What do you think of a teenager at a wedding in jeans?

(57 Posts)

We have a family wedding coming up.

DS1 who is nearly 13 lives in jeans or scout trousers and t-shirts, hoodies, really casual stuff and is not interested in clothes at all. I asked him to choose chinos and smart shirt for the wedding, took him into Gap as he shunned other places, and he picked:

red, skinny jeans
checked smart shirt in several blues

They look great on him, but for a wedding??

My Mum thinks they're fine - she asked the bride to be who said 'as long as he's happy, he can wear what he likes' but I'm worried it will look wrong on the day and be too late!

saintmerryweather Wed 26-Jun-13 23:29:44

if i get married i think id prefer everyone was happy in what theyre wearing (as long as its not drab boring black, black is for funerals). so i wouldnt mind in the slightest. as long as my wedding party was dressed smartly i would be pleased to have some bright colours among my guests

OverAndAbove Thu 27-Jun-13 07:54:51

The bride says it's ok, and the boy's mum says it's ok? Then it's ok! Have a nice time, OP.

RainbowBob Thu 27-Jun-13 09:54:24

Haven't read the other comments - so apologies if I am repeating something - but red jeans sound great for a wedding. Faded blue ripped jeans - probably not! But the outfit you've described sounds perfect for a 13-year-old. My mum dressed my brothers, when they were a similar age, in Bermuda shorts (remember those?!) for my cousin's wedding as they refused to wear anything else, and she could not afford smart trousers. They looked fine - they sort of got away with it because they were young. Red jeans are so much more smart than cheap-o Bermudas. And about a million times more stylish!

I was prepared to say no way, but think that sounds great - not like he's wearing ripped blue jeans and a t-shirt! Much better to buy something he will wear again.

SoupDragon Thu 27-Jun-13 11:48:05

I'd probably make him wear a plain shirt rather than checked but [shrug]

curlew Thu 27-Jun-13 11:53:53

My ds has green chinos for "smart" and a linen jacket he loves that he bought in TKMaxx that seems to pull any outfit together.....

lillybloom Fri 28-Jun-13 22:22:16

TolliverGroat - my 11 yr old is the exact same!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now