How do you deforest your foof without getting spots?

(46 Posts)
TheCameliousHumph Fri 21-Jun-13 12:29:17

even just the edges? shaving and cream does the same. 24 hours later all zitty. How? Why? and with an impending holiday in a hot place what the chuff do I do about it?

MrsLettuce Fri 21-Jun-13 21:22:23

Oh goodness. Right. Erm.

Firstly you need to trim as short as possible (I use a mustache trimmer thing)

Then, a load of conditioner on, aim shower head and shave slowly and gently with the grain.

If you are feeling very brave the apply more conditioner, aim shower and shave against the grain. Is not without risk of irritation.

MrsLettuce Fri 21-Jun-13 21:16:54

Yes, conditioner (or oil) Definitely. Razors for men are better than 'ladies' razors, they're sharper 'cause they're designed to deal with thicker hairs and a denser growth. Having under a hot flow of water really does help a lot too.

But, you lot aren't shaving against the direction of hair growth are you?shock

thenightsky Fri 21-Jun-13 21:13:17

But if you shave with the grain, rather than against, I get left with loads of quite long hairs.

PassTheCremeEggs Fri 21-Jun-13 20:56:28

Use normal hair conditioner instead of shaving gel, it really works! Make sure you have a new blade, and run it over each bit of skin only once without pushing on the skin, just stroke the razor over it. The more time you over one bit the more irritated it will get. Hot shower works well to soften skin but don't forget it opens up the pores so a cold blast afterwards is good to close them and stop any bacteria getting in which can cause irritation. Finally, try shaving with the grain rather than against. All of these tips helped me.

Aetae Fri 21-Jun-13 20:52:27

Girl board shorts are the way forward! No deforestation required (I have the same problem, don't bother with hair removal any more down there as I always end up with a rash that lasts for about 2 weeks). I have the little short ones.

FoofFighter Fri 21-Jun-13 20:48:16

I don't want to be defrosted sad

OrangeLily Fri 21-Jun-13 20:36:35

The only thing that ever works totally for me is hot waxing rather than strip waxing. I tend to keep mine short with an electric razor... Normal razors are just a huge no no for me!!

thenightsky Fri 21-Jun-13 20:33:42

MrsLettuce... which deo are you using? Mine sting like buggery after shaving pits.

reggiebean Fri 21-Jun-13 19:54:35

Talisin looking forward to the review!!

reggiebean Fri 21-Jun-13 19:53:59

Totally Yes, but it lasts forever (that old Chesnut...). Seriously, I bought it in December, and it's still more than half full.

TheCameliousHumph Fri 21-Jun-13 19:52:52

I love esther Williams swimsuits but sadly a bit pricey for me.

Will try deforesting more often and some deodorant.

And knit faster.

KateCroydon Fri 21-Jun-13 19:35:53

Esther Williams swimsuits. HTH.

primallass Fri 21-Jun-13 19:32:58

I totally have the problem in my pits angry

MrsLettuce Fri 21-Jun-13 18:51:34

Honestly, try ladies deodorant. It's brill. Almost no one has these problems in their pits but it's the same type of hair and equally sensitive skin.

MadBusLady Fri 21-Jun-13 18:51:33

They have it in Croydon? Baaaaaaa!

<jumps on 75 bus>

Will look forward to your review.

moggle Fri 21-Jun-13 18:45:27

I get this too it is crap :-( but I find the more frequently I do it, the better. Tidying up the edges the morning of flight for a skiing holiday (hot tub) = nightmare rash and whiteheads, but this spring i made the effort to shave every few days over the month before a holiday to Egypt and by the time we went away it was pretty much fine. Have forgotten to keep it up now though so am back to square one...

Talisin Fri 21-Jun-13 18:26:35

MadBus & reggie I've literally just got back from the giant Boots in Croydon where I finally managed to track down some inhibitif. Will review here in a few weeks. I can live with the price if it works!

NickECave Fri 21-Jun-13 17:17:58

Veet every time. Shaving always leave some spots

reggie - £29?!?!?!

sweetheart Fri 21-Jun-13 15:20:12

I use Veet. I know some people have had problems with it but it works perfectly for me every time with no irritation. I use scissors to tidy up whatever is left behind.

MrsLettuce Fri 21-Jun-13 15:11:20

yy to shaving with oil or conditioner. Also, shaving with hot water from the shower directed over the area really helps.

MrsLettuce Fri 21-Jun-13 15:09:51

I always apply womens' roll on deodorant to the freshly deforested area straight after shaving / waxing and again if I feel any itchiness / irritation. It soothes beautifully, stops itching straight aways and seems to prevent spots and ingrowing hairs.

I know it sounds odd at first thought but it is designed to be applied to sensitive skin that's been deforested, it's actually entirely logical that it works.

reggiebean Fri 21-Jun-13 15:05:06

MadBuss I'm quite curious about it too, but can't seem to find any "honest" reviews online...

reggiebean Fri 21-Jun-13 15:04:08

It's expensive, but I swear by this. Put it on straight after shaving, it makes a world of difference! Also, try shaving with shaving oil, I think that helps me too.

fedupofnamechanging Fri 21-Jun-13 14:58:30

I shave and then have a bath with some dettol in it, to kill any bacteria and to soothe the skin.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now