Oh no. Another Summer Ball to go to... Another Theme (thought up by largely male committee who just have to wear uniform).... Chinese theme?

(24 Posts)
tethersend Wed 10-Jul-13 15:36:48

How about a mandarin collar top and a long skirt?

SuperiorCat Wed 10-Jul-13 11:36:35
SoupDragon Wed 10-Jul-13 10:00:44

hire a panda costume?

Put your hair up and put some chop sticks through it!

AuntieStella Wed 10-Jul-13 09:11:56

This was a good theme in the days when there were postings to Hong Kong! (Perhaps the organisers haven't yet caught up that it was handed over 16 years ago grin )

Do you live near a China Town? If so, having a look there will be worth it. I was thinking about a plain column type dress (that you'd be able to wear again) with one of the embroidered jackets. If they are all too small in the bust, then one of the lovely (and surprisingly cheap) big embroidered silk scarves, plus a painted fan and Chinese slippers.

Otherwise, try an upmarket lingerie shop/department to see if there's anything that could be passed off as a glam version of a Mao suit?

HotSoupDumpling Wed 10-Jul-13 09:11:11

(Sorry...'not' should be underlined...too early in the morning for me)

HotSoupDumpling Wed 10-Jul-13 09:02:00

bab, skinhead, wahahah! Yes.

I would definitely go for an oriental print.

I would not go for a cheongsam neckline or chopsticks in the hair. Even I would not resort to such stereotyping...and I'm Chinese!

Skinheadmermaid Wed 10-Jul-13 08:49:26

Or this gorgeous oriental t-shirt with cropped satin trousers or a leather skirt.

Skinheadmermaid Wed 10-Jul-13 08:44:22
Skinheadmermaid Wed 10-Jul-13 08:42:21

Why don't you dress like ip man and go as a kung fu artist?
Or a buddist nun...shaved head optional?

Chicinwellies Tue 09-Jul-13 21:40:39

Hahaha great suggestions, love the idea re shawl but yes, greek widow come tipsy cheongsam is Not going to be my finest hour especially as there will be a fair few Lucy Lius wandering about. Ho Hum...

BabCNesbitt Tue 09-Jul-13 21:29:11

Or just wear some vairy fancy designer stuff and say you've come as a modern Chinese person, rather than a stereotype?

Is it just me who looks like a Greek widow if I try to wear a shawl? smile

Could you avoid the cheongsam stereotype and go for something a bit more subtle like wearing cloisonné jewellery or using hair sticks in an elegant chignon? Maybe a Chinese style silk shawl over a plain coloured long dress. Like this over a black dress.

Chicinwellies Tue 09-Jul-13 21:19:22

Ooh, quickly goes off to ebay search orchid dress - could be the one. Theme obliging but not reputation crushing..... thanks RLBG

Chicinwellies Tue 09-Jul-13 21:10:42

Good god, Susie Wong. Love the Phase Eight dress, forgot to mention as military shenanigan needs to be full length too - they don't ask for much.

MrsLettuce Tue 09-Jul-13 21:10:37

bot?

Crumbledwalnuts Tue 09-Jul-13 21:04:38

It might not be all that bad

on the other hand a Chinese theme sounds a bit Susie Wong to me with overtones of 19th C imperialism. Stereotypes at the ready.

Send an oh dear I am washing my hair that night card?

Chicinwellies Tue 09-Jul-13 20:56:40

I need somehow to be able to pull off the chinese theme, whilst being blonde, athletic and shall we say of a larger bust than the average asian lady. What on earth am I going to wear that will allow me to vaguely look respectable and half as elegant as anyone else lol.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now