I know nothing about skincare and it shows. Please advise me!

(20 Posts)
soverylucky Thu 20-Jun-13 18:35:55

My skin is a horrid mess. I have always had horrible skin since my teens - very bad acne. I now have the odd spot but my biggest problem is massive open pores. When I put foundation on (no matter what type) it clogs in the pores so I have loads of foundation coloured clumps/spots on my face.
I use cheap face washes - at the moment I use something from the body shop with tea tree oil in it. I don't think it actually cleans deep down. I have never had a facial in my life and I haven't a clue about what I should/shouldn't be doing.
Should I do oil cleanse? Should I buy that weird purple cloth thing? Should I get a clarisonic or whatever it is called? Do I cleanse then moisturise or is that old now? what about exfoliators?

Any advice or product recommendations would be great. I can spend a grand total of about £60 but could stretch to more for a guaranteed miracle of clear skin!

Allthingspretty Thu 20-Jun-13 19:35:39

A primer will probably stop foundation sinking in and Clinique have a spot range with products for pores.

QuinnFabray Thu 20-Jun-13 19:38:28

La Roche Posay! I have oily ageing skin that suffers from blackheads and open pores. My skin has massively improved since double cleansing, toning, exfoliating and moisturising.

Here's my routine:

Morning: Cleanse in the shower using a mild facial wash. At the moment I'm using Clinique liquid soap. Going to try a La Roche Posay one next. Then I tone using either La Roche Posay soothing toner or La Roche Posay effaclar toner if I'm feeling clogged up or oily. Then I use a treatment cream, which is basically a chemical exfoliant ( salicylic acid is great for blackheads ), La Roche posay Effaclar K or Effaclar Duo. Then primer, then foundation.

Evening: Double cleanse - first with a cream cleanser to remove make up, then the Clinique facial soap again. Using a flannel. Then toning again, then Effaclar treatment cream, then some kind of facial oil. I like Clarins Lotus or Dr Hauschka normalising day oil ( although I only use it at night ), or Trilogy Rosehip.

Basically, the double cleansing, plus the toning ( which is basically an extra cleansing step ) has really helped my skin stay clear. Plus the introduction of chemical exfoliant treatment. Salicylic acid treatments seem to really help.

The La Roche Posay stuff is roughly £11 or £12 an item, and often on 3 for 2 offer at Boots. Never tried a dud product from them.

MrsLettuce Thu 20-Jun-13 19:45:33

Cleansing needs to be your top priority I think. Well, for all of us actually. If you wear foundation you'll need to 'double cleanse' - remove makeup then actually clean the skin (preferably with a wash off cleanser and a muslin). If you've not got sensitve skin then any old cream cleanser will do for the first bit. Using a toner after cleansing will remove any left over residue of cleanser / grime.

My skin is a right PITA (awfully dry) and the stuff I use isn't available in the UK anyway, but plenty of my friends with more 'normal' skin types swear by the Clinique 3 step system. La Roche-Posay is meant to be great but I've not tried it myself. Maybe over budget.

MrsLettuce Thu 20-Jun-13 19:46:14

x posts. oops.

Vibbe Thu 20-Jun-13 20:02:47

Clinique do intro sets for their 3 step systems - they're £20.

I use the anti blemish version of the 3 step system. It's fine for my skin (which is dehydrated and oily at the same time, have had problems with loads of spots, but they are getting better and staying away when I use the clinique products).
The other versions of the 3 step system are too harsh for my skin. And the cream in those sets is simply too much for my skin - it makes it even more oily, which is not a great look.

A primer will probably help you with the foundation. I'd make sure to get an oil-free one if I was you.

MrsLettuce Thu 20-Jun-13 20:07:36

You'll need to find a cleanser that doesn't dry your skin - tis very important.

If too much oil is stripped away it'll force your skin to produce even more make the oiliness worse. If you're skin feels at all tight after the wash off cleanser then it's too harsh and yo need something milder.

soverylucky Thu 20-Jun-13 20:40:11

Thanks so much for the replies. I am going to boots tomorrow and will check out the la roche-posay.
which primer do you think is best? I have a loreal studio secrets thing which is like poly filler which worked well to begin with but doesn't seem to do much now.???

QuinnFabray Fri 21-Jun-13 07:21:04

Mrslettuce, we basically said the same thing smile

Ruralninja Fri 21-Jun-13 07:33:41

I would stay away from Clinique if you have oily skin as it is very harsh and cab cause skin to over-produce oil. Clarisonic is probably a good idea, as are glycolic acid products. how about investing in a course of six facials to get you on track too? I agree La Roche Posay & Clarins are ace

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 21-Jun-13 07:50:55

I'd go for a Retin A cream off the gp or you can buy it off amazon, a daily sunscreen (essential for retin a users anyway or you will burn),and a hot cloth cleanser.

Superdrug hot cloth cleanser £6ish, buy a supply of Muslins from the baby aisle and cut into quarters so budget £10 extra for them.

Superdrug factor 50spf non oily sunblock £5.

Retin A cream £12. Follow instructions to the letter. Nothing from my dr worked for acne. I started on 0.025, then 0.05 and now I'm waiting for 0.1% to arrive.

soverylucky Fri 21-Jun-13 10:30:16

just been to boots and got some la roche posay cleanser - I got the wash off one. I got the toner and the duo cream too. Lets see what happens. Thanks all for your advice.

MrsLettuce Fri 21-Jun-13 11:02:45

Do you already have something for removing the make-up at home. Double cleansing really is important.

soverylucky Fri 21-Jun-13 16:14:58

no I don't - what should I get - can I not use the cleanser to do that?

CarolBornAMan Fri 21-Jun-13 16:17:30

I would think about a clarisonic as this would sort out the skin problems and the get rid of need for products to disguise the issues. My skin never been better since i started to use mine and it is great for spots and open pores - bit more expensive than the products but if it resolves the problem, means you are not buying stuff to cover it.. I never use foundation any more as my skin is so lovely <smug preen - shame the rest of me is a disaster!)

coffeeinbed Fri 21-Jun-13 16:27:10

Anything with retin will help with the blackheads and the spots as well.
I would try Diacneal - or it might be called Triacneal now.
It's Avene.
It's anti acne and has a great brightening and clearing effect.
If you think you might be sentitive then Ysteal - same company.

CharlotteBronteSaurus Fri 21-Jun-13 16:31:46

I have just started using a la roche posay cleanser and moisturiser. my skin is already slightly improved after a week. I have also started using a clearasil salicylic acid thing on the actual spots, which is also helping.

Clinique 3-step and oil cleansing did nothing for me - the former was too drying, the latter too greasy.

evertonmint Fri 21-Jun-13 16:35:17

I was a little in your position recently. I would clean with a face wash and moisturise, but my skin looked ropey and I realised I needed to up my game.

There is so much guff written and spoken about skincare and people's skin varies so much that I thought it better to find out more before I committed my pennies. I would suggest you do two things first:

1) Have a facial. Dermalogica and Clarins, and I'm sure others, do facials where they can tailor it to your skin type. Don't come out buying all the products they recommend but do ask them as many questions as you can about your skin - are you oily all over or just combination, is your skin dehydrated, is it sensitive. Look at the products they recommend and then see if you can find similar by other brands that may be more your price range

2) Read. Before I bought anything, I did some reading about products, routines, skin types etc - I like Sali Hughes in the Guardian and recently had a thread on here asking for other beauty bloggers to read. It has really helped me start to understand brands, products, skin types, routines etc. Rather than making expensive mistakes with products that made my skin worse, I have been able to buy a few things that have really helped already. Sali Hughes in particular is good at recommending a mix of prices. Thanks to her I am using a very cheap Simple cleanser which works great for me whereas I might have thought I woudl need to spend more to get results.

You might want to check out Avene products in Boots. I have read so many good things about it, so committed the £8 for a cleanser and it is really lovely. They do a few products for oily, spot-prone skin so worth taking a look at.

I have dry skin so won't say which products as they'll be useless for you, but here's a routine to give you a rough idea of what I am doing

Morning:
Cream cleanser washed off with muslin cloth and warm water
Serum
Moisturiser
SPF
Make up if I'm wearing any (but I rarely wear it and my skin looks so much better that if I do it's just mascara and lippy rather than foundation etc.)

Evening:
Just started to double cleanse now I'm wearing SPF to make sure it's all off
Serum
Oil and/or Moisturiser - I sometimes do both oil and moisturiser but that is because my skin is dry - both would probably be too much for oily skin I imagine

I'm 3 weeks in and my skin looks and feels so much better. A few carefully chosen products, and a routine carried out properly, makes a HUGE difference, very quickly.

MrsLettuce Fri 21-Jun-13 17:00:50

OP - WRT double cleansing - Quin and I explained that in the first couple of replies. Any old cream cleanser will do (assuming you don't have sensitive skin) no need for anything fancy. You need ot use it to remove the foundation before you use the wash off cleanser or you're not going to get your skin properly clean.

Fluffycloudland77 Fri 21-Jun-13 21:11:15

You know sun creams not meant to over other creams really? It needs to bond with the skin to form the shield so I do SPF, then primer then foundation.

People who ID me for alcohol and paracetamol hmm tell me I look early twenties, which coincidentally is the age I started using sun cream every day.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now