WEDDING DRESSES- have you kept yours?

(16 Posts)
Missbopeep Fri 05-Jul-13 07:23:04

Is the S&B or Relationships?

Anyhoo- my wedding dress is coming up to 30 years old- and I'm still with DH. It's in a box in the spare room and as we are having a massive clear out ( modern house not much storage space) I am - again- wondering 'what do I do with this dress'?

I don't have terribly sentimental feelings over it though it is a nice white frothy dress. It can't be altered into an evening/ party dress.
My DD is unlikely to want to wear it if she ever marries. It might be dressing up fodder for any grandchildren in years to come. I might look at it if I get to 90 and am in a nursing home.

But apart from that?

Would you keep it and why? And if not- just bin it, Ebay it- what?

rubylovesshopping Fri 05-Jul-13 07:46:19

Have kept it. Unlikely to ever be worn again couldn't fit into it now. No idea what to do with it wish I had not been so sentimental and had sold it in first year or 2 when it would have had some value. Suspect that one day it will be one of the ones you see on a charity shop mannequin.

Missbopeep Fri 05-Jul-13 07:48:20

Agree smile
Mine has been lugged from house to house still in original box. I keep thinking maybe one day someone will be saying 'this is what great great great granny wore ...' but maybe I'm being silly and they'll just bin it.

dexter73 Fri 05-Jul-13 08:08:28

I got rid of mine a few years ago. I'm not sentimental about stuff so it really didn't bother me. I gave mine to a charity shop. It is definitely the right style to be one that you see on a mannequin - puffy sleeves big skirt, totally 90's!!

MirandaWest Fri 05-Jul-13 08:10:10

I've still got mine - no idea why as I've been separated over two years now. Think charity shop is probably the way to go

Missbopeep Fri 05-Jul-13 08:12:31

Mine's a really 'pretty dress'- frothy layers of net skirt, fitted waist and lace, slightly off the shoulders top. It's a lovely dress though dated now- 80s. Hmmmmm...........

bunny27 Fri 05-Jul-13 10:39:32

have kept mine as I wore my mums wedding dress - Its our 30th wedding anniversary in Sept and my mum married in 1959 so I feel I should keep it. Its a beautiful classic style, absolutely no frills, guipore lace all over, fitted - no i couldn't fit into it ! but its timeless.

superbagpuss Fri 05-Jul-13 10:56:23

I've got mine, only married four years ago

I purposely got a cheap one so I didn't feel guilty about keeping it

had some ideas about altering it but glad I kept it

Chocotrekkie Fri 05-Jul-13 10:58:25

I've got mine in the loft - glad it's there but it hasn't come out the box in nearly 15 years and no chance of fitting in it.

newestbridearound Fri 05-Jul-13 11:40:01

I've still got mine- but then again I only married 3 weeks ago smile
I had thought about selling it since I won't need it again and I'm not overly sentimental, but it got so dirty from the grass and the dancefloor that I don't think it's worth it really. I'll probably keep it in the loft for a while and then down the line dry clean and donate it.

rubylovesshopping Fri 05-Jul-13 11:48:25

Mine also has grass and wine on it I think the cost of cleaning would negate its value suppose could always make cushions out of it.....

mapleamy Fri 05-Jul-13 11:56:13

Mine is at my Mum's, along with both of my sisters' dresses. I was the last to get married of us three and she tried to convince me to wear one of their dresses instead of buying my own! I really wanted something new and have complete choice over it (legacy of having lots of hand-me-downs as a child)...so I wouldn't expect any younger relatives to want it in the future. Don't think I'd bother keeping it if it was taking up storage space in my own home.

TimothyClaypoleLover Fri 05-Jul-13 12:02:22

Got mine after 4 years. Have spot cleaned it myself - as it was not a hugely expensive dress the cost of professional cleaning would not be worth it.

Like the idea of wearing it when I am 90 in a nursing home!!

Not overly sentimental but keeping it because it is the most beautiful dress I will ever wear and the kids might want to use it for dressing up.

Missbopeep Fri 05-Jul-13 13:31:43

ha! I didn't say I'd wear it in a nursing home shock ( look like Miss Haversham) but that I might LOOk at it and think back,.....

Pandsbear Fri 05-Jul-13 13:44:26

I have mine hanging in a bag on the end of the wardrobe. Can't imagine I will get rid of it anytime soon (been there for 12 years!) but it could be recycled into some very expensive burgundy velvet cushion covers grin.

dexter73 Fri 05-Jul-13 16:32:29

I wish I had kept mine now so I could have worn it when I'm old and in a nursing home!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now