Okay, fat people, what are you wearing in this heat??

(104 Posts)

People, I am fat, and hardly any of my summer clothes fit me. I need to keep my arms and lower legs covered (psoriasis, varicose veins). I am wearing jeans and long sleeved shirts, and I feel huge, hot and horrible. What can I wear??? I have ordered a couple of maxi dresses and shrugs to cover my arms. What else? I went in Evans the other day but the huge display of polyester smocks was just depressing.

Meanwhile I am digging out my zoe harcombe book in hopes of a quick detox but know it will not work miracles.

Any advice welcome!

TwinkleSparkleBling Mon 08-Jul-13 22:16:42

Lady V do THE BEST plus size dresses (thanks to a S & B thread that I discovered them, so sharing the love).

Whenever I wear one I get loads of positive comments and I am fat.

katydid02 Mon 08-Jul-13 20:52:52

good idea valium, thanks.

Rowgtfc72 Mon 08-Jul-13 18:25:31

Three quarter grey joggers and a red and blue stripey polo shirt. I look very chavvy and its probably not the best thing for an oversized 41 yr old but in my head Im 20 and a size 10 so I dont really care! Re damp patch on chairs, shuffle forward slowly before you move-works for me!

valiumredhead Mon 08-Jul-13 18:16:14

Ffsblush

valiumredhead Mon 08-Jul-13 18:16:04

Oh I meant won't not don't

valiumredhead Mon 08-Jul-13 18:15:40

Doesn't

Sorry about typos!grin

valiumredhead Mon 08-Jul-13 18:15:14

A dress

valiumredhead Mon 08-Jul-13 18:14:57

Katy just wear Dress on the days when you know you'll be at home, just to get used to the feel of it. Do that a few times and then when you do wear it out it don't feel so much of an 'event' iykwim? That's what I do anywaysmile

katydid02 Mon 08-Jul-13 17:37:18

I think everything looks great when you are slim, at least that is what I think when I see my slim colleagues. Mind you, I have a colleague who is very large (as am I) and she always looks lovely whereas I look awful.

EliotNess Mon 08-Jul-13 17:13:02

meh - I am slim and maxi dresses look shit on me
its not just to do with weight

katydid02 Mon 08-Jul-13 17:11:58

Thanks...the dress escaped the charity shop but not sure I will be wearing it any time soon.

Deathwatchbeetle Mon 08-Jul-13 16:19:39

Size 18/20 here.

A sort of cheeseclothy loose filling blouse -short sleeved (don't care about arm showing), loose pair of trousers with laccy waist - a bit like loose leggings but more floaty (iyswim). I am not bothered what others think but do wish to wear somethig comfy as I swell up alarmingly in the heat. Trying to put a bra on , in fact dress myself full stop is very hard in the heat. Trousers that would normally be comfy nearly cut me in half in the warm weather.

Deffo go for floaty thin layers.

Oh and right now? I haven't got up yet, so I'm lying on my bed, starkers, with the windows wide open, enjoying the breeze! force nine gale blowing through!

I was working at a large event yesterday. I'm a big girl and was melting in my work uniform, cropped trousers, polo shirt and a thick apron. I saw many many big women who some would say looked 'crap'. Kudos to them for not caring what others think. I'd have changed places with any one of them! Like a shot! I never wear dresses, being small, round and having legs like tree stumps, but I'm seriously getting to the point where I don't give a rats arse what anyone thinks. I've spent every summer for years in jeans and tee shirts. The idea of wearing a lovely floaty dress and feeling the cool breeze up my gusset is overpowering! grin

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 08-Jul-13 11:39:26

Pin Up I agree. That dress is lovely, feminine, pretty and so fresh and summery. That's a perfect example of modern dresses being made to flatter the fuller figure. I especially love the fabric.

Thank you valium it's a hell bunny dress, dp spotted it in a shop and said it was made for me so if I could find it in my size he'd buy it straight away, I couldn't find it for ages so contacted Hell Bunny directly and they had one left in the warehouse so it was destined to be mine :D

valiumredhead Mon 08-Jul-13 11:27:59

Pin up you look really lovely, very summery. Love that dress!

StickyFloor Mon 08-Jul-13 11:11:43

I wear cut-off tights under skirts and dresses to prevent my thighs rubbing, much lighter than leggings. Also sometimes a hideous slippy underskirt to soak up any sweat if I am going to be sitting down!

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/1044683_586673014698338_68758696_n.jpg?dl=1

This what I wore yesterday, I like 50's style dresses as they are cool and mainly hide my lumps and bumps, I wear a petticoat slip underneath to save my blushes if there is a breeze and I spray antiperspirant on my thighs to stop chaffing. I've given up worrying about my size, I'm a 22, I'm healthy and fairly fit and I feel confident in my skin now.

valiumredhead Mon 08-Jul-13 10:56:35

Bet you look gorgeous Norma grin

ENormaSnob Mon 08-Jul-13 10:51:40

I am sporting a bit of postnatal chub and today am wearing a big white breastfeeding bra, pink granny knickers and spf15.

fudgesmummy Mon 08-Jul-13 10:00:33

I am very fat (size 24) and spend the hot weather in 3/4 length cotton trousers-if I find a style that actually fit me that I like I buy several pairs or long cotton skirts. I wear loose cotton tops that are long enough to cover my mahoosive arse and have sleeves long enough to cover the bingo wings. This summer I found some loose shirts in nice bright colours--green,cerise etc which I have worn with a vest top. I can't wear maxi dresses as they are generally too long and make me look 9 months pregnant!!!!!!!

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 08-Jul-13 09:52:06

'Whatever you want, him', should have been 'whatever you want, Hun'.

Shesparkles Mon 08-Jul-13 09:51:38

I'm on hoiday just now and at a size 20+ wear a bikini. Ok there are far prettier sights out there but I don't really care-I'm having my tan!

To be fair to onesleep, sometimes depending on the style, maxi dresses sent the best look on a large person, I ended up making myself a few dresses for the summer as all I could find was maxi, and I'm finding that a slightly fitted kneeish length dress can be a lot more flattering. Don't get me wrong, I do have a few maxis, but they are A line as opposed to the gathered tiers of fabric which can be a bit shapeless

Onesleeptillwembley Mon 08-Jul-13 09:51:01

Actually, it's the false, patronising, 'empowering' of people, saying 'you wear whatever you want, him, you're gorgeous' that is cruel. I would never dream of laughing or going up to someone to comment. But this is a thread for discussion of opinions. Just because you don't want to agree, tough titties.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now