Good grief, white eyebrow hair. WTF am I supposed to do about that?

(17 Posts)
ITCouldBeWorse Sun 07-Jul-13 09:44:53

I've no idea what my natural hair colour is this days, I know there are some white ones which are ruthlessly tackled by my hairdresser on a standing appointment.

White hairs down south are easily remedied, but what to do?

I know it is possible to dye brows, but does that not look harsh and a bit unnatural? Also, being a ginge, are home kits always brown?

Sonotkylie Sun 07-Jul-13 10:28:03

How much? Can you not pluck it? I have some that mirror the white stripe in my hair (like some kind of faultline) but I can pluck them without leaving a hole. I do have very 'full' brows so I probably have brow comb over or some such.
Or can you use eyebrow pencil to darken the overall impression - a bit like lowlights for brows?

ITCouldBeWorse Sun 07-Jul-13 11:10:35

I did emergency pluck, but brows are def less full than they used to be, I'm getting old aren't I?

I've had mine dyed a few times, they have quite a scattering of blonde, and now a few greys. It looks fine, BUT this is salon dye, not a home kit. It only costs about £8 and lasts a few months.

MagzFarqharson Sun 07-Jul-13 11:19:55

You can get them tinted a light brown - go to a salon if you're not confident to do it yourself. Think most shop-bought products are black/brown.

Eyeshadow on a small angled brush is better than pencil - less harsh (imho)

ITCouldBeWorse Sun 07-Jul-13 11:20:14

So they can sort of colour match?

MagzFarqharson Sun 07-Jul-13 11:36:02

Yes, there are a range of colours (even grey!)

But I'd just try different brown eyeshadows first, if you like how it looks, get the salon to match the colour in a tint...

(I've just qualified and really passionate about beauty therapy) grin

Devora Sun 07-Jul-13 11:37:20

You wait. Mine are now coming through white and bristly and sticking out at 90 degrees. In the beginning I plucked them out, but they are slowly taking over and at some stage I'll have to swop tactics before I end up shaving the lot off and drawing them in halfway up my forehead.

MagzFarqharson Sun 07-Jul-13 11:45:20

Devora Pleeeease don't do that!!

Stop plucking - start tinting!

The darker you can go, the more youthful the look (not counting the 'scouse-brow' which only looks good on the young uns)

Devora Sun 07-Jul-13 11:57:31

But what about the spikers, Magz? I'm going to look like Dennis Healey if this goes on.

Do they do eyebrow transplants? [hopeful emoticon]

MagzFarqharson Sun 07-Jul-13 12:14:53

Get a good shape first, might be worth a salon visit, they can wax/ thread/ trim (and pluck!) to a good shape. They'll brush and trim (the spikers), then tint to your desired colour, then it's just maintenance.

You can pluck new growth, under-brow, (never on top of brow) to keep fresh and tidy between salon appointments (4-weeks average) for re-tinting - you'll be gorgeous!

MagzFarqharson Sun 07-Jul-13 12:16:30

Transplants? grin I'll sign up to that course when it's available.

MisguidedAngel Sun 07-Jul-13 12:24:52

OP, you could be me. My hair is quite a nice shade of silvery white, I've never coloured it (it started early). My naturally very dark eyebrows used to look ok with it, but now I've got those sticky-out bristly white ones too. I plucked at first, but they're taking over. I had my eyebrows professionally (but not very well) shaped and tinted and ended up looking like Alistair Darling, I hated it. Now I'm trying to colour in with grey eyebrow pencil, then smoothing down with vaseline. Good tip from Magz, I will try eye-shadow on a brush.

MagzFarqharson Sun 07-Jul-13 12:31:37
Sonotkylie Sun 07-Jul-13 21:03:58

Sounds like salon is the way to go. Good luck OP. i will bear it in mind as it sounds like mine will be following! I am not young but have youthful hair.

Vibbe Sun 07-Jul-13 21:33:42

Get the white ones tinted. There are also brown home dye kits if you want to do it yourself.

And for spiky ones, use an eye brow gel. Some people use a spoolie with hairspray to brush and hold them in place, but I haven't tried that myself.
You can get tinted eye brow gel.

I use MAC eye shadow on an angled brush, and works fine. I use either Omega or Mystery, and as I have very fair brows, I try to just get the colour on the brows and not on the skin, as it will look too painted on if I colour the skin too.

uptight Sun 07-Jul-13 21:45:52

No, no, noooo you need Benefit browzings - like eyeshadow for your brows with the perfect little brush. Go to a benefit bar to get them to demo - don't be scared if they overdo it - a little goes along way and I think less is more.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now