Jeans and over 50 women

(143 Posts)
Startail Wed 26-Jun-13 12:04:49

I'm 45, I live in jeans, long sleeved t shirt and hoodie, in winter when not dressed up.

I can't conceive of suddenly stopping doing on my 50th birthday.

What do the older ones of you or your younger mums wear?

I realise I only see older women (to know their approx age) at church and WI where they are dressed up.

My mum is much older and has never worn jeans, DMIl was ten years older still and only wore trousers when riding.

What do 50-60 yearolds wear on an ordinary Saturday?

squoosh Wed 26-Jun-13 16:20:52

My Mum is 71 and wears jeans, in fact she only bought her first pair a couple of years ago. So for her it's not clinging onto her 'youth' but trying a new look that she's seen her peers wearing. She wears them in quite a smart way, definitely no hoodies! But she looks great.

Jeans and hoody 'tilIdie.

My mum's never worn a pair of jeans in her life. It's a generational thing, surely?

zzzexhaustedzzz Wed 26-Jun-13 16:37:05

If they are flattering that's surely ok. I'm under 40 and won't wear mine at the moment since I put 2 stone on! However if I lose that and they look good again I will wear them!

MisguidedAngel Wed 26-Jun-13 16:52:24

I was 69 last week and I wear jeans all the time. I just have different sorts - gardening/shopping/afternoon out/dress up, with equivalent tops - and now they're so fashionable, different colours too, though I prefer blue denim. I only deviate from this if it's hot - which it isn't very often where we live.

MoominMammasHandbag Wed 26-Jun-13 17:29:55

My Mum is 76 and wears jeans; to be honest she's a lot more fashionable than me all round.

bigTillyMint Wed 26-Jun-13 17:33:32

I am nearly 50 and I wear these

motherinferior Wed 26-Jun-13 17:37:00

BTM...aren't those a bit, well, racy for you?

My Mum is 63 this year and wears skinny jeans and knee high boots outside the house and slobs around in Pineapple yoga pants at home. She's a size 8 with 36" inside leg and looks ridiculously good envy (flabby size 18)

bigTillyMint Wed 26-Jun-13 17:39:54

grin

BIWI Wed 26-Jun-13 17:42:13

Loving that elastic look, BTM!
grin

usualsuspect Wed 26-Jun-13 17:44:37

I'm 54 and haven't swapped my jeans for slacks yet.

GrimmaTheNome Wed 26-Jun-13 17:47:32

BTM - that's the sort of trew my 90+ MIL used to wear grin

Redlocks30 Wed 26-Jun-13 17:50:33

My mum is 70 and still wears jeans. Bootcuts or skinny jeans with sandals or boots. She is slim and petite with an excellent sense of style which probably helps!

katydid02 Wed 26-Jun-13 18:01:52

I won't stop wearing jeans, why would I? Gone are the days when you got to 50 and started wearing shapeless polyester flowery dresses

storytopper Wed 26-Jun-13 18:16:41

I am 58, I have always worn jeans and probably always will. I wear a style that suits my height, weight and shape. They are just trousers that happen to have a few studs and pockets.

I wear black jeans to work (shhh, don't tell!)

WoTmania Wed 26-Jun-13 18:37:15

my grandmother is nearly 80 and she wears jeans...

Murraylover Wed 26-Jun-13 18:59:22

My MIL is nearly 70 & loves jeans with a cardie. Granny-style. It's a sight you do see often. A bit like 40yo in discos - love or hate seeing them

complexnumber Wed 26-Jun-13 19:11:51

I'm 52 and wear shorts most days as we live in a hot climate. It's not pretty, but I'm not that worried.

I don't think either of my parents has ever worn a pair of jeans. You just didn't do that in the sixties if you were a "grown up".

flippinada Wed 26-Jun-13 19:54:56

I am in my late 30s and I live in jeans as well. So does my Mum..I won't tell you her age, she won't thank me. However I can confirm that she's definitely older than 50 grin.

soggyryvita Wed 26-Jun-13 20:10:16

I'm 53. I wear skinny jeans, sweatshirts, pumps/boots etc. All my friends (inc those who are older than me), still wear jeans too. I wouldn't wear distressed/ones with holes in etc because I think that's not 'me' anymore. But like the others have said, I think jeans are ok on all ages.

happyreindeer Wed 26-Jun-13 20:10:45

No. Quite right. Shapeless polyester dresses are for 14 to18 year olds nowadays.

I'm 56 and have been wearing jeans since I was a teenager. So why should I stop now? Don't forget we are the generation who were hippies in our teens, punks in our twenties, wore pencil skirts, platform shoes and fishnets in our late twenties etc., etc. I have had aubergine, auburn, blonde, pink and black hair - although not all at the same time. I wore bright blue nail varnish in the 1970s.

At the moment, I am trying to cheer myself up by wearing gorgeous colours. At this age my Mum was in definite "old" mode, but I am not giving in yet!

pussycatwillum Wed 26-Jun-13 21:10:38

I never wear jeans because I think that I am too fat, rather than too old.

Dawndonna Wed 26-Jun-13 21:11:07

I'm 54. I wear jeans, usually from Fatface, sometimes M&S Jeggings.

flippinada Wed 26-Jun-13 21:16:18

I bought a pair of Levis recently. Eye wateringly expensive (well to me anyway) but absolutely amazing fit.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now