 13-Jul-13 08:05:08

I am a selective ironer - I fold straight out of the dryer etc but if anything is line dryed, unless its spun on 600 in the machine it needs ironing, I am thinkinf kids cotton Polo shirts, my t shirts and tops and cropped cotton trousers

Do you just look like a walking Per Una crinkle skirts?

noddyholder Sat 13-Jul-13 10:30:46

British people always stand out on holiday with their new and ironed clothes think thats why I hate it!

dirtyface Sat 13-Jul-13 10:35:08

i don't even OWN an iron

i nearly always line dry and shake everything out really thoroughly before hanging out and its crease free once its dried

Beckamaw Sat 13-Jul-13 10:39:05

I tumble dry where possible. Anything else dries on a hanger.
I do love my naice cotton bed linen, but I resent the time it takes to bloody iron it. It's the only time I spend any time ironing!

mrspaddy Sat 13-Jul-13 10:45:00

I have to iron.. I am getting better though.. I don't iron the duvets anymore and get DH to do his own work stuff that is hard to iron.

missbopeep Sat 13-Jul-13 10:50:09

How can you not own an iron shock What about shirts, pillow slips, duvet covers ( mine are all 100% cotton) T shirts, trousers, skirts, knitwear?

I avoid tumble drying whenever possible because it's so expensive and I don't think it does clothes much good- look at all the fluff in the filter! And it's not terribly eco friendly. I line dry whenever possible but clothes still need ironing.

I draw the line at knickers, socks, underpants, towels, tea towels and dusters- unlike my mum and her friends.

I just don't buy clothes that will need ironing grin

daimbardiva Sat 13-Jul-13 10:57:09

Sometimes I think I'd like to iron, esp bedclothes but I honestly don't know where I'd fit it in. It never gets to the top of the list of 'would like to's'

Cravingdairy Sat 13-Jul-13 10:57:44

Ironing is a waste of electricity IMO unless you have to wear shirts for work etc.

MrsHoarder Sat 13-Jul-13 11:07:41

Why do you iron bedding? No one outside the family sees it, most the creases get stretched out when its put on and more creases appear after you first sleep on it.

Work clothes and linen yes, but not bedding!

littlemisswise Sat 13-Jul-13 11:09:23

I'm with you Missbopeep, although I do tumble dry. DS1 went on a lads holiday last week, he used the iron in the room if his clothes were too creased after being in the suitcase! His friends thought he was mad until they saw how much better his clothes looked and they did the same!

littlemisswise Sat 13-Jul-13 11:10:01

I iron bedding because it makes the bed look nicer, IMO.

I slip into a zen state when I iron.

To save electricity I got rid of my TV instead. ;)

TheBuskersDog Sat 13-Jul-13 12:18:40

littlemisswise
How much time do you spend looking at your bed?

BrianButterfield Sat 13-Jul-13 12:31:56

I iron everything, bedding looks and feels so much nicer. My friend's DD has the most darling little dresses and they're never ironed so all the frills looks crumpled and sad. I would never comment but I'd love to get my hands on them and restore them to their true glory! Ironing is hard to fit in but I think it's worth it to me.

slightlysoupstained Sat 13-Jul-13 12:35:15

There's definitely a bit of a knack to hanging stuff out so it doesn't dry crumpled. You kind of have to give it a quick flick as someone said earlier, then peg it up properly. I didn't really notice it until a friend hung out a wash as a favour and it was almost bad enough to be worth washing again - she managed to make everything come out incredibly crumpled and it didn't even dry properly as she mashes it all up together to fit everything on to the line.

I have never ironed bedding in my life and never will. 100% cotton here too, but it comes off the line flat and looks absolutely fine. I probably spend 15 mins a week ironing and that is quite enough. Any more is a waste of time and electricity as far as I am concerned.

valiumredhead Sat 13-Jul-13 12:50:55

I hang tops up on hangers on the line and don't spin to hard in the machine.

QuiteOldGal Sat 13-Jul-13 13:59:59

I give stuff a very quick burst in the dryer to knock out creases before hanging out. It gets rid of most of them

noddyholder Sat 13-Jul-13 14:10:05

I agree its all in the shake and flick. I know people who don't iron who look a bit crumpled I am not one of them. Who has time to iron bedlinen crumply crunchy cotton ane linen is so nice why make it look like polyester

missbopeep Sat 13-Jul-13 14:10:41

Why do I iron bedding

errrr.... for the same reason as most people iron anything! Because it looks and feels nicer. This is not some kind of stealth boast, but I can't see the point in buying lovely Egyptian cotton bedding and sleeping in a crumpled mess. I like the look of a nice bed and the sheets and duvet cover feel a lot softer after they've been ironed.

I used to forgo ironing bedding when DCs were small and my time was more limited. Now, I fold the sheets into quarters and give a quick blast with the steam iron. If I am REALLY pushed for time then occasionally I won't iron sheets or the duvet cover but I don't like how it looks.

DCs have left home so there is only one lot of bedding, but if they do come back for a few days their bedding gets the ironing treatment too.

LadyMilfordHaven Sat 13-Jul-13 14:10:48

i have to iron some things. tops off the line - t shirts etc and i am a discerning spin speed setter wink

noddyholder Sat 13-Jul-13 14:16:17

lovely ironing stuff people don't see is so hyacinth bucket wink

missbopeep Sat 13-Jul-13 14:32:18

But I see it and I'm worth it. I don't give a bugger about other people, it's my bedroom and it's decorated, furnished, etc for me.

noddyholder Sat 13-Jul-13 14:38:04

worth what?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now