Opinions on this dress and shoes combo for a first date?

(48 Posts)
Hrrrm Sun 16-Jun-13 17:20:27

Meeting a guy this week for my first day since separation a few years ago. Decided that everything in my wardrobe screams mumsy and boring, so thought I'd get myself a 'date dress', just in case it doesn't work out with this one.

This is the dress: www.houseoffraser.co.uk/Mela+Loves+London+Lace+sleeveless+dress./180591317,default,pd.html

And these are the shoes (I already have these):

www.rubyshoesdayhebdenbridge.co.uk/women-s-shoes-c4/womens-heels-c11/clarks-originals-clarks-originals-yarra-bee-lace-up-wedge-shoe-p720

I am the person who wore jeans for a job interview once blush, so please tell me what's appropriate attire for meeting a stranger in the pub...

TIA!

Bunbaker Sun 16-Jun-13 17:22:22

Lovely dress, but sorry, I think the shoes are awful. They would be fine if you covered them up with wide leg trousers. I think a dress like that needs something a little more dainty on your feet.

The dress is v nice but your shoe choice doesn't quite go. Where are you meeting? If its somewhere quite smart I'd go with the dress and poss a silver shoe? Something a bit daintier and dressy

Bestseller Sun 16-Jun-13 17:28:09

I like them with and think they're fine together, especially for the pub. That Said, id probably go more casual, especially if it's midweek

Hrrrm Sun 16-Jun-13 17:28:20

Oh nooo, I love those shoes... They are so comfy! I did think they might be a bit school-shoe/boring.

I have brown brogues (Clarks Hamble Oak). Would they be any good?

Don't want to be too overdressed, but do want to look like I've made little bit of an effort (just not too much).

Hrrrm Sun 16-Jun-13 17:29:45

Bestseller - more casual in what way? Jeans? I don't have any that look good with anything but scruffy old trainers.

I was thinking of wearing a cardi over the dress if it's a bit chilly.

ThingummyBob Sun 16-Jun-13 17:31:45

Dress is lovely but would be too OTT for a first date in a pub imo. More suited to dinner or cocktails somewhere a bit more glam than the pub iyswim? For a meet up in a pub I'd wear nice jeans and a pretty top, not a dress, especially if you are not used to being 'dressed up' - don't put yourself out of your comfort zone too far for a first date smile

Those shoes need to be worn with trousers I think. Perhaps a peep tie wedge type thing to go with the dress if you don't want dainty?

http://www.next.co.uk/g38250s4

http://www.next.co.uk/g382250s2

Or nice flats?

Bestseller Sun 16-Jun-13 17:32:51

Yes, jeans, but actually I have the same problem atm . Im not ever going to do skinny so all my jeans are very casual indeed.

I really like the shoes and they will dress down the dress. I like your outfit as proposed! Denim jacket? :-D

andlipsticktoo Sun 16-Jun-13 17:37:47

The dress needs 'dressing down' for the pub, so I think the shoes ARE appropriate, and def with a denim jacket.

Arisbottle Sun 16-Jun-13 17:37:51

I think the shoes dress down the dress .

Hrrrm Sun 16-Jun-13 17:43:52

Hmm, not sure now! I like the blue shoes, Fairy. But I just don't look good in ballerinas and they make my feet hurt.

I do have a denim jacket, but never ever wear it as it is quite big. Might even qualify as vintage though as I last wore it when I was 15! grin

Perhaps I should reconsider the dress.

What about this dress in blue? Have had it fora while and really like it for work in the summer.

Arisbottle Sun 16-Jun-13 17:45:31

First dress is much better, the second one is a work dress.

shushmonster Sun 16-Jun-13 17:50:55

I think the dress is gorgeous and would definitely wear that style of shoe with it, Bestseller is right it will dress the outfit down a bit. I would put a little cardi with it as well. Since the rest of the outfit is black you could choose almost any colour cardi.

Having said all that I think you may find your one of the better dressed if you are meeting in the pub.

Good luck for your date I just hope he puts as much effort in as you.

shushmonster Sun 16-Jun-13 17:53:41

Sorry x post I meant the first dress can't see the second one link isn't working on my iPad.

HauntedArmchairOfDoom Sun 16-Jun-13 17:54:35

The shoes dress down the dress brilliantly for the pub. You just need opaque tights and maybe a cardigan or a biker jacket?

HauntedArmchairOfDoom Sun 16-Jun-13 17:56:30

Also those shoes look comfy whilst also giving a bit of length to the leg. If you were them a lot and are at ease with them you'll feel self-assured and confident, which is a hella lot more attractive than feeling all awkward because you're in new shoes!

HauntedArmchairOfDoom Sun 16-Jun-13 17:57:08

FFS! Wear not were!

Aetae Sun 16-Jun-13 18:02:12

I wouldn't wear those shoes with a dress. They look suspiciously cankle making...

The first dress is cute, but I agree with the others - it's a bit dressy for the pub unless you cover it with a cardie or something.

I love the second dress though, more casual. For shoes, the brown brogues would be perfect.

polyhymnia Sun 16-Jun-13 18:10:39

Agree with others - that dress is really pretty but IMO quite a bit too dressy for earlyish evening in the pub, unless you plan to go on somewhere.
Jeans and pretty top would be better, I think. Perhaps this is the opportunity to invest in some smarter jeans - best quality you can afford.

Hrrrm Sun 16-Jun-13 18:15:19

I was thinking dress might be better to disguise my ample bottom!

It's really strange, I just can't decide what to wear! Usually I have a vague feeling for what would be better.

First dress is cute (if you are young) but the shoes are just awful, sorry. That dress, a denim or biker jacket to dress it down and ballet shoes maybe. No to brogues unless you are v young, v tall and will be wearing opaques (but it is June).

Hrrrm Sun 16-Jun-13 19:35:22

I'm 28, is that young enough? blush

Was planning on black opaques if the weather stays the same.

Really not sure now. I think I'll feel awkward whatever I'm wearing, and if he turns out not to be my type, I might feel stupid buying something new. It wasn't this complicated at 18!

Hrrrm Sun 16-Jun-13 19:36:10

I'm 5'8 and a size 12/14, btw.

Young enough! smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now