Jeans and over 50 women

(143 Posts)
Startail Wed 26-Jun-13 12:04:49

I'm 45, I live in jeans, long sleeved t shirt and hoodie, in winter when not dressed up.

I can't conceive of suddenly stopping doing on my 50th birthday.

What do the older ones of you or your younger mums wear?

I realise I only see older women (to know their approx age) at church and WI where they are dressed up.

My mum is much older and has never worn jeans, DMIl was ten years older still and only wore trousers when riding.

What do 50-60 yearolds wear on an ordinary Saturday?

higgle Wed 26-Jun-13 14:02:53

I have just recruited someone on a career change to my team aged 64 and she is drop dead gorgeous ( and wears very tight skinny jeans on her days off)

MyBoysAreFab Wed 26-Jun-13 14:03:20

Totally agree with you pot39 about being an adult. I keep waiting to feel like a grown up but it never seems to happen. I spend my whole working life waiting for someone to realise that I am a fraud with I have a sense of humour as immature as it ever was.

TondelayoSchwarzkopf Wed 26-Jun-13 14:03:20

that some younger people have a very limited view or experience of what older people do.

Well quite. I had to quit the 'middle-aged frump' thread because they were all about 33!!! I am 39 and may consider becoming middle-aged in 30 or 40 years, depending on the benefit package.

happyreindeer Wed 26-Jun-13 14:12:21

I was 50 2 weeks ago and it feels so strange to say that age as I just do not feel it. I wear skinny jeans. converse breton tops etc. Although recently have been wearing sketchers go walk a lot as I am in fitness mode.

Namechanger012345 Wed 26-Jun-13 14:13:05

My mum is 60+ and wears jeans - never crossed my mind that there could be anything odd about that! Wear what you want, it's fine.

Somethingyesterday Wed 26-Jun-13 14:14:06

Can I trade you a stereotype? Living in rural middle of nowhereness I'm guessing you spend lots of time in the open air, and get plenty of exercise? So you probably look better in your jeans than almost anyone.

I think the consensus round here (in front of my mirror...) is that, where possible, you might want to consider improving the quality of your wardrobe, rather than its essential nature. Take a birthday trip to a cool city and search out better jeans - and other stuff. Also, this will mean you're not wearing the same clothes as your daughter.

This is my first foray into S and B. When I'm lurking it's always light and breezy. I've been here half an hour and turned it into a lecture....

missmartha Wed 26-Jun-13 14:19:58

missbopeep

When I said she was still working at 64 I was being ironic.

I can't get over how agist some people are either. It would never occur to me that someone should retire because of the date they were born any more than suggesting they should give up wearing jeans at 50.

Totally beyond me that.

UtterflyButterfly Wed 26-Jun-13 14:24:34

I'm late fifties and currently wearing dark straight legged jeans and a breton top. Why not? If I didn't wear jeans 90% of the time I'm at home I don't know what I WOULD wear!

motherinferior Wed 26-Jun-13 14:26:15

I too turned 50 a couple of weeks ago grin. Today I am wearing a pair of Levi Curve jeans, a top printed with parrots on it (White Stuff sale a couple of years ago) and a cotton cardie originally from Jigsaw via the charity shop.

BIWI Wed 26-Jun-13 14:46:06

"But Startail, it's the white MC as you call them who tend to be more trendy and stay young - youthful longer!"

WTAF does this mean?

I'm 53, and live in jeans. Denim (blue or black), skinnies. Wouldn't cross my mind to wear anything else.

Guerrillacrochet Wed 26-Jun-13 15:01:47

My grandmother still wears jeans and she is 87. She also dyes her hair auburn. My grandfather wore his jeans until his death last year at 85. I think I win on the oldest denim fans so far, hoping someone has a nonagenerian in coloured skinnies to trump me.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 26-Jun-13 15:05:32

My very attractive Aunt is 55 and wears jeans all the time....she has a blonde bob and often wears heels with her jeans...she looks amazing.

Ragwort Wed 26-Jun-13 15:09:21

I also agree that an lot of mumsnetters do appear incredibly ageist.

I am mid 50s, happily wear jeans (actually not so happily now that I could lose some weight grin) - but you know what I mean.

Greydog Wed 26-Jun-13 15:11:34

I'm 60 this year (Arrgghh! How did that happen!) I wear jeans all the time. I am wearing them now. In the very early mornings I wear combats to dog walk (all those pockets, so handy) and if I'm gardening old joggers. And I agree with MyBoys - I don't really care what people think. was it Bette Midler who said "if they can't take a joke Fuck 'em"? Well that's how I feel!

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Wed 26-Jun-13 15:13:17

Rag they'll eat their words when they suddenly realise they're 40! It comes to us all! [gleeful]

Scrazy Wed 26-Jun-13 15:14:40

I wear skinny jeans, usually with heeled boots, wedged sandals or high heels for a night out. I'm 50+ and my bum looks good in them.

I still go out nightclubbing on occasions and have no shortage of young men chatting and flirting with me. Just for the record, so won't stop wearing jeans anytime soon. grin

LimburgseVlaai Wed 26-Jun-13 15:16:11

I remember a thread about not being allowed long hair after 40.

Surely it's not about age? Size on the other hand... I wouldn't want to dictate to other people what they can and can't wear, but seeing an arse in leggings or tight skirt that looks like a pillowcase stuffed with cottage cheese does make me shudder a bit. But hey ho, if that's what feels comfortable, sod it.

milk Wed 26-Jun-13 15:22:06

Different style/colour jeans suit different body shapes therefore you can wear jeans at any age grin

Startail Wed 26-Jun-13 15:25:43

[Grin] I could get out and walk miles, but I'm far too lazy.

This is 'ladies who lunch country' rather nice bright, interesting and educated women when you get to know them, but a bit intimidatingly smart when you don't.

Startail Wed 26-Jun-13 15:29:59

I think there are a fair few final salary scheme pensions and long since payed for houses, so they have more money than those of us mortgages and dependent DCs.

Startail Wed 26-Jun-13 15:31:27

They have beautiful houses too.

BIWI Wed 26-Jun-13 15:40:17

I was walking behind a girl yesterday, on the tube. She didn't look much older than mid-20s. She was wearing tight, cream leggings, with a (very visible) pink thong underneath. Her leggings were so tight, you could see all the cellulite dimpling on each arse cheek as she walked. I was hypnotised by it. Couldn't stop staring at her arse!

missbopeep Wed 26-Jun-13 15:42:54

Maybe- just maybe- the ageist comments are around because there are (possibly) more people over 50 who don't really take care of their weight, appearance and clothes, than there are younger people?

I don't know. I'm just always really surprised by younger posters who talk about 'my mum/aunt/gran even wears that'- then I find their mum is in fact younger than me! So I guess some MN are just very young......

Keztrel Wed 26-Jun-13 15:50:02

My mum's 60 and last Saturday she was wearing black straight leg jeans with black ankle boots and a drapey, burgundy All Saints jumper - she looked fantastic and I'm going to steal her jumper as soon as I can.

DramaAlpaca Wed 26-Jun-13 15:50:04

I'm 49, live in jeans & have no intention of giving them up.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now