Stubborn grey hair resistant even to permanent colour

(14 Posts)
brunette123 Sat 13-Jul-13 11:28:14

My hairdresser has a salon but just comes to my house which is cheaper and easier for me so she does use a salon quality one from the wholesalers though not sure which - she mixes 6 and 7 to make 6.5 - I think I am brunette but on the hairdresser's hair chart, I am a dark blonde.
Still quite worried/upset.
x

needasilverlining Sat 13-Jul-13 09:33:07

I started going grey at 18 so feel your pain. Thanks for recommendations - do you find either come up really dark? I want lightish brown result so currently using John Frieda Dark Golden Blonde (whywhywhy are shades so much darker than box claims? Why?).

Fairylea Sat 13-Jul-13 09:28:44

I am only 32 but I have had grey hair since I was 15 (lovely!) ... I have found the best colour to be loreal excellence in the dark brown (literally the one before black). Of course this depends on your colouring!

Garnier nutrisse is also quite good. Clairol nice and easy just washes off in no time at all.

Salon colours have been no better than the loreal one for me. I just tend to accept I have to colour my hair about once a month and I use a lot of conditioner!

needasilverlining Sat 13-Jul-13 09:22:56

Can anyone recommend a salon quality brand?

needasilverlining Sat 13-Jul-13 09:17:43

Mine does this too. Two weeks after using any permanent colour I have pure white hair on my temples, even though it's the first bit I do. May try the salon quality colour next.

And yes, I have horrible thick coarse hair which is enough for two people.

NeedSomeSun142 Fri 12-Jul-13 23:16:05

Henna can react with other chemical processes including colour so if you do use it and decide to change back to permanent colour, please do a compatibility test before eg cut a few strands of hair that's had henna on and put some of the permanent colour on it, leave for the normal time you would leave a colour on and see if hair feels fine, elasticity ok and no fizzing!

hangsbyathread Fri 12-Jul-13 22:41:27

Hi all.

I am in the final weeks of completing a hairdressing course at college.

I have been taught that the best way to cover grey hair using a salon quality colour (either quasi or permanent) is by mixing with a 6% strength peroxide. I have used this on clients and seen good results. Perhaps something you could suggest to your hairdresser in the future?

You can get box colours specifically aimed at covering grey hair. Check out different brands and see what works for you.

Brunette - You asked your hairdresser to cover your grey hairs. If she was unable to do that she should have forewarned you. Personally i would expect another treatment, for free, to achieve the look you wanted. Unless she stated it may be hit or miss...

Hope this helps.

poppingin1 Fri 12-Jul-13 22:38:21

Henna

Pompbear Fri 12-Jul-13 22:27:50

I colour mine at home. V v grey since 15, Iv course hair, i use nice and easy and leave it on A LOT longer than it says on the box. Works for me (think 3x as long!)

brunette123 Fri 12-Jul-13 17:59:42

Mine is totally straight and would not say it was coarse - hairdresser - a mobile one - said that it is just one of those things that happens with some people's hairsad - I don't have grey roots just a few random grey hairs but sufficient for me to want them coloured

NeedSomeSun142 Fri 12-Jul-13 17:54:58

can you go back to the hairdressers and tell them, almost all professional colour ranges have a special type of colour for covering grey. although if you had visible grey roots I'm sure they would of used it anyway

MadCap Fri 12-Jul-13 17:54:37

coarse

MadCap Fri 12-Jul-13 17:54:20

Watching with interest. This happens to me too. Are yours also very course?

brunette123 Fri 12-Jul-13 17:48:04

hi does anyone else have this problem? Am mid 40s and not got many but enough that a few show up around fringe and temples. Hairdresser initially used a semi for first few times just on top couple of inches of hair and quite a bit of the grey did not take it so she has used a permanent 10 days ago and within a week I could see grey again - not regrowth but whole hairs on fringe that just hadn't taken dye. Worried as when I get more grey hairs then if they don't take I will have a bigger problem - anyone else?
thanks

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now