Moisturiser for dry skin

(22 Posts)
JoshBear Tue 02-Jul-13 21:58:07

Have been very bad at caring for my skin for the past 33 years and as I enter my 34th year next week I want to change that. I have dry skin (face and body). Any recommendations? I've been searching online and feel very confused!

Thank you

Roshbegosh Tue 02-Jul-13 22:01:50

I would get some testers, mistakes will cost a fortune. Make sure it has sunblock, the rest is all bollocks.

Mendi Tue 02-Jul-13 22:02:47

Eucerin Q10. Amazing stuff! I used to use Clarins, but had a lot of problems with redness/dryness, and since I started Eucerin Q10 it's improved so much. Feels nice and velvety. I use the pot for dry skin but there is also a lighter formula for combination. I've tried that too but for my money the pot is so much better.

Often on a 3 for 2 in Boots. I love it so much I stockpile it.

valiumredhead Tue 02-Jul-13 22:05:49

Aloe range from the body shop-not the face wash, but the day and night creams are wonderful. Buy online ad they always have offers.

Drhamsterstortoise Tue 02-Jul-13 22:09:23

I've been using rosehip oil at night and Roche posay cicaplast/bast which I find v good

Amazinggg Tue 02-Jul-13 22:12:19

La Roche Posay Cicaplast.

And yy to a daily sunblock (a separate one to your moisturiser) if you're serious about looking after your skin. I use Clinique City Block or La Roche Posay Anthelios.

valiumredhead Tue 02-Jul-13 22:14:48

Yes cicaplast is fab too!

makemineapinot Tue 02-Jul-13 22:15:51

Aveeno is lovely, great moisturiser and oohing for red, raw skin.

I like superdrugs natural radiance cream. I think its SPF 15 and comes in two types, one for normal/combination skin and one for dry skin. I use the dry skin cream and my face has never been softer or brighter. It's also cheap and a fairly big pot, i think its 75ml vs the normal 50ml you get of skin cream

Vibbe Tue 02-Jul-13 22:23:18

Cicaplast is nice, but it's not a moisturiser and doesn't moisturise the skin at all.
It's great for healing the skin and creating a protective barrier, but if you need a moisturiser, you should go for something like Hydraphase (from La Roche Posay), but there are many other brands that make great day creams for dry skin.

I recommend that you get samples before buying anything.

I am 33 28 with similarly dry skin and La Roche Posay Hydreane Riche has pretty much transformed my face.

Amazing stuff.

valiumredhead Tue 02-Jul-13 22:27:48

I use ciciplast as a night cream.

Mendi Tue 02-Jul-13 22:33:03

I tried the LRP Cicaplast before finding Eucerin Q10 and it brought me out in an allergic reaction that left me with a swollen red face for 5 days. Sample with care.

valiumredhead Tue 02-Jul-13 22:36:19

I think I remember you posting about that!

Amazinggg Wed 03-Jul-13 00:31:40

What do you mean Cicaplast isn't a moisturiser? confused I've been using it morning and night - what does it not do that it should? Will investigate Hydreane now but am not sure what constitutes a moisturiser after all! I thought nothing added moisture iyswim, only padding anyway.

cicaplast is for skin irritation - dry patches and chapping - not a moisturiser. It is very very good though.

I've used LRP Hydreane Riche which was good but have been using Toleriane which suits my dry sensitive skin much better. Since using LRP my skin is miles better and also I think that the Dermaflannel helps.

valiumredhead Wed 03-Jul-13 08:07:09

It doesn't matter amazing, of it works for your skin then continue to use it. It's fab for my skin ad it's so dry,I find the 'proper' moisturisers a bit harsh.

Vibbe Wed 03-Jul-13 09:19:16

Cicaplast is a cream for post-procedure skin, so skin that's been through laser treatments and so on. It's supposed to help the healing and create a barrier against bacteria and so on.
I've heard some people say that it's not a cream that should be used daily, as it is a medicated cream, and that it should really only be used on the areas of the skin that need it, but it doesn't say on the tube/box/paper in the box as far as I remember.

I've used Cicaplast and Cicaplast Baume B5 for burns, cuts and skin irritation (for instance during -20 degree winter with icy winds and so on). It doesn't moisturise and it's a silicone blend, so for me it's more useful as a primer than a day cream.

But if it works for you, keep using it - there's probably not anything wrong in that.

If normal moisturisers are too much for your skin, maybe it would help looking for oil-free versions or the ones for dehydrated skin instead.

valiumredhead Wed 03-Jul-13 09:39:50

MY SKIN ALWAYS USED TO LOOK LIKE I HAD HAD A PROCEDURE [GRIN]

oops sorry shouty caps! blush

Amazinggg Wed 03-Jul-13 12:01:27

Thanks Vibbe. I think I'll try Hydreane Riche next. It's the Cicaplast Baume B5 I've been using, which doing a bit more reading is clearly not meant to be a daily moisturiser! blush I think my logic was that if it was super healing then it would work wonders on already ok skin. But tbh my skin doesn't feel moisturised as it usually does. I need some good value hyaluronic acid too I think... sheesh it's tough looking this good on a budget.

ItsintheBag Wed 03-Jul-13 12:11:43

I wrote this post in here a few months ago,I was told to try La Roche Posay Cicaplast.
I also got a the cleanser.My skin has improved greatly and is not dry.
Try it,its great.

squoosh Wed 03-Jul-13 12:13:11

Clinique Moisture Surge.

If you can afford it tou should invest in a serum too, a great one for dry skin is Eucerin's Hyaluron-Filler concentrate.

A good bargain body moisturiser for dry skin is Garnier's Hydralock. It contains urea, urea is VERY good for dry skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now