to those of you who's thighs don't rub together ...

(242 Posts)
2much2young Mon 08-Jul-13 09:47:42

... please tell me what size you are and what your thigh circumference is (at it's biggest part).

I am a size 14 but still my thighs rub together and in this heat it's a total pain (literally). How much further do I need to slim down to stop this?! Always been chunky of thigh but surely it's not impossible for me? Currently at 26cm blush each! what should I be aiming for? 25? 24? 22? 21?

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 08-Jul-13 10:03:58

I thought you look better if there isn't a gap as well? Or am I missing something. I agree it's a body shape thing. I've got wide hips and a very obvious pear shape.

I'm size 8/10 in topshop skinnies, and BMI of 20. Not sure what my thighs measurements are.

mignonette Mon 08-Jul-13 10:04:24

It has nothing to do with weight, more as other posters have said, your pelvis shape.

Try rubbing oil on the leg to reduce friction and maybe buying boy shorts with a lower leg length if that doesn't help.

GrimmaTheNome Mon 08-Jul-13 10:06:11

>I expect muscle tone will make a difference too?

yes. I've no idea what my thigh measurement is, but they're fairly thunderous and a lot of shorts are too narrow. And even ones which apparently fit tend to do that nasty thing where they ride up between the legs as the thighs rub.

But... this weekend I was in shorts both days, and they didn't ride up! I might have lost a couple of pounds but the main difference is I've been doing the 30 day shred - it really works the thighs. I'm not even half way through it but it seems to be making a real difference!

OneLittleToddleTerror Mon 08-Jul-13 10:06:24

Actually I'm definitely a 10 in topshop skinnies now. At my lowest I was a size 8 and I bet my BMI was about 19 then. Not a good look at all! (Not sure if it's because of the lack of sleep post baby or because I was too skinny though)!

lljkk Mon 08-Jul-13 10:07:52

Mine touch a bit and always have unless I was like a stone thinner which means bony rib cage & no tits on me... I'm a size 8-10 in trousers (almost 5'8" tall). Thighs at fattest are 56.5 cm (22.2").
I wear lycra shorts under skirts, btw, don't like thighs rubbing!

I'm size 10 and they're 22inches. They rub.

Honsandrevels Mon 08-Jul-13 10:08:31

Just measured mine with a b&q metal tape measure. They're 19 inches. I was about 2 stone heavier as a teenager and I remember they were 24 inches and did rub together.

herethereandeverywhere Mon 08-Jul-13 10:09:16

I'm a 12 on my bottom half, 10 on top. Heaviest I've ever been ATM (except post-preg) at 9st 4oz but I'm only 5'3".

I have REALLY fat saddlebaggy thighs. 23" circ. per thigh (my waist is only 26") BUT although they touch (and always have, even when I was 1.5st lighter) they don't chaff or hurt. Maybe it's because I don't sweat much?

ouryve Mon 08-Jul-13 10:09:23

I even had thigh rub when I was 7 stone and size 10 (1980s size 10). Some of us are just that shape!

GrimmaTheNome Mon 08-Jul-13 10:09:56

I've just measured - 25". I'm 5'1" but quite wide-hipped, size 10-12 but can't wear anything tight legged....yet!

VanitasVanitatum Mon 08-Jul-13 10:15:06

Size 8 and 20 inches. There is a gap between them at the top but I think it looks a bit weird tbh.

Trills Mon 08-Jul-13 10:15:36

My thighs do meet in the middle but I don't feel as if they rub together or chafe or do anything unpleasant - they feel as if they were meant to be like this.

2much2young Mon 08-Jul-13 10:16:20

interesting! I didn't really think about pelvis/hip width/body shape before. I have fairly wide hips and do have a big chunk of fat that I can grab so I think mine is more to do with being still a little bit overweight and flabby. I was slimmer in my youth (2 stone lighter) and although I still had "big" thighs in proportion to my body I don't remember having the thigh rubbage in summer problem (no issues in winter!) but of course back then I never measured my thighs and I was also a lot lot fitter. I can't see me ever losing as much as 2 stone now at my age (mid 40s)

<trots off to look for boy shorts>

GertrudeMorel Mon 08-Jul-13 10:21:16

21 inches. They don't rub.

5' 8

ShowOfHands Mon 08-Jul-13 10:25:07

I'm a size 8, about 8 stones 3lbs and am 5ft 3 or 5ft 4 depending on who is measuring. Widest part of my thigh measures 17". I have a good 2 inch gap.

Whoknowswhocares Mon 08-Jul-13 10:25:23

Size 8/10. 22 inches. I've been bigger and smaller and they always have and always will rub as my hips are quite narrow
It has nothing to do with body fat or weight, just body shape.

VodIsGod Mon 08-Jul-13 10:25:35

I've slimmed down recently and I'm a 10/12 now but still my thighs rub together. I spray deodorant on them and that seems to stop it. I use the Femfresh deodorant because of where my thighs rub - didn't want to be spraying in my fanjo area with regular deodorant grin

badguider Mon 08-Jul-13 10:26:04

Mine rubbed a little bit in very hot weather when I was a small size 10. Sorry that's not the news you wanted to hear sad

My legs are relatively short and back then you could see the shapes of the different muscles so it wasn't fat - and my hips are not that wide.

I am now a pregnant 12-14 and they rub all the time so the weight has definitely made it worse, but as I said at a small size 10 (prob. really 8-10) they would still rub by the end of a day's sightseeing in a hot country in a dress.

Chivetalking Mon 08-Jul-13 10:29:15

5' 7" and thighs are just under 20in.

No rubbing.

Shodan Mon 08-Jul-13 10:29:41

Mine have always rubbed, no matter what weight I am. Currently they're 23.5 inches, size 12-14.

I have saddlebag (or what I used to call jodhpur) thighs though. I use roll-on deodorant to stop the chafing.

ScrambledSmegs Mon 08-Jul-13 10:33:37

Size 10, 22.5 inches at widest part. Wide hips. They don't rub usually although have a little this year as I'm a bit bigger than normal (had DC2 recently, been eating too much and haven't been exercising enough).

Maybe I just have a very ungainly walk?!

Branleuse Mon 08-Jul-13 10:33:54

im a size 14 atm and my thighs are 24in circ. They don't rub together, but i have quite a childbearing pelvis on me

2much2young Mon 08-Jul-13 10:37:17

thanks for the tip about roll-on deodrant, why didn't I think of that?

from the few of you here who have given your height my not very scientific poll concludes that for my height 22 inches or less seems to be a chaff free zone, as I said I do have wide hips and have had thighs that glide rather than rub and stick before so I will aim for that.

TweenageAngst Mon 08-Jul-13 10:37:48

My thighs have never rubbed together, even when I weighed 12 stone. It is body shape.

eurozammo Mon 08-Jul-13 10:41:01

My thighs have always rubbed. I'm 5'6 and a size 10. However, I am narrow hipped and my legs are quite short for my height (I'm all body) so there is quite a lot of muscle (and a bit of chub of course) packed into a fairly small space.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now