I gave up eating sugar and my skin looks lovely

(38 Posts)
Romann Sun 07-Jul-13 11:06:16

Just that really. Thought I'd share. All glowy and no spots. I don't always bother with make-up anymore (I am 40).

I read this book, and basically do what he says. I was shock when I read it, I must say.

Anyone else had a similar experience?

hollyisalovelyname Mon 08-Jul-13 22:24:48

What fruit is good?

peggotty Mon 08-Jul-13 22:29:42

Moomins why is there a photo of a Koala in your last post?!

Moominsarehippos Mon 08-Jul-13 22:54:53

1) Because I realised I can
2) He is too cuute!

Scarletohello Mon 08-Jul-13 23:12:24

Very interesting! I did Atkins a few years ago and I did notice a difference in my skin, glowing and plumped up. I did think though that it was due to all the fat I was eating... nuts, avocado, cream, butter, cheese etc ( yum...)smile

cafecito Tue 09-Jul-13 00:54:48

cute koala!

here is a short video of him talking

I can vouch for the clear skin with no sugar (though I have fallen off the wagon the past year and a half and live on sugar and caffeine.. before then I had incredible skin)

it's very much a question of understanding the body's biochemical/endocrine pathways and I think from what I've read of his book (from the 'look inside' feature on amazon) he does this very well

Moominsarehippos Tue 09-Jul-13 07:22:35

It is very interesting! My face has cleared recently as my sugar/caffeine tolerance has fallen. I'm getting a few teensy pimples on my upper arms though!

So using this diet, what are the 'good' treats?

I know I can cut down/out sugar from my own diet if I try, but I'm really keen to cut it down in the dc's diet too. Cutting out sweets is easy - they don't have them much anyway - but breakfast foods and the gallons of apple juice they drink are more tricky...

I was buying some mayonnaise in Sainsbury's this morning and of all the many brands, including fancy ones, only ONE (small expensive jar of French stuff) had no added sugar. Why the hell would you need to put sugar in mayonnaise?!

StringBeanJean Tue 09-Jul-13 13:44:59

Romann - I was about to add that unfortunately cutting out sugar has not decreased my wrinkles either, for shame! Still, if I had a choice I would rather be a bit wrinkly than a lot spotty grin

moggle Tue 09-Jul-13 14:47:33

Thanks for recommending this book, after seeing this thread and needing a new book to read I bought it and started reading it on the way home. I'm a third of the way through and hooked! I'm a healthy weight, slim and exercise regularly at the moment but do have quite a sweet tooth. I also have adult / hormonal acne which has never really gone away properly since I was 12, so I'm hoping some changes in diet might help.

My DH is a bit podgy round the middle and I'm definitely reading a lot of stuff that rings bells with me about the way he is around food. Although he's not really got a sweet tooth, he'd rather eat a tin of sweetcorn or tuna if he comes home from work hungry than biscuits, so hopefully I don't have to worry too much about him! The stuff about how our fat cells are programmed from conception is really interesting. I can't wait to finish it.

Romann Tue 09-Jul-13 15:24:38

stringbean I figure that just wrinkles is better than wrinkles with spots on them!

I agree that it's difficult with kids, but just not buying juice is a good start. I give mine porridge for breakfast (they do put sugar in, but only 1/2 teaspoon, or eggs anyway, and milk to drink. Dessert is fruit, and they snack on buttered wholemeal toast. I haven't banned Nutella but I take care to spread it thin!

I think low gi fruits are berries, apples and pears, apricots, and fresh figs.

Romann Tue 09-Jul-13 15:45:53

Though actually I'm less wrinkly. Not that the frown lines have gone, but I've got plumper younger-looking skin.

KatyS36 Tue 09-Jul-13 15:55:15

Just ordered, baaaaa :-)

Looks fantastic, thanks for the recommendation.

Katy

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now