Need a really good primer for oily skin

(21 Posts)
alltoomuchrightnow Sun 07-Jul-13 01:31:38

I'm pretty much combination in winter, but hopelessly oily in summer (even round the eyes). I can't go without foundation /concealer as have a few broken veins/ redness on cheeks, and terrible dark circles. I really need a primer that will make my undereye concealer stay put and not settle into lines.
I walked past the BeneFit counter the other day and the salesgirl pounced on me and tried their new primer on the back of my hand. It comes in a stick form. I did tell her it was pointless as my hands are always dry and my face is not! Has anyone tried it?
Also what moisturiser do you oily lasses use in summer? I'm tempted to go without in the daytime but i do get the odd dry patch on sides of chin and around nose. I've used mattifying ones before that have been quite harsh and stingy.

alltoomuchrightnow Sun 07-Jul-13 01:32:13

BTW i do always powder on top of my makeup....but nothing's lasting right now

alltoomuchrightnow Sun 07-Jul-13 01:33:54

Has anyone tried any of the oil free Kiehls moisturisers? I got Lush's Vanishing Cream but it actually made me shinier! So i'm using it at night only

Sluggers Sun 07-Jul-13 05:01:40

Boots no 7 do an anti shine primer. I tried so many different things and none of them worked, I was so happy when I found this! I've used it for a few years now and swear by it. They changed its name recently though so I can't remember exactly what they call it. It's white packaging.

smilesandsun Sun 07-Jul-13 08:38:37

I'd love to get some suggestions too, especially for blackhead prone skin and hopefully with a spf

Sluggers Sun 07-Jul-13 09:18:55

Just checked and its No 7 Beautifully Matte Makeup Base.

mejypoo Sun 07-Jul-13 09:24:06

Funny you should ask, travelled to Manchester yesterday in search of something that will absorb the ridiculous amount of oil my skin is currently produce.

I'm Asian but not that dark.. Went to Debenhams and to the black up make up counter it's a pretty new brand which tailors for darker skins. Anyway they put the black up mattifying primer on me and it was amazing! No oiliness for the rest of the day and night. Think it's on the Debenhams web site for £27 :-)

alltoomuchrightnow Sun 07-Jul-13 10:24:32

aha i use the No7 daily! Have done for years. but i dab it on OVER makeup. It goes v strange on me if i use it underneath! It works great on my nose and chin....but i can't use it under my eyes. thanks Mejypoo i will have a look at that...

alltoomuchrightnow Sun 07-Jul-13 10:25:27

the N07 is great on my t-zone. in this weather i do have to re apply during the day. but it's way too harsh for around my eyes

reggiebean Sun 07-Jul-13 10:27:52

I love Smashbox's primer, it's amazing!

I got married in New York in August and it was HOT. I have oily skin. The make up guy used Urban Decay on my face (the de-slick setting spray) and I still looked oil free after hours walking around outside having photos taken. You can use before and after make up as well.

shoeprincess2 Sun 07-Jul-13 11:02:01

I swear by NARS light reflecting loose powder. It is white in the pot and looks a little dull on the skin at first, but it is seriously good stuff. I don't use a primer every day, but the powder manages to keep my oily skin looking fresh all day. You only need the tiniest amount, plus you can actually use it around the eyes without a) it reacting and b) going cakey. There has been a lot of love for it on Sali Hughes Beauty and it is often referred to as "magic powder".

Snoozy1 Sun 07-Jul-13 15:01:27

I tried the new benefit one the other day. couldn't spread my foundation over it at all. Ended up wiping it all off.

Keztrel Sun 07-Jul-13 15:04:54

Mac Prep + Prime SPF 50 is amazing for oily skin - shiny bits stay matte all day. My mum has oily skin and swears by it, but I stopped using it as I have a shiny nose but the rest of my skin is dry, and I found it too drying.

Keztrel Sun 07-Jul-13 15:06:20

Helga my mum also swears by that Urban Decay spray thing - can't imagine how it works, but it's very effective!

Vibbe Sun 07-Jul-13 21:53:47

Oil-free day cream, oil-free primer (mattifying if it really has to last all day) and matte finish foundation is the way to go.

I'm testing different products at the moment - Uriage Aquaprecis day cream, which is okay, Illamasqua hydraveil primer (use it as a moisturiser/primer - and it's good), Clinique Anti-blemish day cream (very good, but have been using the 3 step system for a while) or La Roche Posay Effaclar K (also okay).

I don't always use primer, but have used the green one from Smashbox, which is fine. The oil-free one might be better for oily skin though.
Or Laura Mercier oil-free foundation primer.
You can also use the Laura Mercier Secret Finish mattifying primer (which can be used on top of make up as well).

I use Diorskin Nude foundation and am very happy with it. Bobbi Brown makes a long lasting one which is also good. Bourjois's Healthy Mix Foundation is also very good.

Powder on top - I have a couple of different ones: Guerlain, MAC, Essence.

For touch-ups, I use MAC Select Sheer pressed powder.
You can also use those little oil-absorbing sheets of paper. Personally, I don't like them, but loads of people do

Having to powder during the day is quite normal. The products that are made for oily skin tend to contain oil-absorbing ingredients, and there's only so much oil they can absorb. Having a product that absorbs everything would not be nice, as it wouldn't let your skin breathe at all.

misskatamari Sun 07-Jul-13 23:07:57

I used to have super oily skin and found OC8 really good. You can get it online and it's good for helping keep oil at bay.

The absolute best thing I have done however is start using decleor products. I started by going for a facial and was recommended some products so i started using them and my skin is a million times better. It sounds odd at first as you actually use an oil before your moisturiser but it doesn't make skin oily it actually does the opposite. My skin used to be spotty and oily and awful and it's cleared up and ill happily go out without makeup on. It still gets a tad oily but nothin like it used to and makeup sits really well. It's quite a pricey brand but everything lasts for ages and if you wanted more of a solution that might help long term it might be worth considering.

misskatamari Sun 07-Jul-13 23:08:42

Foundation wise I love revlon colour stay - it really stays put but is quite full coverages

Frizzbonce Mon 08-Jul-13 12:04:08

Alltoomuch - along with the excellent suggestions above, a dab of Milk of Magnesia (I kid you not) gets rid of shine immediately.

alltoomuchrightnow Wed 10-Jul-13 23:40:07

thank you everyone, shall go shopping with a list! I've got the Mac p+p..been using last few days as it's been so hot..it does go on me incredibly greasy, which means I have to use extra powder...however it really does help everything stay put

alltoomuchrightnow Fri 12-Jul-13 00:26:21

Frizz, does the Milk of mag have to stay on?! ie thin layer. Or all removed?
Also has anyone used Mac prep and prime on eyelids? I asked today and the MAC consultant said no way and that factor 50 would be very bad for the skin there. I do have sensitive skin but would love to see how if it makes eyemakeup stay put!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now