big busted party dress?

(64 Posts)
hotair Sat 29-Jun-13 18:13:37

Oh mighty style and beauty experts please help me!
I'm a guest at a big family wedding 6 weeks from now and I am having a terrible time finding a dress/ outfit.
It's a later afternoon to evening job, 4 course meal, castle and big banker types. DH is best man.
I have a 52/53 inch bust in a bra (but a size 18 bottom half)and I'm about 5"4. Dark hair and eyes and luminously pale skin.
I was thinking about getting this but it's not available in my size any more sad so I have no idea where to go. I've checked monsoon, evans, everywhere that I can think of that might have something! My total budget including shoes is about £150.
Shoes need to be available in a 6 wide fit/ extra wide fit and wedge heel or flats (I can't wear heels really)
Where can I get something suitable? It's too late for custom made and I have no idea where I can buy something nice in my size!

hotair Wed 03-Jul-13 18:40:01

I got the petticoat! The dress has arrived and I've started another thread here to get people's opinions on which one makes me look best!

mooseisabunny Tue 02-Jul-13 07:09:52

Beautiful choice Hotair!

I agree with Mrs, you dont need a petticoat but they do look awesome!

MrsLettuce Sun 30-Jun-13 23:37:48

Oh, great choice! Lovely!

A petticoat is always good, love the look they give. One would balance your top half beautifully and make your waist tiny too. But, that said, it's in no way essential, the dresses are lovely without too. If a full on petticoat is too much for your taste, you might like the tara starlet ones, they add body and movement without masses of fullness.

hotair Sun 30-Jun-13 22:40:53

I love the swing dress! I've ordered the first alexon one to come tomorrow and I'm now ordering this which I thought I could wear with these shoes
Mumsnet saves the day- as always...
Do you think I 'll need a petticoat under the swing dress?

thatisnotanoption Sun 30-Jun-13 22:35:51

When you find your dress, I recommend duo for wider fitting shoes (and boots in winter).

il0vepudding Sun 30-Jun-13 22:28:07

I'm a 34H and I'm tight with money. I just stick to Ebay and jersey dresses from charity shops ect, I never wear things with vertical seams under the bust ect. However people have suggested bravissimo for me. I looked online and their stuff wasn't cheap, about £40-£70 for one dress so I was put off, but their stuff was nice and they cater to big breasted women. Their clothes make is called 'pepperberry'. Look them up.

MrsLettuce Sun 30-Jun-13 22:07:55

THe last dress (which also comes in a hepburn version) with these shoes, www.zara.com/uk/en/woman/handbags/clutch-bags/leather-clutch-c434560p1258508.html and this jacket would be stunning, all together it comes neatly within budget.

TeamEdward Sun 30-Jun-13 21:54:05

I really rate the Lady V swing dresses for big boobs!

MrsLettuce Sun 30-Jun-13 21:28:16

Oh, that's interesting, I;ve heard the hepburn dresses fall smaller than their swing dresses, which have a lower neckline. You might like this.

mooseisabunny Sun 30-Jun-13 21:18:11

?

I am the same bust as you and the 24 is perfect

iheartdusty Sun 30-Jun-13 21:09:37
MrsLettuce Sun 30-Jun-13 13:00:18

The alexon rose print dress you linked to last night was very nice, surely worth a try? M&S have got a few wide fit shoes under 25 pounds that'd work with it.

noddyholder Sun 30-Jun-13 12:33:13
hotair Sun 30-Jun-13 12:29:27

The corsage dress is very similar to the mother of the groom outfit so no good.
The polish site is a real find- loads of great stuff! But that gorgeous dress is sold out and there's nothing there in my size! I'm feeling a bit cursed I have to say...
Thanks for everyone's hard work!

OrangeLily Sun 30-Jun-13 10:43:12

Excellent. It seems to be much cheaper than pepper berry and looks like a good range of basics.

I generally find pepper berry more of a miss than a hit these days. When it used to just be bravissimo and they started doing a few dresses they were lovely and in fact I still wear those regularly too. The new pepper berry stuff seems a bit cheap and and aimed at an older market too.

Sorry for meandering off dress hunting topic!

hairtwiddler Sun 30-Jun-13 09:53:59

The quality is really good OrangeLily. Nice range of basics I think with a few styles a bit of the dated side but more hits than misses. I had a wrap top from there recently I had to fix at the seam but I may have put a lot of pressure on it when tying it up!
I've had a few things from bravissimo/pepperberry and imho biubiu is much better quality material and better made.
The postage isn't too bad, prices are cheap enough to make it worthwhile. I haven't had to send anything back yet though.

OrangeLily Sun 30-Jun-13 09:44:53

Wow that Polish co is amazing. What is the quality like and how much does it cost to import?

This is not somewhere I normally shop but M and Co recently seem to have had a make-over and their sizes are very generous I think. Lots of smart wedding type stuff too.

hairtwiddler Sun 30-Jun-13 09:34:09

Thanks cece. I've had a few things from there, including the purple long sleeved dress. Too warm for wedding wear that one though.

cece Sun 30-Jun-13 09:30:26
hairtwiddler Sun 30-Jun-13 09:23:17

Sorry i'm on iad so links don't work.... Can someone do a linky?

hairtwiddler Sun 30-Jun-13 09:22:30

This Polish company does some brilliant stuff for those large of nork. Good prices and much better quality than pepperberry.

http://biubiu.pl/en/kyoto-bluebell.html

Roshbegosh Sun 30-Jun-13 08:56:06

Stunning suggestions everyone.

cece Sun 30-Jun-13 08:28:38
cece Sat 29-Jun-13 23:12:54

I feel your pain. I too have big norks.

hotair Sat 29-Jun-13 23:05:19

I like all of those cece, but I don't think they'll fit- the white rose one has stretch in the fabric but all the ones you linked to have no elastane- an alexon 22 is a bit smaller than my boobs so it has to have elastane to fit. I'd need a 24 in the ones you linked to, and alexon doesn't go up to a 24. The the pretty one is my favourite! Such a gorgeous pattern

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now