I gave up eating sugar and my skin looks lovely

(38 Posts)
Romann Sun 07-Jul-13 11:06:16

Just that really. Thought I'd share. All glowy and no spots. I don't always bother with make-up anymore (I am 40).

I read this book, and basically do what he says. I was shock when I read it, I must say.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

KatyS36 Tue 09-Jul-13 15:55:15

Just ordered, baaaaa :-)

Looks fantastic, thanks for the recommendation.

Katy

Romann Tue 09-Jul-13 15:45:53

Though actually I'm less wrinkly. Not that the frown lines have gone, but I've got plumper younger-looking skin.

Romann Tue 09-Jul-13 15:24:38

stringbean I figure that just wrinkles is better than wrinkles with spots on them!

I agree that it's difficult with kids, but just not buying juice is a good start. I give mine porridge for breakfast (they do put sugar in, but only 1/2 teaspoon, or eggs anyway, and milk to drink. Dessert is fruit, and they snack on buttered wholemeal toast. I haven't banned Nutella but I take care to spread it thin!

I think low gi fruits are berries, apples and pears, apricots, and fresh figs.

moggle Tue 09-Jul-13 14:47:33

Thanks for recommending this book, after seeing this thread and needing a new book to read I bought it and started reading it on the way home. I'm a third of the way through and hooked! I'm a healthy weight, slim and exercise regularly at the moment but do have quite a sweet tooth. I also have adult / hormonal acne which has never really gone away properly since I was 12, so I'm hoping some changes in diet might help.

My DH is a bit podgy round the middle and I'm definitely reading a lot of stuff that rings bells with me about the way he is around food. Although he's not really got a sweet tooth, he'd rather eat a tin of sweetcorn or tuna if he comes home from work hungry than biscuits, so hopefully I don't have to worry too much about him! The stuff about how our fat cells are programmed from conception is really interesting. I can't wait to finish it.

StringBeanJean Tue 09-Jul-13 13:44:59

Romann - I was about to add that unfortunately cutting out sugar has not decreased my wrinkles either, for shame! Still, if I had a choice I would rather be a bit wrinkly than a lot spotty grin

I was buying some mayonnaise in Sainsbury's this morning and of all the many brands, including fancy ones, only ONE (small expensive jar of French stuff) had no added sugar. Why the hell would you need to put sugar in mayonnaise?!

I know I can cut down/out sugar from my own diet if I try, but I'm really keen to cut it down in the dc's diet too. Cutting out sweets is easy - they don't have them much anyway - but breakfast foods and the gallons of apple juice they drink are more tricky...

Moominsarehippos Tue 09-Jul-13 07:22:35

It is very interesting! My face has cleared recently as my sugar/caffeine tolerance has fallen. I'm getting a few teensy pimples on my upper arms though!

So using this diet, what are the 'good' treats?

cafecito Tue 09-Jul-13 00:54:48

cute koala!

here is a short video of him talking

I can vouch for the clear skin with no sugar (though I have fallen off the wagon the past year and a half and live on sugar and caffeine.. before then I had incredible skin)

it's very much a question of understanding the body's biochemical/endocrine pathways and I think from what I've read of his book (from the 'look inside' feature on amazon) he does this very well

Scarletohello Mon 08-Jul-13 23:12:24

Very interesting! I did Atkins a few years ago and I did notice a difference in my skin, glowing and plumped up. I did think though that it was due to all the fat I was eating... nuts, avocado, cream, butter, cheese etc ( yum...)smile

Moominsarehippos Mon 08-Jul-13 22:54:53

1) Because I realised I can
2) He is too cuute!

peggotty Mon 08-Jul-13 22:29:42

Moomins why is there a photo of a Koala in your last post?!

hollyisalovelyname Mon 08-Jul-13 22:24:48

What fruit is good?

MistyKnight Mon 08-Jul-13 22:17:43

I'd agree cutting out the sugar makes an amazing difference. The clearest skin of my adult life has been a surprising side effect of cutting out refined sugar due to gestational diabetes. I saw a difference in two weeks or so. I eat low GI fruits, whole grains etc but no juices, refined carbs or sugary things. Same sort of diet as for type 2 diabetes. I will be keeping it up after the birth just for the benefits to my skin!

hollyisalovelyname Mon 08-Jul-13 22:09:01

Thanks Romann for all the info. I am a disgrace where sugar is concerned hmm. Chocolate and sweets are my downfall and am soooo fed up with my lack of weight loss and will power. I comfort eat when I'm stressed and I'm stressed. I shall really try from now on.

Romann Mon 08-Jul-13 21:55:06

Moomins it is all sugar, including honey, brown sugar etc, but as holmes says, eating solid fruit is OK because of the fibre.

Very interesting stringbean it's not just me then! Thanks for posting. I had also been an adult acne sufferer - so depressing to have wrinkles and spots together! I'm really, really pleased about the recent change. I wasn't particularly expecting it, so it's been doubly delightful.

Early tbh I forgot the sciency bit about diet drinks. The book has a lot of detail about the body's hormonal response to what you eat and drink (leptin, insulin etc) and how your fat cells work. Very basically the fact that you think you are having fructose provokes a metabolic response that is as bad as if you were having it.

The bottom line is that you should basically give up all sugar and more or less all refined carbs, and you should exercise every day (even only 15 minutes) not because it will make you any thinner but because it's really good for you. It helps to get rid of the visceral fat in/around your organs, which is massively bad for you.

I don't really know about caffeine, I don't drink so much - maybe 1 or 2 coffees a day and 1 tea, but I often have red bush tea or herbal whatever instead of regular.

prettyanddainty Mon 08-Jul-13 16:11:26

I have just ordered it, can't wait to follow it now, I definitely need to cut back on sugar, or shall I say give up on it smile.

Moomins - fructose in fruit is fine if you eat the fruit, not drink it as smoothies or juice, because with the former you get a bit of fructose and a load of good fibre. With juice you get no fibre and tons of fructose. I want to know about honey too!
I just watched the whole lecture by the author on YouTube. It's very long and has some science bits I don't understand, but the message is clear and very alarming. I feel like going and chucking out half the food in my cupboards. ..

EarlyInTheMorning Mon 08-Jul-13 13:21:58

Thank you for the summary Romann, very helpful. I get that diet drinks are not good for you as they're full of chemicals, but I don't undersntand why they're also not good for you from the point of view of trying to cut down on sugar...

StringBeanJean Mon 08-Jul-13 13:19:38

This is so interesting, thanks Romann, I think I will buy the book you recommend as I have cut out sugar recently and would like to know more.

I have had bad skin since having dd a few years ago. Spotty around the chin and blotchy dull complexion. No cream or potion made any difference. In May I was in despair and decided to change my regime for six weeks to see what would happen. I have been using the derma flannel along with LRP effaclar and bravura 10% glycolic acid cream. I also stopped eating sugar - so no chocolate, cake, biscuits or yoghurt. I still eat white bread sometimes. The change has been amazing. My skin is glowy and spots gone. The scars from old spots are now fading and I'm almost at the point at which I would be confident to go out without foundation on. This is a miracle for me and my previously teenage skin. For anyone with bad skin I would definitely recommend the no sugar approach, tis amazing grin

Moominsarehippos Mon 08-Jul-13 12:59:14

All sugar... ALL? oh dear God! Does that include natural sugars - honey too? Fructose naturally in fruit?

EEK!

PicnicPie Mon 08-Jul-13 12:10:35

Very interesting op. I am always looking at ways of improving my health and am generally pretty healthy. Lots of fruit and veg and good dairy, milk, yoghurt etc.

I don't take sugar in my tea but I do have honey on bran flakes at breakfast. Is honey allowed?

No, I think it's all sugar, Moomins. White sugar may be worse, but they all seem to have the same addictive effect sad.

Moominsarehippos Mon 08-Jul-13 11:47:06

Is it just processed/white sugar though? You can make your own cakes and biscuits with brown/light brown stuff and fruit cakes are sweet. I do need my cheap n nasty chocolate fix. Much as I like Green & Blacks, you can't beat Galaxy Caramel!

At the moment, stress and the heat are my 2 enemies. I'm trying to cut our the sugars and caffeine as they are making me feel really really crappy when I have them. I'm falling to bits!

I love peanut butter and get the one in the plastic jar, blue lid and a monkey picture on it. I think its called 'the Peanut Butter Co' and has only nuts in it - no oil, no salt or sugar. Its revolting when you first open it as all the oils rise to the top and you have to stir it with a knife but it settles down! Sainsburyus used to sell it but I get it from our healthfood store now.

I'd love to give up sugar and have lovely skin. I tried paleo/primal for a little while but found it too hard. Just cutting the sugar sounds doable though. Especially if I can have wholemeal bread. I worry about how much sugar my kids eat. Cutting out the juice is the hard bit...

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now