Is this dress really 'mumsy'

(63 Posts)
TheEarlOf Sat 22-Jun-13 17:41:42

http://www.gap.co.uk/browse/product.do?cid=92893&vid=1&pid=000351465001

Would this dress age me prematurely?? (I'm in my 20s...)

SnoopyLovesYou Sat 29-Jun-13 01:10:02

I didn't see the photo of you but I actually like the dress. It's cool casual. Grey can be great with an interesting/colourful face. It's a colour I like wearing because it emphasises my eyes. In fact hang on I may have to buy this myself ;-)

Ujjayi Fri 28-Jun-13 23:37:54

I tried the dress in blue after seeing rave reviews on here. It looks very mumsy on me and made my size 8-10 figure look chunky. Marginally better when the neckline is pulled off one shoulder rather than cowled but I just felt it was a bit meh tbh.

DIddled Fri 28-Jun-13 23:33:21

I tried it on in grey and blue. hmmmm - disappointed it was very floppy and droopy. I usually love gap- and bought a different maxi from there- but this one wasn't great. I am size 12 5 foot 4 and age 42 if it helps.

Newrowsees Fri 28-Jun-13 23:30:35

I have it in blue and I love it. In fact I'm wearing it tomorrow!

TheEarlof what did you decide?

Chottie Sun 23-Jun-13 20:44:11

Sorry, a no from me. I am sure there is another more flattering dress out there for you.

just seen it now!
I don't love it but I don't hate it. the only bit I'm not sure on its the cowl neck

Probably too late, but I just bought that in the orange. It will need some smoothing pants underneath, but TBH I think it suits my rather larger bust much better than the model.

They didn't have any grey in our shop, but it's not a colour I'd choose to wear a long dress in. A bit drab for me.

FrugalFashionista Sun 23-Jun-13 18:23:40

The dress is an odd hybrid between jogging clothes (the drawstring) and a grecian dress and a nun's habit. The material is not top notch and it shows - it does not drape beautifully. I would definitely return it. OP, you have a great body but I would accessorize this dress with a wimple, rosary and sensible shoes wink

flipchart Sun 23-Jun-13 18:04:31

The dress doesn't flatter you.
I would save your money and get something that really looks good on you.
Don't buy something just because it is cheap.

mirpuppet Sun 23-Jun-13 17:58:52

I think the colour kills it.

It is raved about on other threads -- I think it i sthe gap drapey dress thread.

I tried it and it did nothing for me.

I think it looks good with a denim jacket and accessorised.

Other than that it is a no.

The blue was a much better colour. I tried the blue and the gray.

Annebronte Sun 23-Jun-13 17:56:36

I think it's lovely, but you need the size down.

TheEarlOf Sun 23-Jun-13 17:54:05

primallass I haven't seen it mentioned before on S&B? Is it in a maxi thread?

TheEarlOf Sun 23-Jun-13 17:52:01

I've put the pic up again, can you see it now?

primallass Sun 23-Jun-13 15:24:28

It's funny that the response has been 'no' because that dress is raved about on other threads in S&B.

agh i can't see it?

TheEarlOf Sun 23-Jun-13 13:41:38

browneyedpixie I've put it up temporariy while I go to the shop to see if I can find it in another colour (plus I can get an extra 20% off it today)

I missed it! Only keep if you think you'll wear it, £20 wasted otherwise and there are lots of other bargain maxis smile

TheEarlOf Sat 22-Jun-13 22:49:20

Paulapantsdown don't worry! I have taken the picture down hence why it's disappeared! I think I shall sleep on it then try it on again tomorrow and maybe return it. I think there's so much material beacuse I bought an S (it being the only size in the shop - as it's on sale) and S in gap is more a M in other shops hence the excess material

God sorry OP, I dodnt realise you had posted a picture of it. I cant see it, but didnt mean to imply that YOU were not pretty etc!!!! I am sure you are. I just meant that in relation to me (fat and ugly), she looked great.

Herhonesty Sat 22-Jun-13 22:34:45

I think there is a reason it's in the sale. Sorry.

I saw my friend wearing this the other day, with white converse, cropped denim jacket and a couple of big bangles. She looked sooooo good in it.

She is however, very very petite, has amazing black hair and is very pretty.

FishCalledWonder Sat 22-Jun-13 22:29:46

Looks like it swamps your lovely slim shape. Sorry, not a fan.

Sorry no, does nothing for you - baggy & drab

primallass Sat 22-Jun-13 22:05:38

I love it Earlof.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now