seche vite lifting off nail in sheets

(11 Posts)
eggybrokenoff Wed 19-Jun-13 16:31:52

bought myself a really good top coat in hope i could look professionally polished doing it at home. it is a wonder on toes but on fingers it just keeps lifting off from nail tip in sheets - sometimes whole nail colour comes off in one go. any ideas?

YoniMitchell Wed 19-Jun-13 16:38:27

Gah, I've noticed this too! I wondered if it was the polish I was using, so have tried with a few different brands (cheap to expensive) and it's still happening!

I wonder if it's a case of putting too much on? If I top up the top coat/try to tidy them up after a few days it's more likely to happen.

Actually though, I went into Boots to buy another bottle and couldn't see any - where did you get yours eggybrokenoff?

calilark Wed 19-Jun-13 16:48:28

SV does this - amazing at first but then peels. You could try the Essie Good to Go topcoat which is better than SV imo.

Other option would be to try 'sticky sandwich' where you layer your colour with a sticky basecoat like the Leighton Denny one (M&S sell it) which gives good longlasting results

eggybrokenoff Wed 19-Jun-13 16:59:36

amazon yoni.

IAmOptimusPrime Wed 19-Jun-13 17:17:18

This used to happen to me but since I've started using a basecoat it's stopped. No idea why! I use essie all in one base.

IAmOptimusPrime Wed 19-Jun-13 17:18:29

Oh and I also give my nails a quick wipe with nail varnish remover before I paint them.

eggybrokenoff Thu 20-Jun-13 12:40:56

i use an essie base but one of the treatment ones. maybe it is too oily or something. bit disappointed with it really - might have to try another decent brand but not sure which. sally thingy ones just chip on me if i look at them!

I've found this with SV if I take it over the edge of the colour iykwim
If you keep the SV just inside the edge of the colour it shouldn't lift off.

YoniMitchell Thu 20-Jun-13 14:42:04

Hmm, I use a base too, usually OPI. I think I'll try the essie base and topcoat (love their colours anyway, so may as well try the trio!).

On the plus side, I'm saving on nail polish remover, when I can just peel the colour off!

EMUZ Thu 20-Jun-13 15:09:20

Apparently it happens with Seche Vite if you put it on dry nails. Are you applying it when polish is still wet? It's different to other top coats

YoniMitchell Fri 21-Jun-13 09:56:23

Aha! Thanks EMUZ, I've only had this when I've topped up over dry polish. Sorted!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now