Hottest day of the year and I'm lusting over Autumn and Winter stuff

(18 Posts)
CambridgeBlue Sat 06-Jul-13 08:50:16

I love the sun and am really looking forward to the predicted warm weather over the next few weeks. But as much as I'll enjoy wearing some summery clothes, I am secretly much more excited by all the A/W previews that keep popping into my inbox.

All those lovely colours and fabrics - silk shirts, soft cashmere jumpers and new leather boots in charcoal and prune and mink and chocolate, they just sound so delicious even though I'm less fond of the cold weather that goes with them.

I find it much harder to dress well in the summer - the simple styles and subtle colours that I prefer don't seem to work as well and whatever I put on first thing never looks right by the end of the day because the weather generally changes so I'm either in flip flops in the rain or jeans in a heat wave!

Tell me I'm not the only one who hates the winter but much prefers winter clothes. And apologies for getting a bit over the top fashion speaky, I'll be talking about 'pieces' and 'a trouser' next!

You are not alone. I love autumn and winter clothes.
I can't wait to wear my hats again.

orangeandemons Sat 06-Jul-13 08:59:34

I love autumn winter clothes too, but haven't found anything to lust at.

The Next stuff is as vile as ever
Boden is drab
La Redoute has horrid colours
Haven't seen anything else yet

Where are you seeing silk shirts?

Last year on holiday in Majorca I was lusting after the 2012 A/W brocade and paisley prints grin

This year I'm coveting UNIQLO down filled jackets.

DH is hmm . What does he know?

CambridgeBlue Sat 06-Jul-13 18:20:54

I liked quite a few things in the new Next range, that's where I saw silk shirt Remus.

WeGotTheKrunk Sat 06-Jul-13 18:28:56

No you're not alone, I love Winter clothes too. It's just so much easier to dress stylishly in A/W. Much as I love the long evenings and warm(ish) weather, I still much prefer winter for dressing grin

Amazinggg Sat 06-Jul-13 19:11:43

You need to get out and hit the sales! There is so much lovely stuff reduced by loads - I may have succumbed to a gorgeous summery dress in Banana Republic today for £30 down from £90 smile London just crammed full of lovely ladies in summery dresses, sandals, teeny shorts and sunnies. It was lush. Make this weather never end! It's only just into July FFS - there will be plenty of summery clothes wear yet <optimist>

orangeandemons Sun 07-Jul-13 08:36:17

But there is no discernible difference between this years and last years Next stuff. And am amazed that they have anything silk. If its in Next, it's polyestet

Thanks Cambridge - will have a look.

Though agree that Next not the obvious place I'd think of re silk! I haven't seen anything i liked in Next for at least 12 years tbh - but I will still look!

And the sales are beyond awful imho. I need a party dress and I don't want my usual black. Everything I looked at in the sales has been beyond hideous - Reiss = interesting shapes (if you have no norks) but vile colours
Cos = long and shapeless
Mango and Oasis and Warehouse = polyester crap for children
Phase Eight = frightful floral polyester numbers for old ladies at weddings
Karen Millen - tiny things made out of bandage fabric with added bling
Coast - lots of shiny satin and some truly hideous colours
French Connection - I saw one (ONE!) dress that I liked but it was in a colour that makes me look like a corpse
Hobbs - long and frumpy in not v good fabrics
I gave up at that point.

Amazinggg Sun 07-Jul-13 13:46:18

Remus if you're near a Banana Republic go and check them out. I was in lust with their summer dresses, mostly now heavily reduced. Lovely bright colours and nice shapes. Sort of Reiss meets Gap meets Hobbs, but with some Michael Kors added in. As of yesterday it's my new favourite shop smile

We're not, sadly.

TSSDNCOP Sun 07-Jul-13 15:33:27

I spent yesterday evening lusting after boots in the Hobbs sale.

In fact all shoes in the Hobbs sale.

I am having a Hobbs moment.

AwkwardSquad Sun 07-Jul-13 19:48:35

I've having the same experience as Remus. I've recently lost over a stone, I now have about 5 outfits that fit and that includes my one pair of jeans that are really a tad too big. I have money to buy new clothes, but I hate everything in the shops. It's very, very annoying.

Awkward - well done on the weight loss. I rate the M&S 'jeggings' in light and indigo wash denim. Oasis jeans are also pretty good, especially if you want/need a high-ish waist.

I have 4 pairs of jeans which I'm v happy with, but virtually no tops to wear with them.

And as for this flipping party dress...smile

AwkwardSquad Sun 07-Jul-13 21:22:33

Thanks, Remus smile. I've an afternoon at the shops this week so will persevere, but I'm really looking forward to Autumn clothes. So much easier than Summer! Lovely lovely woollies and boots grin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now