How do you get that 'dewy' look..?

(70 Posts)
Scarletohello Thu 27-Jun-13 12:24:45

Ok, I have quite dry skin so all those foundations/primers that mattify the skin make me look deadened! Has anyone found any products, serums, primers, foundations that give you a lovely dewy look? Am over 40 now so need some help!!

dontyouwantmebaby Fri 28-Jun-13 13:46:14

oops the concealer stick is maybelline not natural collection.

QueenMaeve Fri 28-Jun-13 13:53:00

I love Benefit Holywood glow daubed over my make up, gives a real sheen

EliotNess Fri 28-Jun-13 14:36:02

Dry skin. Chanel vita is good. Also the bobbi brown one. Can't remember name

KikeriFreedomCastle Fri 28-Jun-13 14:45:37

I've had lots of compliments on my glowy skin recently. I put this down to regular use of my dermaflannel (from Bravura, to which I'm now converted) and Inlight organic daily face oil www.onlynaturals.co.uk/inlight-organic-daily-face-oil-30ml

Chanel aqualumiere is good for dewy look I've found, too.

cherhorowitz Fri 28-Jun-13 15:00:19

Rimmel Wake Me Up foundation or Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation (both around £10) for high street or YSL's Touché Éclat foundation (£35) for higher end.

For a powder highlight use MAC Mineralized Skin Finish (I use Soft & Gentle) which is around £25 or MUA at Superdrug have a lovely very similar one for £3.

Benefit High Beam is great but for £2.50 onAmazon or in Bodycare you can get the Technic High Lights which is the same tone as High Beam and much much cheaper.

Use a moisturising primer such as the Nivea one (can't remember the name - about a fiver) and buff in with a stippling brush rather than a foundation brush.

Don't skip powder as you need to set your make up with something but use translucent powder sparingly over the cheeks and nose to keep a more natural shine.

tearoomtrash Fri 28-Jun-13 18:17:48

Vaseline dabbed lightly onto cheek bones, corner of eye socket and brow bone.

Claxonia Fri 28-Jun-13 18:27:31

Shiseido BB cream with MUA fixing spray on top. Sometimes with some MUA highlighting powder around the edges.

TERRICOVERLEYDoSAC Fri 28-Jun-13 18:28:00

Have just tried the new Elemis Illuminating Balm (there was a free 15 ml sample on the front of Red magazine this month). Love the stuff - leaves my skin looking dewy and softly-lit. Can use under make-up or mix with foundation. Smells gorgeous too. Works better on my skin than the Clarins flash balm. Agree comment above though about not having children...

chanel vitalumiere aqua. it is amazing and I have over 40 dry skin

Murraylover Sat 29-Jun-13 11:43:41

Boots no.7 BB cream

Laquila Sat 29-Jun-13 11:50:54

TERRICOVERLEY (hah!) I was just about to say the same thing about the Elemis sample - I'm using it as a highlighter on cheekbones/under eyebrows rather than all over, but it's very good. Smells a bit overpowering, but not actually unpleasant.

Other than that I'd agree with a strategic dab or two of Vaseline and would also recommend using an oil as a night cream (Neal's Yard Rose Facial Oil, Clairns Lotus or Blue Orchid).

SorrelForbes Sat 29-Jun-13 17:19:55

I use (in this order):

Estee Lauder Idealist (after my moisturiser)
Girl Meets Pearl
La Roche Posay BB cream or No7 Lift and Luminate depending on how much coverage I want/need
Benefit Watts up highlighter

Scarletohello Sat 29-Jun-13 23:51:08

Wow, thanks everybody! So many things to try now...

JeanPaget Sun 30-Jun-13 00:30:40

You've had loads of suggestions already, but I would second:

Bourjois Healthy Mix foundation
Benefit Girl Meets Pearl, a primer
Revlon Skinlights Face Illuminator as a Benefit high beam dupe.
Or for a powder highlighter, The Balm May-Lou Highlighter

Rulesgirl Sun 30-Jun-13 00:52:33

Olay 7 signs gives a lovely dewy look.

angusandelspethsthistlewhistle Sun 30-Jun-13 01:32:04

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Frostybean Sun 30-Jun-13 02:00:55

Mischa chboyang BB cream No 1. Amazing. High Beam isnt really suitable for over 35s. MAC strobe is more natural.

lottieandmia Sun 30-Jun-13 02:21:05

It's important to realise the need to remove dead skin cells to keep skin looking fresh, rather than just putting products on iyswim.

Have you tried a microdermabrasion or a face peel? Both work wonders and skin looks fresher for the long term.

Kirky12 Sun 30-Jun-13 07:03:28

Laura Mercier tinted moisturiser - literally a facelift / Botox for 40 plus. I never understand quite how it can transform my skin. Looks great with a good cream blusher too, MAC is great for that.

EliotNess Sun 30-Jun-13 10:20:45

It is really MEH that laura mercier thing
I fear it. like beauty flash balm, has an Emperor's new clothes thing going on.
I found it just like watery foundation.

try the Vitalumiere for real DEW
( lol at us discussing dew)

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Sun 30-Jun-13 10:21:15

Bookmarking and also asking the S and B jury whether powder IS really necessary?

Translucent powder increasingly makes me look like Miss Havisham so I have started wearing nowt over Laura Mercier Tinted Moisturiser. But do I need it to "set" my make up?

It is clear however that I am well out of date on my products. BB cream? Primer? Illuminator? Where is an amateur to start? Any routines recommended for someone who doesn't want to overload my skin with product?

Also my tip for dewiness is to wear the right colours. The difference between me in a black versus cream, coral, blue etc is about 10 years.

HappyAsEyeAm Mon 08-Jul-13 16:17:01

Has origins stopped doing that vitazing with sheer tint release that poppy recommended? I have looked for it on their website, but only the origins vitazing moisturiser (no sheer tint release) is coming up.

Anyone?

Vibbe Mon 08-Jul-13 17:56:22

TondelayoSchwarzkopf, powder is only necessary if you need it. If you don't, then don't bother.
I use powder (not always though), because my skin gets shiny and oily, and I don't always think it's a great look. But it's a matter of taste.

If I were you, I'd go for a foundation or BB cream (which is the same as a tinted moisturiser, as well as a liquid highlighter.
You can then mix the highlighter with your foundation/BB cream, and/or use it on the high points of your face.
I don't know if you have a blush already, but I'd get that too - flushed cheeks look youthful and lovely.

If you start with that, you should then be able to tell if you need a primer (there are many types - mattifying, moisturising, different coloured ones (green, apricot, lavender) and so on).

Another thing that's completely ignored by loads of people is a lash curler. Using a lash curler makes a massive difference IMO - opens the eyes, makes them look bigger and gives a more awake look.

PoppyAmex Portugal Mon 08-Jul-13 18:48:06

Happy they definitely still make it; I got mine at John Lewis recently.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now