How to dress a 15 years old girl for 1 day at Canary Warf?

(35 Posts)
Dontlikepink Wed 19-Jun-13 21:18:11

All opinions welcome

When my daughter did work experience we had exactly the same issue especially as she was very curvasious.believe it or not a personal shopper in derben hams helped us out as she saw us i store....tan trousers and white / cream top...I can't remember but she wore it many times after....totally appreciate the issue but it has to be smart casual and more importantly she has to feel nice and relaxed in the outfit herself.go in and try a few on .i would never have picked those trousers and was looking at greys,navy etc..good luck

KristinaM Mon 24-Jun-13 09:50:14

How did her day go and what did she wear?

Eastpoint Fri 21-Jun-13 22:23:16

We have had this same dilemma - DD wore a black blazer - from Top Shop, bought to wear last Xmas holidays with a blue & white spotty shirt buttoned up completely from Abercrombie & fitted black trousers & brown loafers. No point in spending a fortune on an outfit for one day IMO.

Dozer Fri 21-Jun-13 22:18:15

Yy to not looking bored.

Dozer Fri 21-Jun-13 22:17:24

Any smart skirt or trousers and top or suit will be fine!

Flat shoes for the tube. Bag big enough to fit a notebook and any bumph she's given in.

grin kristinam. It's fun having teens in the office, We recently had a young man who'd competed with many others to get the placement, he was so LOUD! Would do things like shout across the office "hey, Margaret, have you got my email yet?": Margaret was not amused.

KristinaM Fri 21-Jun-13 17:26:35

You are over thinking this. She doesn't need to look individual or express her personality through her clothing.she needs to fit in. And she's not a child, she's a young women. Many of our parents generation were out earring a living at 15

A darkish plainish dress/smart trousers/knee length skirt will be fine.it doesn't t need to be black, dark grey,navy, aubergine etc is ok . Team with a smart ish top or blouse. Not a t shirt or jersey top ( like the next one you linked to )

Subtle make up, discrete jewellry, no short skirt or see through blouses. No underwear that shows through clothing. No bare legs . If its hot on the tube she can take them off before her journey home

No one ever didn't get a job in the city because they looked too consevative or boring.

She needs to stand out by her behaviour, not her clothes. She shoudl be very polite, listen well, ask intelligent questions, be willing to help, show enthusiasm and NOT LOOK BORED even if she is.not complain. Be early every day. Not continually ask when coffee beak /lunch is. Not use her phone or even consult it in the office.not discuss any aspect of her private life at all except her education and her career plans. No talk of boyfriends,friends, shopping, parties, getting drunk , hair , make up.

These things will mark her out from 90% of most other work placement students .

MotionCity Fri 21-Jun-13 16:49:10

For a vacation scheme in a city law firm when I was 19/20ish (this was only 4-5 years ago!) I wore things like this. Admittedly, the dresses I got had more of an a-line skirt than a pencil skirt, which felt more age-appropriate. Deceptively comfortable, no worries about getting top and bottom to match, smart, and not too expensive.

Dontlikepink Fri 21-Jun-13 16:39:42

Pendulum, the dress is really gorgeous though -the detail and the colour... It's one of those gems. I am too tall for M&S dresses sad

MadBusLady Fri 21-Jun-13 16:24:49

Yes, neat ponytail fine. I think I'm wrong about navy ballet pumps though, think they should just be black (patent maybe).

Dontlikepink Fri 21-Jun-13 16:16:10

Out of a range of things, she liked the suit most, so she should be the most comfortable in it. Her school uniform is also a blue suit.

Hair...
She usually wears a pony tail and I think this is just fine.

Pendulum Fri 21-Jun-13 14:48:28

The dress I linked to is navy, but I take your point. I like the trouser suit a lot. The jacquard skirt is a bit short going by the shot of the model I think.

MadBusLady Fri 21-Jun-13 12:58:18

That's a lovely trouser suit! On a slim young girl I imagine that will look gorgeous - fresh and a bit androgynous and not too "trying to be an adult". With navy ballet pumps or maybe loafer type things? Would she feel comfortable in a suit, do you think? I think confidence with business attire comes from wearing things close to what you normally wear.

Dontlikepink Fri 21-Jun-13 12:40:25

Well, I am trying to reconcile formal business city look, with non-sexual 15 yo school girl, with a style that fits and suits well. So that she looks individual, confident and like she belongs there.

Black figure hugging dresses are a bit too sexual. I realize they are mute for a mature woman, but on her it will look like she is trying to be a woman. She doesn't try yet. Black doesn't suit her and she hates it.

Most dresses are too short because DD is very tall - 5'8 (177 cm). So we really need to find the piece that looks and fits the part.

I really like this skirt with this blouse. Or is it too casual?

Then we'll have to go for a formal trouser suit. I like this. That's what I mean by a "professional child". Is it too casual too?

Or would you go for the
plain skirt like this with a classic blouse? Might be OK

Pendulum Fri 21-Jun-13 10:12:24

A shift-type dress with flats or low heels would be my bet. Possibly more versatile than a blouse and skirt combo too- could be recycled for a wedding or other family event?

I recently bought this for work which is fab and the kind of thing I am thinking of.

Just reading other messages. HUGE no no to leggings. CW is an extension of the city. Leggings do not belong.

Ps colour doesn't matter. I wouldn't go for a huge print, though. One of my nicest dresses for work is a red skater dress from dotty p.

I work for a major bank there - currently in another office, and on maternity - but my work uniform is a nice dress and shoes. Nothing too high on the knee or low cut.

Missbopeep Fri 21-Jun-13 08:36:51

But the point surely is that she needs to dress as if she was working- so later on in life she will presumably need to wear smart trousers and a smart top- or dress? There must be lots of dresses in H&M, etc which she likes and with a cardigan look nice?

Dontlikepink Thu 20-Jun-13 21:52:52

Yes, I raided the online sales of a respectable high street store and found a selection to try on: an a-line skirt, a dress, a couple of blouses and a suit. Let's see how she looks in those. They are all white/navy though as DD hates black and it does not suit her complexion. I hope that isn't a faux pas.

The dress and the skirt are more like sophisticated smart casual - too smart for a real teenager, but not looking like a schoolgirl dressed up as a banker smile. Need to try on to figure it out.

Interestingly, the suit with buttoned up blouse might look the most like "professional child".

Passthecake30 Thu 20-Jun-13 20:22:06

I remember work experience...dressing up in my sisters clothes looking a right state! What about a black a-line skirt, or smart black crops, top/shirt and ballet pumps?

heronsfly Thu 20-Jun-13 18:59:30

My DD did something similar for her work experience, she wore short smartish dresses with leggings and a casual blazer on top.
We did try on a couple of basic work suits, but as you say she looked too old for her years.

mirpuppet Thu 20-Jun-13 18:54:21

coloured jeans or chinos -- I think to casual.

Dontlikepink Thu 20-Jun-13 13:53:44

Thanks for all your comments.

I know slim trousers look sophisticated and professional, especially on slim legs with a good brand cut. However my daughter has full thighs, so like on me, slim fit looks awful on her. Pencil skirts are a no go for the same reason- they pull up on the thighs when sited and look dreadful.

Are this season's coloured jeans or chinos acceptable as smart casual or must the trousers be loose fitting formal style?

ajandjjmum Thu 20-Jun-13 07:51:26

DD did work experience for a week over the summer in Canary Wharf. She wore a dress and cardigan or skirt and blouse - basically 6th Form school wear.

She loved it - hope your DD has fun!

MadBusLady Thu 20-Jun-13 07:45:00

I think maybe the "too old" blouses are what you want, simpler the better. I'm not sure you can look like a professional child smile

Above all, layers for temperature extremes and shoes she can trudge around in.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now