What do you think of a teenager at a wedding in jeans?

(57 Posts)

We have a family wedding coming up.

DS1 who is nearly 13 lives in jeans or scout trousers and t-shirts, hoodies, really casual stuff and is not interested in clothes at all. I asked him to choose chinos and smart shirt for the wedding, took him into Gap as he shunned other places, and he picked:

red, skinny jeans
checked smart shirt in several blues

They look great on him, but for a wedding??

My Mum thinks they're fine - she asked the bride to be who said 'as long as he's happy, he can wear what he likes' but I'm worried it will look wrong on the day and be too late!

TidyDancer Tue 25-Jun-13 23:36:11

It wouldn't bother me at all. The outfit sounds nice. smile

I would probably give him the option of the kilt if you can afford the hire price, but I wouldn't worry otherwise.

You did the right thing checking with the bride.

curlew Tue 25-Jun-13 23:37:45

It depends what he's wearing on his feet, and on his attitude. Cheerful, chatty, engaged- jeans fine. Sullen, grunting, distant- jeans not fine.

Startail Wed 26-Jun-13 00:04:11

Brand new coloured jeans and a nice new shirt fine.

Denim jeans no.

Weddings need you to look like you have mad an effort. That the effort is something your comfortable in is fine.

Teen DD1 will wear a posh frock, but not uncomfable posh shoes (I don't do wedding hight heals either).

lillybloom Wed 26-Jun-13 07:18:20

i think it sounds a great outfit. I have managed to get my son into a suit for my friends wedding - although he is wearing trainers as I'll never get him in shoes.

Blue faded jeans and a logo T-shirt => really not making any effort and a bit rude
New coloured jeans and a shirt => making an effort and absolutely fine

In fact my teenaged cousin wore almost exactly this outfit in different colours to my wedding. My aunt was very worried that this was the smartest thing that she could manage to force him into so she checked with me and apologised, but I could not have cared less.

sparkle12mar08 Wed 26-Jun-13 07:28:22

As a parent of two boys I'd be disappointed he'd chosen jeans, albeit coloured ones, but in all honesty I'd be more grateful that he was still engaged in the process and happy to go. Someone up thread mentioned about attitude - if he's happy to be there and will be pleasant and polite to other guests and older relatives etc, I think you can count it as a win!

MrsShrek3 Wed 26-Jun-13 07:43:04

ds1 is the same age. he recently went to a family function in very similar stuff in his own choice of colour, but had a waistcoat on too. Looked amazing. the shirt had the colours of both jeans and waistcoat in. Is that an option if you feel he needs something "smarter"? I also agree fine btw, I'm discovering it is difficult to get it right for young teen boys' clothes for any kind of occasion. There's only casual stuff or very formal (and expensive) ime.

50ShadesOfMaybe Wed 26-Jun-13 09:56:10

Smart coloured jeans and nice shirt sounds fine to me. (Not faded denim, not a t-shirt.)

Would probably steer him away from trainers/converse on his feet for something more formal.

Yonihadtoask Wed 26-Jun-13 10:08:52

Sounds fine to me.

We went to a family redding earlier this year.

Dss(16) had a new suit, which he did need for other events, so fair enough.

Dss (13) wore coloured chinos, and a smart, casual jacket. Shoes were a bit smarter looking than vans.

DS (15) wore coloured jeans, checked shirt and some chelsea boots.

It would have been pointless to kit them all out in suits and smart shoes, which they would then grow out of having worn only the once.

They all looked smart and clean.

There were some guests in the church wearing actual blue denim jeans anyway, so I guess things are more relaxed.

Just make him put them away until the wedding so they look new and smart. You know what boys can do to jeans in a very short time! It wouldn't be great if they looked faded or scuffed at the knee. However the fact that they are red makes them a bit more trousery and less casual and with a nice shirt they will look great. Can you persuade him to wear a red skinny tie? He would look so cute cool.

Unless it's a really formal society wedding then I think new red jeans on a pre-teen / teenager are fine (blue denims would be too casual).

pictish Wed 26-Jun-13 10:18:26

Sounds good to me! Kids look weird in suits anyway.

IceAddict Wed 26-Jun-13 10:23:26

I think new red jeans sound fine, I think casual old jeans would not be right. Have a great time

They aren't 'jean' jeans are they? Not blue or black and denim so I think they would be fine with a smart shirt, especially for a young teen. It might be different for a full grown 19 yr old though. Potentially, Bright colours won't look out of place if there are going to be kilts too. It isn't like everybody will be in full black morning suits.

If the bride and her DH aren't bothered everybody else can take a running jump imo. They are the ones who will be looking at the wedding photos forever more and if they are happy who cares? I also think it would be a terrible waste of money to get a suit - when is your DS ever going to wear again before he grows out of it? Even hiring, if children's suits are available, is expensive and a waste of money.

(Off on a tangent, DS is 8 and wants to wear suits at almost every opportunity, so long as they are either brown or navy pinstripe and he can wear them with red Converse to look like the Tenth Doctor grin)

landofsoapandglory Wed 26-Jun-13 11:03:54

I've got 2 teen boys, they wouldn't have got the option of wearing jeans to a wedding. They know they have to wear certain outfits to certain events even if it is not their usual attire. We went to a wedding when DS1 was 16, he wore the suit he had worn to his Prom, and DS2(14at the time) wore formal navy pinstripe trousers, shirt and tie.

daisydoodoo Wed 26-Jun-13 11:19:41

could you not persuade him into navy chinos? they would be a bit more formal/weddingy, but still able to be dressed down with a t-shirt for after so he could get wear out of them.

We went to a wedding recently and both ds wore chinos, ds2 is 11 and wore smarter beige/tan ones from next with a gap checked shirt and collared cardigan (was feb so cooler weather) ds1 is 15 and wore navy chinos with a green checked shirt and a cotton knit jumper all from next.

They have worn the chinos since so would no longer be any good for a formal occasion but looked smart on the day.

Happymum22 Wed 26-Jun-13 13:57:48

In some ways because lots will be in kilts, the red may blend in.

Fine if the b&g aren't bothered but I wouldn't have been impressed if it had been my wedding. There should be occasions when we dress up. Casual and comfortable is fine for most days but I don't like that people now don't like to dress up at all. I would expect wedding/christening etc to involve a bit more effort than a night out with your mates kind of clothes.

The red jeans and shirt are being saved so they will still be 'new'. I love the idea of a bow tie or skinny red tie and DS1 raised his eyebrows in a 'yeah might be ok' type way!

We are having a dress rehearsal on sat am prior to shopping in the afternoon so will decide then if changes needed.

Thanks for replies, really helpful, I'm sticking to plan for red jeans for now!

YoniSingWhenYoureWinning Wed 26-Jun-13 22:28:02

I would find it a bit disrespectful, but I am quite po-faced.

BackforGood Wed 26-Jun-13 22:33:58

I think the thing is, you asked him to pick some chinos, but then you bought him the jeans.
With my ds I would have said... "Do you want me to buy you some smart new trousers {hold up chinos} or are you going to wear your school trousers?", therefore making the chinos the more acceptable (to him) option. By buying him a pair of red jeans, you have added that option into the mix.

tabulahrasa Wed 26-Jun-13 23:20:26

Just because kilts have colour in them it doesn't make them casual dress...they're formal wear and I think jeans no matter what colour or the age of the person is not ok.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now