Moroccan oil - is it all bollocks?

(18 Posts)
hiphapnap Thu 07-Aug-14 14:17:01

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

msrisotto Wed 26-Jun-13 17:22:53

Thanks all

SoggySummer Wed 26-Jun-13 12:21:18

I use this Shampoo and conditoner and think its amazing

www.homebargains.co.uk/products/6490-gum-hair-moroccan-argan-oil-shampoo-6-x-300ml.aspx

I buy it in home bargains (in store) at £2.99 each.

A close runner up I also use are Avon Argan oil shampoo and conditioner. Its quite cheap but I dont think its as good as the GUM stuff. I always have Avon spares in the cupboard incase I cant get to homebargains. Before I discovered the GUM stuff I thought this Avon stuff was amazing. The Avon stuff is cheap and ideal if on a budget - especially when they have their offers avonshop.co.uk/product/haircare/argan-oil/advance-techniques-360-nourishment-moroccan-argan-oil-shampoo.html?newdept=&s=frooglesearch&c=google&otc=AdvanceTechniques360NourishmentMoroccanArganOilShampoo&bnd=&

SoggySummer Wed 26-Jun-13 12:15:14

I swear by argan oil. I buy it from Amazon. I am naturally a brunette but have very blond highlights (to blend the grey) which can result in very dry hair - especially if I straighten or curl it. Argan oil has to be used sparingly but a teeny drop makes loads of difference.

I rub a small drop together in my hand then rub it through then bottom half of my hair before drying and styling. I then do the same once dry and styled instead of a wax.

A tiny 30ml bottle lasts me 2 or 3 months at least. You need hardly any at all. My hair has never been in such good condition since I have started using this.

I ran out the other week and bought £2.50 tiny tube from primarni just because I saw it and thought "ooh worth a try" - it was OK for the price. Better than nothing but not a patch on the proper Argan oil.

Ah, didn't realise you were talking about the shampoos as opposed to the oils. I'm using that shampoo and conditioner at the moment and they are good, however my hair isn't coloured or damaged as such, just dry and flyaway by nature. I am working my way through the Dr Organic range, have tried olive oil, rose, coconut, honey and argan so far (IIRC), argan is definitely one of the better ones although they have all been pretty good. I use the soaps, handwashes and handcream as well. The manuka honey soap is fabulous <digresses>.

You can buy pure Argan oil in H&B too but it's about £12.

JazzDalek Wed 26-Jun-13 10:38:20

The ingredients list is there, and these lists are quantitative. So there's not really much argan in there, but as shampoo ingredients go, that sounds pretty nice.

It's just a shampoo, so I wouldn't expect miracles, but the price is great so why not!

msrisotto Wed 26-Jun-13 09:59:56

This is the one I was thinking of buying but annoyingly. It doesn't make clear actually how much oil there is in it.

JazzDalek Wed 26-Jun-13 09:49:46

I do like Lush hair masks, although they disconned my beloved Arabian Bright years ago, and Jasmine & Henna Fluff-Ease doesn't work nearly as well for me sad

But I bought one called Roots from there a few weeks ago, and that was pretty excellent. £10ish but the pot did me four overnight treatments and made a huge difference to my hair.

JazzDalek Wed 26-Jun-13 09:46:57

As Trills says, Morrocanoil = a branded product, expensive, effective but contains lots of silicates and only a small amount of argan oil
Argan oil = a pure oil, available unbranded from many sellers, is an effective conditioner for hair and skin but don't expect miracles

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 26-Jun-13 08:21:20

It doesn't work on me.

I use Aveda damage remedy and that is good. I use the leave in conditioner and normal conditioner.

Trills Wed 26-Jun-13 08:13:54

The branded "Moroccanoil" has hardly any argan oil in it.

I tried both, the branded type and "100% argan oil", and nether did much for me.

I love it, but just use a tiny amount or it can make your hair look greasy.

southeastastra Wed 26-Jun-13 07:58:13

i use it for my dry hair, love it

I bought some in a souk in morocco smile
I use it on my hair- I found its great for conditioning and also reducing grey, bizarrely. But I give my hair a rest from it every so often, as it seems to build up after a few weeks.

TheBirdsFellDownToDingADong Wed 26-Jun-13 07:43:23

If you do decide to go with Argan just buy it from amazon. I buy from Naissance and get a bottle for about £5. Organic. Ditto their rosehip.

In the stores you are paying for the brand mark up/advertising and the shop mark up + the fancy bottle.

Haven't used on hair, but it's fab for wrinkles.

Neither argan or coconut did my hair any good, just left it dull and lifeless. Lush do a hair mask called Jasmine and Henna Fluff Eaze which makes a huge difference to the condition of mine.

ZaraW Wed 26-Jun-13 07:32:11

I have organic argan oil though I have to say coconut oil is just as good maybe even better and so much cheaper.

msrisotto Tue 25-Jun-13 18:15:45

I damaged my hair a few months ago by having it dyed twice in 2 weeks (to repair the godawful stripe job one hairdresser did to it). Fr the repair I went to a bloody expensive salon and bought their bloody expensive repair shampoo and conditioner. When I run out, I don't want to spend so much again so am looking out for good alternatives. I have heard a lot about Moroccan Argan oil which is cheap enough in Holland and Barretts....is it good? If not, do you have any other suggestions? Thanks!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now