A well fitting, smart/sexy and preferably push-up bra size 38A... impossible???

(909 Posts)
justkeeponsmiling Thu 27-Jun-13 22:42:46

I am sooo fed up with trying to find a well fitting bra, preferably nice looking and adding a bit of "volume" in my size...
I'm starting to feel like a freak!
Am i really the only person in the world with really small breasts and a slightly larger ribcage?
Every bra I find is either too tight around my chest or has gaping cups. I need a wired one as any others leave me looking completely flat-chested.
Any suggestions of shops or online retailers would be greatly appreciated!

Pinkypie78 Fri 22-Jul-16 21:35:09

smile thank you I'm sure I will find my perfect fit now I know what I'm doing, it's crazy to think I've been wearing the wrong size probably all my bra wearing years.

KatharinaRosalie Fri 22-Jul-16 13:50:17

Also Pinky sometimes the trouble is that the band is too loose - the bra has to be quite tight to keep the boobs from escaping

I have finally managed to successfully bra-intervene a friend of mine, who was clearly in ill-fitting bras, but kept claiming she's a 38B.
Draped an old bra of mine around her just to show that the band fits - she's now 34E.

Also Pinky sometimes the trouble is that the band is too loose - the bra has to be quite tight to keep the boobs from escaping

Pinkypie78 Fri 22-Jul-16 12:55:07

Thank you x

Escaping underarm means you need more cup space there- if the cups are full elsewhere go up a cup, if they're not try a wider style like Freya patsy half cup

Pinkypie78 Fri 22-Jul-16 12:22:27

Just a quick update I was buying a couple of tops in new look sale and ordered a 32d (couldn't get my head around an e) arrived and I'm amazed it fits me better than any bra I've ever worn, I scooped but my under arm boobies keep escaping haha does that mean it's too big or small?

bluebiro Mon 18-Jul-16 23:09:44

Different brands can vary and it's worth trying a few different styles to see what suits you (eg balconette, half cup, plunge etc). Some brands/styles are better for wider set boobs, some for narrower etc. I think that supermarket bras probably aren't going to be the best for shape and support, but it's worth a try.

If you can, order a few online so you can try them on at home. Bravissimo are good. Brastop are good for decent brands at bargain prices.

Pinkypie78 Mon 18-Jul-16 20:52:36

Thanks for reply😀Yes when leaning forward, that seems crazy that would be my size, but I will give it a go. Will all shops be the same regarding size as I have 5 kids and hardly go anywhere other than asda haha

I love how this thread just keeps bouncing back!

RavioliOnToast Mon 18-Jul-16 20:21:06

I was wearing a 46b, after being bra fitted I am now a 38F

bluebiro Mon 18-Jul-16 19:48:44

Pinkypie78 Is the 38" measured when you were leaning forward? If so, then 32E as a starting point. Make sure you "scoop" as this makes a massive difference (it's described here: thebetterbracampaign.blogspot.co.uk/p/fitting-advice.html).

When the cup size is too small, then there is not enough of the cup to cover the boobs and so they "steal" fabric from the band. This is probably why the 34A felt too tight. You need a big enough cup and then a firm-fitting band to give you support.

Pinkypie78 Mon 18-Jul-16 18:48:48

I found this amazing thread from searching 38 a bra on Google as never seen one in shops have mostly worn a 34a since my first bra as a teen (I'm 38 now) and then changed to 36a as 34 was too tight I've tried a b cup but it gapes and if I lean forward everything is exposed, 36 is just too tight digging in like crazy so I thought I must need a 38 but after reading this post I have measured myself at a 32 under bust and a 38 at fullest part, so what size would that make?

SinisterBumFacedCat Thu 30-Jun-16 14:21:22

Quick update

Finally got fitted at the Triumph shop, I've gone from 38a to 32DD!

Statistically was absolutely right smile flowers

Makemineacabsauv Mon 06-Jun-16 21:01:40

Thank you!

Start with a 36G/GG and a 38FF/G

Makemineacabsauv Sun 05-Jun-16 11:16:29

Help!! Measured myself -37" under boobs and 46" at biggest (boobs hanging down( - anyone able to tell me what size I am please?!!

TheWitchwithNoName Tue 31-May-16 20:47:33

I'm wearing old stretched 32A sized bras at the moment and they are feeling really tight, so to measure as a 29 is very odd! I need padding so maybe a B cup will mean the wires are more comfortable. I'll have to try a few on I guess smile

Lweji Tue 31-May-16 20:28:10

The right size is important, but it's not an M&S size. grin

The breasts should be supported by the band primarily, so adding to it does nothing for support and leaves it all to the straps, thus the band ridding up the back and shoulder marks.

As for the cups, if you try with a fitting t-shirt it should be obvious if any breast tissue is bulging.

And scoop. smile

purpleviolet1 Tue 31-May-16 20:22:43

Is it more about what 'feels' right? They always say it's important to wear the right size.

Start with a 32DD

purpleviolet1 Tue 31-May-16 19:41:34

Can someone please help??

This thread has opened my eyes. I've only ever been fitted at Marks and Sparks.

My measurements are :
32 under bust
37 when leaning forward (over lowest part)

I'm currently wearing 34C

Witch, don't be scared to try both- am assuming you're going for a 30 band? Cup shape is almost as important in order to get a flattering fit.

TheWitchwithNoName Tue 31-May-16 18:59:38

OK, if anyone is still around I'm a 29/30.5-31...still an A or have I creeped over to a B?!

Taylorandnicolesmummy Mon 30-May-16 20:29:39

That's shocking!! Thanks will give them a go 😂

StickTheDMWhereTheSunDontShine Mon 30-May-16 19:58:20

Try that and 30F and thereabouts.

Taylorandnicolesmummy Mon 30-May-16 19:48:38

31/38, would I start with 32E?

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now