Opinions on this dress and shoes combo for a first date?

(48 Posts)
Hrrrm Sun 16-Jun-13 17:20:27

Meeting a guy this week for my first day since separation a few years ago. Decided that everything in my wardrobe screams mumsy and boring, so thought I'd get myself a 'date dress', just in case it doesn't work out with this one.

This is the dress: www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Mela+Loves+London+Lace+sleeveless+dress./180591317,default,pd.html

And these are the shoes (I already have these):

www.rubyshoesdayhebdenbridge.co.uk/women-s-shoes-c4/womens-heels-c11/clarks-originals-clarks-originals-yarra-bee-lace-up-wedge-shoe-p720

I am the person who wore jeans for a job interview once blush, so please tell me what's appropriate attire for meeting a stranger in the pub...

TIA!

Hrrrm Mon 17-Jun-13 18:16:21

Sorry for not getting back to the thread sooner! Thanks for all the dress suggestions and comments!

I've now looked at my first dress in the shop, and it's really not quite right for the pub, a bit too short and lacy, and it's also empire line, so likely to emphasise the mummy tummy!

Will have a good rummage in my wardrobe tonight. I've also had some kind of epiphany: I should just pretend I'm meeting old friends and dress for that, I reckon. grin

freerangeeggs Sun 16-Jun-13 22:48:00

This looks like it would be very flattering, with maybe a little cardigan, black opaques and black shoes.

Lizzabadger Sun 16-Jun-13 22:31:24

I am old so what do I know, but I would go for either a very casual dress or jeans & nice top. You really don't want to look like you have made too much effort. Have fun!

Fairylea Sun 16-Jun-13 22:30:12

Dress is nice. I'd wear with a denim jacket and flat sandals if weather is nice or little flat shoes.

But.... I hate the shoes. Sorry. Really awful.

Personally I'd wear dark smart jeans for a date in the pub, with a little pretty cardigan or jacket and some heels of some sort or wedge. Sort of smart casual.

polyhymnia Sun 16-Jun-13 22:26:05

Also think those two topshop dresses good for the purpose.

[[http://www.dorothyperkins.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?beginIndex=1&viewAllFlag=&catalogId=33053&storeId=12552&productId=10973119&langId=-1&sort_field=Relevance&categoryId=208648&parent_categoryId=208600&pageSize=20&refinements=category~[1182559|208648]&noOfRefinements=1 This] with Converse and a denim or biker jacket?

freerangeeggs Sun 16-Jun-13 22:25:42

I was talking about the dress in the OP

polyhymnia Sun 16-Jun-13 22:23:38

I meant the Dorothy Perkins one in Tethers second post. Seems younger and mre relaxed to me.

freerangeeggs Sun 16-Jun-13 22:20:17

What's your budget/body type? What sort of things do you like?

I'm 29, so close to you in age. I completely disagree that the dress is too fancy. I always wear dresses though. I'd stick a cardi over it, like you say, and get a pair of small heels to wear with it. I do agree with others who have said the shoes aren't a good match.

You sound like you have the same sort of taste in dresses as me - I like a nipped in waist (none of that hangy stuff) and a flared skirt too.

How about this? Definitely not frumpy! I love it, but haven't seen it in real life. A bit pricey though. This is lovely too.

Hrrrm Sun 16-Jun-13 22:14:30

Quite liking the first one, thanks. (Couldn't find the second one.)

polyhymnia Sun 16-Jun-13 22:14:14

I think the second of those dresses is fine dressed down but the one with the asymmetric hem and the two earlier ones to my mind too try-hard for meeting in a pub.

tethersend Sun 16-Jun-13 22:02:18

How about this?

Or this?

Hrrrm Sun 16-Jun-13 21:47:29

Hmm, I like the second dress. But it looks as if it might be clingy, and the length would make me feel frumpy when I already feel far too frumpy most of the time. I thought going for a dress with a flared skirt which is nipped in at the waist would be more like what some of my colleagues who are my age wear.

tethersend Sun 16-Jun-13 21:35:57

What about something like this with a denim or leather jacket and ankle boots?

Or this with converse? if you must grin

Have you actually bought the dress?

Jeans probably better tbh.

Bestseller Sun 16-Jun-13 21:13:54

Really Welease? Yes, if you're meeting at 5:30, but for 7/8pm, you wouldn't go home and shower/change?

OP, I still think your first choice is fine. If you feel good in the dress and comfy in the shoes you (and he) will have a lovely time.

Hrrrm Sun 16-Jun-13 21:13:51

No, I'm not entirely sure about the dress. I liked the colour (dark blue).

Date is on a weekday evening, yes. The time we agreed as well as the nature of his and my work mean that we won't come straight from work. But I agree, weekday should probably be even more casual than a weekend date.

WeleaseWodger Sun 16-Jun-13 21:08:31

Is your date on weekday? Most people would expect you to wear whatever you were wearing that day to work (unless it's a uniform)

tethersend Sun 16-Jun-13 21:06:24

I'm doubtful- it could just work in a casual prom way, but it could look completely mismatched on anyone over 16...

Is your heart set on wearing the dress?

Hrrrm Sun 16-Jun-13 20:52:41

During the day I usually wear straight leg jeans with a top and cardigan and old worn out converse, for work often a dress with chunky boots when it's cold, and brogues when warmer, or sandals in summer.

I don't go out that often (can you tell?!), but when I do it's usually a dress. Not worried about overdressing then as my friends don't really mind and one of them is always hugely dressed up for everything.

Perhaps I could dress the first dress down by wearing converse, or is that a no?

tethersend Sun 16-Jun-13 20:16:55

I think you need to rethink the whole outfit, tbh.

What sort of thing do you like wearing?

Hrrrm Sun 16-Jun-13 19:59:24

Phew! grin

Young enough! smile

Hrrrm Sun 16-Jun-13 19:36:10

I'm 5'8 and a size 12/14, btw.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now