Please convince me to buy an epilator

(11 Posts)
Lottapianos Sun 07-Jul-13 21:26:27

I have heard lots of rave reviews about epilators on here and I'm really quite keen to buy one.

Reasons to buy one:
Save money on waxing
Use at home
Use whenever I want, no need to wait for a month between wax appointments
Lighter regrowth over time

Reasons why I'm scared:
PAIN!!!!

I used one years ago and it just about killed me. However, I've been waxing for about 2 years now, the hair on my legs is much finer and regrowth much lighter than it used to be. So maybe the pain factor wouldn't be so bad??? I'm quite a wimp though and still find waxing moderately painful after all this time.

Honest opinions please - thanks smile

Marrow Sun 07-Jul-13 21:34:29

I use my epilator everywhere and don't find it painful. If you have been waxing you have probably desensitised now so wouldn't find epilating as painful. You can get ones that you can use in the bath/shower so you might find those easier to use.

shopafrolic Sun 07-Jul-13 21:53:46

I was scared too but bought this one and it doesn't hurt. Mind you, I only use it on my legs......

poorbuthappy Sun 07-Jul-13 21:55:48

They are totally different to how they used to be.
My mum bought me 1 when I was 18, and it was sent back cos it was soooo painful.
Now I'm 38 and have another 1 and its fine. Or perhaps my perception of pain has altered after a few kids and other things....

Lottapianos Sun 07-Jul-13 22:23:43

This all sounds hopeful! Do you find that you stay hair free for as long as you would with waxing? Do you have to wait until the hair is quite long or does it work on short regrowth?

VanitasVanitatum Sun 07-Jul-13 22:27:17

Oh my god it hurts like the fire of a thousand suns. But then I am a huuuge baby about hair removal. I have the braun epil 7 and I have to be drunk to do it. Reeeally drunk. Probably not a safe thing to try...

ZadokTheBeast Sun 07-Jul-13 22:28:18

No, don't, it hurts like buggery and you end up with a zillion little ingrown hairs everywhere.
Mind you I'm lazy and leave it too long between sessions. If you use it often and make sure to exfoliate regularly you do get used to the pain.

Never, NEVER try to do your underarms.

pixiegumboot Sun 07-Jul-13 22:30:20

but what about ingrown hairs, or hairs that grow down under the skin?

Primrose123 Sun 07-Jul-13 22:42:06

I love my epilator. You don't have to wait for regrowth the way you do with waxing, you can remove very short hairs.

If you do it every few days the pain is very mild. The first time you do it is the worst, but don't be put off. Grit your teeth and do it. Within a few days, some, but not all of the hairs will start growing back. If you epilate again then, there will only be a few hairs and it's much less painful. It's easy if you can do it every few days, that way you keep on top of it.

I find it less painful on short hairs, so I'm careful to not let the hairs grow too much.

UnicornsPooGlitter Sun 07-Jul-13 22:47:31

God, I used to have one, and I used to do my underarms grin. So painful. Never again.

No no no all those little teef and mouthparts going ang ang ang.

Ouch.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now