Is it just me or are the shops really shite atm

(24 Posts)
Sonotkylie Tue 25-Jun-13 18:08:57

Thank you. Due to massive car problems I am without my trusty auto and borrowing a small and slow car (very grateful for it, but ...) so I can't range as far as usual and can't get to real shops as we live in shop free rural area. I haven't therefore been shopping since before Easter holidays and I've been really cross about it. I know its shallow but I'm missing the occasional potter in a good shopping centre/ town with a browse in my favourite shops. But clearly I'm missing nothing. Thank you for making me feel better!
Obviously I have managed to spend ... There is the internet, its not the Wild West!

FacebookWanker Tue 25-Jun-13 17:49:48

That's ok. I also quite like these shops...

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/Zoeslollipop

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/RetroGiara

LifeofPo Tue 25-Jun-13 17:46:40

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

FacebookWanker Tue 25-Jun-13 17:43:43

www.etsy.com/uk/shop/idea2lifestyle?ref=seller_info_count

When I ordered the skirt I thought it would be a standard size, but she emailed me to get my measurements. I'm pleased because I didn't realise my waist has increase 3inches since having DD, and I'm on the short side, so it's great to have something that's exactly the length I need.

CambridgeBlue Tue 25-Jun-13 17:37:25

It's not just you. I've had 3 trips out in the past couple of months to big cities with a good range of shops and each time I've come home with nothing. The stuff I like is ridiculously overpriced or too similar to things I already own or only OK so not really worth the bother - ever since I promised myself I'd only buy things I love I've been really stuck!

I think there is a huge gap in the market for reasonably priced, stylish but not height-of-fashion-trendy clothes for woman in their 30s and 40s. Nowhere seems to cater for what I want any more - it's either too pricey, too frumpy, too dull or too likely to set on fire should I stand near a naked flame grin

LifeofPo Tue 25-Jun-13 17:36:38

FacebookWanker Tue 25-Jun-13 17:35:53

www.etsy.com/uk/

Here you go. It's really addictive.

LifeofPo Tue 25-Jun-13 17:32:58

Startail Tue 25-Jun-13 17:26:29

Yes, heels, my modest wedge sandals were about the highest thing on anyones feet in town today.

So why can't I find a pair of nice looking, padded flat sandals.

LifeofPo Tue 25-Jun-13 17:25:21

FacebookWanker Tue 25-Jun-13 17:03:03

I can never see anything in the shops that takes my fancy. I've just bought a skirt from Etsy that I really love and it was tailor made for me. Considering that, and the good quality fabric, it was really good value. I'll have to buy one thing per month though, due to budget, but there are loads of clothes that are to my taste.

FleurEtParoles Tue 25-Jun-13 17:01:58

Oh can I join the rant?
- shops full of high heels with a tiny corner left for all other shoes (have a look around the city centre and nobody wears high heels if they have to actually walk)
- design (absolutely boooooring in every shop). Are these rags?
- 3/4 sleeves (just can't stand them)
- shops putting all winter clothes away in February and filling with summer clothes, not even in Morocco do they start so early. Then shops complain because people are not buying.
- skinny jeans (I am sorry? Is this a size 22, ahem, "skinny" that I am holding?) They are ok for my 12 yo daughter, I can't stand them, and I am a size 10. NO thanks. I want comfortable stuff.
- quality: clearly all "Far Eastern", sorry to say. Wash the items twice and they will twist, buttons come off and fall apart.
angry

soggyryvita Tue 25-Jun-13 17:00:59

Nope, not just you. Am totally uninspired just about everywhere I go. And agree, all that flipping sweaty polyester. At the best of times that would be grim, but for warmer weather, clingy and nasty.

LifeofPo Tue 25-Jun-13 16:58:36

Lottapianos Tue 25-Jun-13 16:46:12

And for the love of sanity, stop making coats and jackets that look like hot water tank lagging covers! Cut clothes with a bit of shape for fork's sake! Trying to find a coat or jacket that has an actual waist shape instead of just being one big puff or box is like trying to find the Holy Grail

dumbelina Tue 25-Jun-13 16:38:39

Oh and can they please stop putting random pockets on the boob area! I am not under-endowed and don't really want a couple of highlighters on my chest. Every t-shirt and blouse I picked up last week had at least one badly placed chest pocket.

Startail Tue 25-Jun-13 16:35:20

Oh and prices £35-40 for what is basically a T shirt is not on.

Startail Tue 25-Jun-13 16:33:53

Welling = selling

Startail Tue 25-Jun-13 16:31:38

Spent the day wandering round the shops.
Polyester, colours that are too bright or too pale.

White stuff, next, animal and Debenhams welling exactly the same style tops they have for the last 5 years.

Please can we have a change from yokes frills and buttons.

chanie44 Tue 25-Jun-13 16:25:06

Yep, I agree, Since having dd last August, I've been updating my wardrobe, but nothing is inspiring me. It's not like I'm looking for high fashion items either - but everything looks horrible.

FadBook Tue 25-Jun-13 16:18:19

Totally agree.

Pastels everywhere and not one colour that suits me.

A lots of skinny jeans which I'm not keen on either.

Lottapianos Tue 25-Jun-13 16:15:27

Shops are always shite IMHO. I get sick of struggling to find anything that is cut to accommodate and flatter a pair of boobs, a bum and a bit of a gut. 90% of the stuff seems to be designed for 14 year olds with flat stomachs and endless legs.

And is it just me or has quality gone totally and completely down the pan? Places like Next used to be ok, but today I'm wearing a t-shirt that I bought from there that I have worn 3-4 times and it's going bobbly already hmm

dumbelina Tue 25-Jun-13 16:14:26

I just hate the polyester as far as the eye can see. Especially in Next at the the moment. Whats wrong with a bit of cotton?

LifeofPo Tue 25-Jun-13 16:08:47

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now